Anybody watching Turner Classic Movies?

freddy fingers

How many?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. HOW MANY?

• WATCH TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES!
    • HAVE A TIMEX?
    • Swim.
    • THINK FUNNY CLOWN ANTICS AND SEALS ARE A TRIP!
    • love LED ZEPPELIN.

• 2 months later...

I like to watch old movies at times. Is anyone here familiar with the book and movies "Madam Bovary"? I watched the 1949 version with Jennifer Jones on AMC. I had previously seen the 1991 version on cable. I have not read the book. But its famous. Anyway, in the second movie there is a change in the story. The Doctor, Charles, the husband of Madame Bovary does indeed do the procedure to repair a disformed leg on a patient. In the 1949 version he decided not to do it. I wonder what happened in the book? Very strange they would change the script in such a classic? AMC has alot of good oldies. Hosted usually by Osbourne and now on Saturday the essentials with Alec Baldwin.

I like to watch old movies at times. Is anyone here familiar with the book and movies "Madam Bovary"? I watched the 1949 version with Jennifer Jones on AMC. I had previously seen the 1991 version on cable. I have not read the book. But its famous. Anyway, in the second movie there is a change in the story. The Doctor, Charles, the husband of Madame Bovary does indeed do the procedure to repair a disformed leg on a patient. In the 1949 version he decided not to do it. I wonder what happened in the book? Very strange they would change the script in such a classic? AMC has alot of good oldies. Hosted usually by Osbourne and now on Saturday the essentials with Alec Baldwin.

Dude, it's TCM, NOT AMC! AMC shows mostly garbage movies with commercial breaks. Robert Osbourne hasn't been on AMC in ages.

Back in the 80s and 90s, yes, AMC was like TCM...showing classic movies uncut. In fact, TCM was created as a response to the demise of the old AMC.

The only great thing about AMC now is Mad Men.

Dude, it's TCM, NOT AMC! AMC shows mostly garbage movies with commercial breaks. Robert Osbourne hasn't been on AMC in ages.

Back in the 80s and 90s, yes, AMC was like TCM...showing classic movies uncut. In fact, TCM was created as a response to the demise of the old AMC.

Ok so I got the damn channel name wrong. Can you answer the question about the movie or not?

Indeed you are correct. Don't know what I was thinking. There are only a thousand channels on this damn thing. TCM it is.

Edited by silvermedalist

Ok so I got the damn channel name wrong. Can you answer the question about the movie or not?

Neither of the two movie adaptations are entirely faithful to the book, but the 1991 is closer than the 1949 in fidelity to the scene you mention.

In Flaubert's novel, Charles does indeed go through with attempting a new operation on the club-footed Hippolyte...I won't reveal anymore lest there are people who haven't read the book yet.

And if you haven't read "Madame Bovary", I urge you to do so...as well as Flaubert's "Sentimental Education". Unlike the hapless Charles Bovary, Gustave Flaubert is a precise surgeon with words. Although, to be honest, I found the character of Madame Bovary equally maddening and sympathetic.

As for why the 1949 Hollywood version felt the need to change that scene, well, that's Hollywood for you. Books were often changed, either due to time constraints, censorship worries, or just plain stupidity.

The only thing the 1949 version has to recommend it, is the luscious Jennifer Jones.

Of course, the 1991 adaptation, besides being a better film and adaptation, has the equally luminous and fine actress Isabelle Huppert.

Haven't seen any of the BBC adaptations, and it's been a long time since I've seen Jean Renoir's 1934 version, but I seem to recall it being pretty good for its time.

Avoid however, the 1932 Albert Ray version, renamed "Unholy Love" and the setting moved to New York.

But above all else, read the book.

I really have to disagree with you about your qoute that "AMC shows mostly garbage movies with commercial breaks".

AMC shows a lot of Great movies (yes, with commercial breaks). As a matter of fact, AMC is having their "Mob" movie week beginning on August 1. the "Godfather(s)", "Scarface", "Goodfellas", etc... All movies I have seen at least a hundred times before but still "Classics" nonetheless. If you choose to call these movies "garbage" that is your opinion and your right.

By the way, MY opinion is that "Breaking Bad" is the Greatest original show on AMC.

