NASCAR 2011

danelectro59

It's starts in anger tonight with the Bud Shootout. Although there's been some changes, most notably the points system, it's been a fairly quiet off season. The repaved Daytona circuit looks fantastic and Dale, Jr. came a whisper from reaching the 200 mph/lap barrier in yesterday's Shootout practice. Would love to see these cars get back into that area. I remember Bill Elliot hitting 212 mph at Talladega back in 1987 in a TBird, then Bobby Allison's car nearly jumped the fence and that was the end of that. Of course, safety first, but I think we've advanced technically enough so we can let these cars go a little faster.

Anyway, so who's the favorite for the 500 and for the season? A Hendrick car is a safe bet and of course that means Jimmy Johnson. This year, my darkhorse is Clint Bowyer. For some reason, I think he's due to breakout. What do you guys think? Walter?

Yes, Mr. Danelectro59 - you rang?

The repaved Daytona is amazing! We went up there for a tour back in December and you could still smell the asphalt, it was that new - and soooo smooth! Anyway, looks like they have already made the plate smaller for the rest of Speedweeks.

For the 500, I am going to go with Tony Stewart to break through and get his first. For the season, obviously JJ is the pick, but outside of him I am going with somewhat of a dark-horse - Carl Edwards. The Fords seem to have their act together and it is going to take winning a number of races to knock off Johnson and Edwards has shown he is capable of winning a number of races at those final 10 tracks.

Will talk more later.....what about that F1 racer who got hurt at the test last week? Sounds like he'll be out at least 3 months.

Yes, Mr. Danelectro59 - you rang?

The repaved Daytona is amazing! We went up there for a tour back in December and you could still smell the asphalt, it was that new - and soooo smooth! Anyway, looks like they have already made the plate smaller for the rest of Speedweeks.

For the 500, I am going to go with Tony Stewart to break through and get his first. For the season, obviously JJ is the pick, but outside of him I am going with somewhat of a dark-horse - Carl Edwards. The Fords seem to have their act together and it is going to take winning a number of races to knock off Johnson and Edwards has shown he is capable of winning a number of races at those final 10 tracks.

Will talk more later.....what about that F1 racer who got hurt at the test last week? Sounds like he'll be out at least 3 months.

Hey, hey Walter. Thought maybe you jumped ship on us. Anyhoos, love the track, but I kinda wish they'd move that yellow line down a little bit towards the apron. After seeing Hamlin have to go under to pass for the lead at the end of the Shootout, I was disappointed by that because he had nowhere to go and the car to win. Oh well, good to see racing again and I'm looking forward to the weekend starting with Thursdays Duals. Still like Clint, but i've gotta give a nod to this new kid, Bayne, and the fact he's in the 21 car. Never count out Jr. on the plate tracks either.

Haven't been up on the F1 stuff yet, but I did hear about Robert Kubica's misfortune and from what i've heard he's out for at least 3 months.

I disagree on the Hamlin situation. I don't think he had to go below to pass. He had a car width between him and Newman and then he went down (as did Newman). Whatever - they should let them go anywhere there is pavement after the last turn on the last lap at Daytona and 'Dega. Trevor Bayne has been coming on for a while now, driving in the Nationwide Series for MWR - I like him a lot. But, since the Wood Brothers still have a decrepit pit crew, I don't see a very good finish for him in the 500.

Dale Jr. is definitely someone to watch for, but he seems to get lost in the shuffle as the race goes on. He has the best equipment, so who knows? I forgot to mention Gordon as an early season favorite for the title. He and his new crew chief - Alan Guftason (sp.?) will be a good pairing, I believe, this season. Looks like the wife and I are going to the trucks on Friday, to the Nationwide with the kids on Sat. and she is going to the twins on Thurs. (while I'm at work! <_< ). We'll leave the 500 to the 200,000 people up there - it is too big to enjoy anymore. Better to watch that one on the big screen, especially with Direct TV Hot Pass! Looks like fantastic weather the rest of the week here. Anyway, good talking to you - gotta get back to work.

B)

Dano......you said Nascar was for idiots last year or so. :P

I love that new speedway too, and the grass is so green, pleasing to the eye.

I'm going to go for my first pick ever-Gordon. I thought he should have dumped his crew chief a long time ago, and I'm hoping the change will make a difference.

The draft pushing is getting a li scary... :unsure:

But it will be nice to watch till ESPN takes over and I don't get it. :(

Dano......you said Nascar was for idiots last year or so. :P

and who says i'm not one! :blink:

anyway, what a finish and i'm so happy to see the Wood Brothers #21 back in victory lane. Thought for moment it was the 70's again and almost expected David Pierson to jump out of the car.

Boy, I never saw that finish coming! I am very happy for Trevor and the 21 team - great to see a good group of people come out on top! I'm with you Dano, it looked like the 70's all over again with that 21 car in victory lane. I was very depressed on lap 23 when my boys' engine blew up, I mean WTF?

