Jimmy VS Jimi?

(Didn't know really to put this)

I've been thinking lately while listening to more Hendrix and noticing they are so uniquely talented in their OWN ways, I used to say Hendrix straight away but ever since I got back into Hendrix I've appreciated how talented Pagey actually is..

I just can't decide "I really don't know-ow-ow" as Robert says in MMH

Any Thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Adp1J-Eqz4M

Edited by NobodysFaultButJimmys

Nobody's Fault,

I think it is a good question to ponder. In fact, I asked pretty much the same thing here:

http://forums.ledzep...-in-every-poll/

I'm not sure if that will pull up the thread I started a month ago, but it had some interesting viewpoints. :)

Me personally, I gave in to my true blue feelings and ranked based on who I like and enjoy the most:

1. Jimmy Page

2. Steve Howe

3. David Gilmour

4. Pat Metheny

5. Neil Young

I'll bet it gave a few people a shock that Jimi didn't even make my top five. :o Not that's he's not a tremendous innovator in the field, I know that! ...................:) missy

Jimi Hendrix sucks from day one till the end. Sloppy, out of tune and horrible.... Page for me.

C'mon now! Don't make asinine statements just to get attention. Ask any guitar player over the last 45 years and I would bet the farm that 90% of them would list Jimi at the top of their influence list.

Jimi Hendrix sucks from day one till the end. Sloppy, out of tune and horrible.... Page for me.

Page for me too, anyday. But damn man, have you ever listened to a show from 77? Page is slightly out of tune and sloppy also, sloppy in a good way of course, but never the less.

Ought to watch your mouth. Some of us grownups on here have been playin guitar for many years & have more eligibility for a opinion than you. Have a good day.

Page for me too, anyday. But damn man, have you ever listened to a show from 77? Page is slightly out of tune and sloppy also, sloppy in a good way of course, but never the less.

Ought to watch your mouth. Some of us grownups on here have been playin guitar for many years & have more eligibility for a opinion than you. Have a good day.

Sorry but this is my opinion. And i have listen to some 77 shows of LZ. But Hendrix was always out of tune and totally smacked out. Why is Hendrix so great? He is fu***** overrated. Remember the 60's, there are lots of better guitarists out there. Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page and Ritchie Blackmore! All this guitarists are better than him and also influential guitarists. I don't understand this hype about Hendrix. For me he can not play the guitar. Compare him to Blackmore or Page in his period, he sucks!

Edited by Black-Dog

Sorry but this is my opinion. And i have listen to some 77 shows of LZ. But Hendrix was always out of tune and totally smacked out. Why is Hendrix so great? He is fu***** overrated. Remember the 60's, there are lots of better guitarists out there. Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page and Ritchie Blackmore! All this guitarists are better than him and also influential guitarists. I don't understand this hype about Hendrix. For me he can not play the guitar. Compare him to Blackmore or Page in his period, he sucks!

You are very out of touch.

Blackmore vs Hendrix? ARE YOU INSANE!!

Thats like U2 vs Led Zeppelin in a way.

I think it's funny you say Jimi was "smacked out" all the time, when the reason Jimmy Page was so sloppy in the late 70s was because he was "smacked out" too. He had a rather well-known heroin problem, and even had a damn poppy on the jacket of the white dragon suit he wore in '77. Watch footage from Knebworth; he looks strung out, sweaty, and like he weighs 6 pounds. Thankfully Jimmy is past all that now and playing far better than he did at the time. Which is great for us, because he's far too talented.

That said, everything I've read about Jimi Hendrix talks about him being an alcoholic, a pill-head, and a user of pot and psychedelics, not heroin.

Edited by Electrophile

Saying Jimmy Page is better than Jimi Hendrix, is like comparing Beethoven and Mozart. They were obviously both musical geniuses, and I don't think they can be compared in that way. The same is true of Jimmy and Jimi. They both rank very high. There are only personal preferences.

Of course, my personal preference would be Jimmy Page. :D

Edited by Magic Fills the Air

Dude, I don't even want to get started on you. You are either a kid with little knowledge or someone who's looking for attention. Obviously you know little about the history of rock & roll, otherwise you would understand the importance of Jimi's contribution to it, and especially that of the electric guitar. Never before, nor since, has their been someone that has had the impact that Hendrix had on a particular instrument. I could go on, but what's the use. You'll just return with more nonsense and this would be nothing but a flame war, which I have no interest in being involved in with you. The people on this forum who love and understand music know that and if you can't understand, then maybe you should move on.

I have heard lots of bootlegs of him, i know his music. But nobody wouldn't say to me that he played guitar good. A guitarist that can play with his teeth isn't a good guitarist. Please accepted my opinion. For me there are better guitarists in his time, and not Jimi.

Edited by Black-Dog

I have heard lots of bootlegs of him, i know his music. But nobody wouldn't say to me that he played guitar good. A guitarist that can play with his teeth isn't a good guitarist. Please accepted my opinion. For me there are better guitarists in his time, and not Jimi.

It goes way beyond playing with his teeth, behind his back or any other showmanship tricks. Just because he was the first to do those things doesn't mean that's all he could do. Really listen to his music and then compare it to what others were doing at the time.

That's right, Jimi Hendrix played with his teeth. I don't see what that has to do with anything. If you couched your opinion in something that remotely resembled moderation, people might be more apt to not debate you on it. It's one thing to say "I think Jimmy Page is a better guitarist than Jimi Hendrix", and it's another to say that Page is better because Hendrix has no talent. WTF? So all the guitarists that have come after him who cite him as an influence, and a reason why they picked the damn thing up in the first place, are all liars and/or deluded?

I guess David Gilmour is a liar and deluded, because his early sound with Pink Floyd was VERY Hendrix-influenced.