I remember AMC when there were no commercial breaks. It seemed the fare then leaned much more towards black and white fare. I enjoyed that because I got to catch up on lots of films I'd never seen, plus some off the beaten path gems you probably wouldn't see anywhere else on cable.

Hi all,

I remember AMC when there were no commercial breaks. It seemed the fare then leaned much more towards black and white fare. I enjoyed that because I got to catch up on lots of films I'd never seen, plus some off the beaten path gems you probably wouldn't see anywhere else on cable.

Agreed,that's when it was so good.One could sit in a favorite chair or your spot on the couch and watch a movie you might never have seen before,....

KB

Neither of the two movie adaptations are entirely faithful to the book, but the 1991 is closer than the 1949 in fidelity to the scene you mention.

In Flaubert's novel, Charles does indeed go through with attempting a new operation on the club-footed Hippolyte...I won't reveal anymore lest there are people who haven't read the book yet.

And if you haven't read "Madame Bovary", I urge you to do so...as well as Flaubert's "Sentimental Education". Unlike the hapless Charles Bovary, Gustave Flaubert is a precise surgeon with words. Although, to be honest, I found the character of Madame Bovary equally maddening and sympathetic.

As for why the 1949 Hollywood version felt the need to change that scene, well, that's Hollywood for you. Books were often changed, either due to time constraints, censorship worries, or just plain stupidity.

The only thing the 1949 version has to recommend it, is the luscious Jennifer Jones.

Of course, the 1991 adaptation, besides being a better film and adaptation, has the equally luminous and fine actress Isabelle Huppert.

Haven't seen any of the BBC adaptations, and it's been a long time since I've seen Jean Renoir's 1934 version, but I seem to recall it being pretty good for its time.

Avoid however, the 1932 Albert Ray version, renamed "Unholy Love" and the setting moved to New York.

But above all else, read the book.

Thanks much for this very well done take on both films. It seems to me that at times Jennifer Jones is a spitting image of Vivian Leigh in this film. I agree the 91 film is slightly better but there are some things the 1949 film has that the 91 film does not have including an excellant narration by the man that portrays Flaubert. I do not know if the triial itselff is fiction or not? My guess is it probably is real based on France of that day. I have to revisit the 91 film as its been years since I have seen it. Though beautiful, she is not Jennifer Jones. Just imaginje a doctor being referred to as a peasant. Ha. That was a first. It is the type of old film that draws you in. You just wonder how life was then. Harder yet more simple. The store clerk in the 49 version is quite a funny character. He passed away the year i was born in 57. I did some reserach on a site I love called "Dead People Server". It links you to the Internet Movie Database (IMOB) and is a fabulous site that I highly recommend.

• 5 months later...

TMC Rules..... Widescreen, proper presentations, and they are commercial free.

Commercials aside..... AMC and USA and ION are just Horrible in their presentations.

The adds, the moving adds thatt appear, while the movie is playing, always "pop-up" at just the "wrong" time. Just totally Unacceptable.

I have taken AMC and USA out of my Guide selections when looking for something to watch. I care not how "great" the movie is that AMC or USA is showing.... if it's on their network, with their Horrible presenations, I will Not watch it.

Speaking of the edited Godfather movies, that's just a FUCKING JOKE ! ! ! They cut out the blue verbage, so as not to "offend", BUT they MOTHERFUCKERS do not cut the "R" Rated violent scenes. Do you know how hypocritical it is to hear blue words cut out, and see R rated violence not edited???

It's sickening. But even if they somehow could get that right.... the networks allowing the adds to scroll and pop up while the movie is playing ---- Unacceptable.

As for TMC, there are NO pop up adds or scrolling adds hawking some show that they feel everyone needs to watch.....

It would be better to not show the Godfather movies, if they are going to have the dialogue cut.

American values of what is and what is not offensive are fucked up.

I still don't have cable or whatever channel Turner is on, but I would rather watch old classic movies than most of the tripe that comes out of Hollywood these days. Obscure films are the best, not the phony ones that make bazillions of dollars which is all they seem to care about these days, like that new one on possession by the devil. 'Fly By Night Productions' I think they are called. :lol: