JPJ wanted to quit LZ?

So I'm reading the September 2010 issue of "*Classic* Rock - Led Zeppelin", page 40, where the article states that after the '73 tour, security was a major concern after receiving serious death threats to the group. Jonsey, I'm guessing worried for his kids and wife, apparently wanted to leave Led Zeppelin. The article states that Peter Grant told Jones, "If you want to leave, you've got to do what you've got to do- but think about it."

I knew Bonzo struggled at times while on tour and at times wanted to leave to get back home, but the JPJ news surprises me, yet it doesn't. JPJ always came across to me as being the most "stable" of the group. Professional, punctual, creative, sincere and probably had the best sense of humor of the group. You have to admit that death threats can't be taken lightly so I can understand why JPJ must have felt uneasy about his future with LZ.

So I'm wondering, what convinced him to stay? Do you think his family, most notably his wife, convinced him to stay? After all, she's the one credited with getting JPJ to call Jimmy about his "new group". I sure would love to hear JPJ's side of this story.

DT

I had thought he wanted to quit because he was tired of all the relentless touring they were doing and was seriously considering taking up the offer of being the choirmaster I think it was, at Westminster Abbey.

Either way, Peter Grant talked him out of quitting.

Charlie Watts came across as stable, but he had to go to rehab in the mid 80s.

When you take into consideration the pace they were going at from summer of 68 to 73. The work hard/play hard they had going, they needed some R&R. Plus that recording-road-recording-road treadmill can get crazy. I think that's also the time they set up Swan Song and signed BadCo, isn't it? I also think "Song Remains the Same" had been planned to be released 74-75.

Archived