What about ESPN's coverage makes you not understand what's going on - Hotplant?

I see the F1 race in the middle east was being postponed due to the unrest over there.

I see the F1 race in the middle east was being postponed due to the unrest over there.

Yes, they must have had to put Bernie Ecclestone in a straight jacket after he found out he was going to lose all of that dosh. But that's the correct call on that one.

Just saw on nascar.com that Trevor Bayne wrecked his car on the 1st lap of practice at Phoenix. Welcome back to reality Trevor! Too bad for the 21 as I know they don't have that many cars at their disposal. Anyway, based on last year's performance, I will have to pick Denny Hamlin this weekend. He had a great car there last year, just not good fuel mileage. Edwards will be tough also. Have a good weekend!

Just saw on nascar.com that Trevor Bayne wrecked his car on the 1st lap of practice at Phoenix. Welcome back to reality Trevor! Too bad for the 21 as I know they don't have that many cars at their disposal. Anyway, based on last year's performance, I will have to pick Denny Hamlin this weekend. He had a great car there last year, just not good fuel mileage. Edwards will be tough also. Have a good weekend!

Ah, the curse of winning Daytona has struck! Didn't McMurray disappear after winning last year?

• 1 month later...

Well, I just finally woke up after Sat. nights bore fest in Texas. Man 500 miles at that track - at night to boot - is waaaaay too long! Reminds me of the 2 - 24 hour races they have up in Pocono every year! Anyway, the year is generally off to a fine start. My boy, Harvick, has a couple of wins under his belt already. New point system doesn't seem to be any different than the old one.

What about Kimi coming to NASCAR next month? How many F1 guys does that make? Plus isn't Hamilton and Stewart doing the ride swap thing up at The Glen later this summer?

Pull those belt straps tight one more time - it's 'Dega week!! B)

Kimi coming to NASCAR!? Guess I have not been paying attention! slapface.gif

Would love to see a Scandanavian Flick done in a stock car. Not Kimi's dicipline but I bet he could pull it off.

Hope the 2011 version of Tradin' Paint is better than the last one. Suppose Tony's experience, albeit a while ago now, in an Indy style car will help him any? I know what he used to drive is light years behind what the F1 cars are today. The top level drivers are quite adaptable though.

So we have a Harvick fan eh? Did you happen to see the roast they did on him in the off season? I'm not a big fan of his so I enjoyed the roast immensely!

Saturdays race did help me get a good nights sleep, at least a couple of hours in the arm chair.

Yeah, I saw the roast - Delana did quite a job on him! But, that is really their relationship - they poke at each other a lot.

Kimi is first going to run the truck race in Charlotte the weekend of the all-star race. We wants to try out Nationwide and then Cup this season also, but is looking for who would be best to get him into a quality ride. He is going to drive one of Kyle Busch's trucks, but since KBR doesn't field the other levels he is looking elsewhere. Gibbs doesn't run a 4th car, so that would be the logical move - but who knows. It should be interesting to see him at Charlotte though - it's not the easiest track to begin with.

This past weekend was almost like an off-week for me - it seemed like the race never really happened! Friday night was basically the same, other than Busch getting wrecked by the lapped car that broke in front of him.

Delana is a cutie! Wouldn't want to get on her wrong side.

The trucks don't do any road courses do they? The gap between the road course ringers and the regulars is pretty much non existent now anyway.

Wasn't sad to see Busch out of it, but I can't deny the skills. He can drive.

I don't mind the Toyota thing, but I can't get used to hearing "...is leading the race in his Camry." Who races Camry's? It just does not have that racing heritage.

I had heard he was going to drive a Chevy. I guess Toyota dropped a bigger bundle of cash in his lap.

I had heard he was going to drive a Chevy. I guess Toyota dropped a bigger bundle of cash in his lap.

Kahne will be in a Chevy next year, with Hendrick. He needed a place to drive for this season, before his contract kicks in with HMS starting in 2012. So, that is why he is driving for Red Bull (Toyota) this season.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm about to settle down to watch Wind Tunnel with Dave Despain. And he has Robin Miller as a co-host, to boot.

My favorite Dave Despain moment from several years ago

Slurp, slurp, slurp..... yes, NASCAR is sucking Kyle Busch's d!ck again! Let me see if I have this right.....he goes down 4 lanes and intentionally turns another driver in front of about 30 cars coming at a rate of approx. 180 mph, then hits/pushes an unmanned car on pit road when there are crew members, NASCAR officials and media members walking around - and he gets a $25,000 fine along with 4 POINTS race probation???

:wtf:

• 2 weeks later...

ALL-STAR Race this weekend, with a cool $1,000,000 to the winner. Who will it be?

I'll put money on #99.

Also, Kimi's NASCAR debut in Friday night's Truck race.

Tonight is the Pit Crew Challenge as well.

Lots of events in Charlotte over the next two weeks.

Archived