Los Angeles,CA-The Forum June 26, 1977

DavidZoso

This was the 5th night out of six that Led Zeppelin played at the Fabulous Forum in Los Angeles, California on the 1977 US tour. I want to thank Hotplant for donating her pics to me years ago-she couldn't remember what night she saw as she misplaced her ticket stub so with some detective work I was able to narrow it down to this night. So I want to dedicate this photo thread to Hotplant and Strider as they saw this concert. :D It was a very good show and only the second time the rare encore of It'll Be Me by Jerry Lee Lewis was played on this tour. The other time being in Ft. Worth, Texas with Mick Ralphs of Bad Company joining Led Zep on stage for the encore. I think this is the only show on the 1977 tour and maybe since 1971 (when it was played for the first time) that Rock and Roll was not performed.

Setlist:

The Song Remains The Same

Sick Again

Nobody's Fault But Mine

Over the Hills and Far Away

Since I've Been Loving You

No Quarter

Ten Years Gone

The Battle of Evermore

Going to California

That's Alright Mama

Black Country Woman

Bron-Y-Aur Stomp

White Summer ~ Black Mountainside

Kashmir,

(Out On the Tiles intro) Moby Dick

Jimmy Page solo

Achilles Last Stand

Stairway to Heaven

Encore:

It'll Be Me

Jimmy Page arriving at the venue

539.jpg

The Song Remains the Same - Photo taken by Hotplant

TSRTS6252.jpg

TSRST77CAL.jpg

TSRTS1.jpg

TSRTS4.jpg

TSRTS6.jpg

TSRTS2.jpg

The Song Remains the Same -Photo taken by HotPlant

TSRTS8.jpg

Sick Again -Photo taken by Hotplant

SICKAGAIN.jpg

Sick Again

la77-1.jpg

Sick Again

la77-5.jpg

Sick Again -Photo taken by Hotplant

SickAgain62677.jpg

Sick Again

la77-7.jpg

Nobody's Fault but Mine -Photo taken by Hotplant

NobodysFault.jpg

la77.jpg

possibly Over the Hills and Far Away

zep_rare_600.jpg

la77-rp.jpg

538.jpg

Since I've been Loving You -Photo taken by Hotplant

Since775-1.jpg

The Battle of Evermore

la77-2.jpg

Kashmir

la77-6.jpg

Kashmir

zep_rare_200.jpg

Moby Dick

lz19770626_23.jpg

Moby Dick

77_bonzo.jpg

Guitar solo

540.jpg

Violing Bow solo

la77-pyramid.jpg

Achilles Last Stand

lz19770626_22.jpg

Stairway to Heaven

la77-3.jpg

It'll Be Me

la626772.jpg

Gaaah, those damn satin pants. I'm sure the ladies will disagree, but I never liked Robert in those shiny pants. Jimmy could pull it off, but Robert always reminded me of Peter Frampton when he wore those satin pants on the 77 tour. I preferred him in jeans, or some of the striped or velvet trousers he wore in 69-70.

And yes, I noticed that guitar solo photo mistake, too. That's definitely the Danelectro, which means Kashmir.

Great photos by Hotplant...she had better seats than me. I was in the Colonnade section.

And one of the better laser pyramid shots I've yet to see from this tour. Great job as usual David.

The one that says Guitar solo is Jimmy with the Danelectro guitar. It is probably Kashmir.

Hey thanks for the good eye -you and strider- I can't believe I missed that he had the Danelectro and then JPJ is in the background on keyboards. There is a couple of pics I found for New York, Madison Square Garden June 8, 1977 (Below) and in them Jimmy is using a Les Paul and Robert is playing tambourine. Any idea what song that might be. I have only seen Robert use the tambourine during Thank You -which was't played on the 1977 tour and of course Stairway to Heaven which he uses the doubleneck and not the Les Paul. The only song I can think of is the Out on the Tiles (Over the Top) first part of Moby Dick.

NY6877-1.jpg

NY68772.jpg

^^^

Hey David, what about OTHAFA? Or maybe Trampled Underfoot during the solo? Although judging by the lighting scheme in the pics above, it's not Trampled.

Those are 2 very good choices but at that New York show on Jun 8th they did In My Time of Dying instead of Over the Hills and Far Away(it wouldn't make it's 1977 premier until the next show in New York June 10th and they didn't do Trampled Underfoot that night or any of the nights actually in the New York run.

Those are 2 very good choices but at that New York show on Jun 8th they did In My Time of Dying instead of Over the Hills and Far Away(it wouldn't make it's 1977 premier until the next show in New York June 10th and they didn't do Trampled Underfoot that night or any of the nights actually in the New York run.

Sorry...I should've checked the setlist first. Maybe it is Out on the Tiles...UNLESS...

I'm struck by the fact that JPJ is not in the photo. Whenever Jones played bass, he usually would stand close to Bonzo's kit. The fact that I can't see Jones suggests he might be at his keyboards, which would narrow it to these songs: SIBLY, No Quarter, Kashmir and Stairway.

I haven't heard the June 8 show, so I don't know if you can hear the tambourine in any other song other than Stairway. The fact that Jimmy is playing a Les Paul would seem to eliminate Stairway...as well as Kashmir, leaving SIBLY and NQ.

But what if Jimmy had problems with the doubleneck during Stairway and had to make the switch to the Les Paul for the solo? Then that would account for Plant's tambourine. Also, Jimmy's posture in the photos above suggest a Stairway-esque pose.

Are there any good recordings of the June 8 show? Is there a gap in Stairway that suggests Jimmy is switching guitars?

A very curious picture.

Sorry...I should've checked the setlist first. Maybe it is Out on the Tiles...UNLESS...

I'm struck by the fact that JPJ is not in the photo. Whenever Jones played bass, he usually would stand close to Bonzo's kit. The fact that I can't see Jones suggests he might be at his keyboards, which would narrow it to these songs: SIBLY, No Quarter, Kashmir and Stairway.

I haven't heard the June 8 show, so I don't know if you can hear the tambourine in any other song other than Stairway. The fact that Jimmy is playing a Les Paul would seem to eliminate Stairway...as well as Kashmir, leaving SIBLY and NQ.

But what if Jimmy had problems with the doubleneck during Stairway and had to make the switch to the Les Paul for the solo? Then that would account for Plant's tambourine. Also, Jimmy's posture in the photos above suggest a Stairway-esque pose.

Are there any good recordings of the June 8 show? Is there a gap in Stairway that suggests Jimmy is switching guitars?

A very curious picture.

OK I have edited this and since I first posted this I went and listened to the version of Stairway to Heaven from New York 6-8-77 and that is clearly what happend. About halfway thru Jimmy's solo the guitar is gone for awhile and then he comes back in to finish solo and the tone and volume are totally different-hence switching from the doubleneck to the Les Paul and proving what those pics are of him and Robert on the tambourine.

I have posted a pic from that show where Jimmy is on the doubleneck in the section right before the solo. Then of course the two pics above is when he is playing the solo.

Stairway to Heaven -New York June 8, 1977

lz19770608_10.jpg

I have seen him switch les pauls in the 8mm footage from the New York 6-11-77 show during Achilles Last Stand- right after the solo around 8:40-8:45 it looks like his strap breaks and then he comes back with the red les paul.

Then at the show in Los Angeles 6-22-77 during Achilles Last Stand his guitar cuts out right before he starts the solo and you can hear that mighty 8 string bass from John Paul Jones and then Jimmy comes in for the solo on the red les paul on the audio-it doesn't show it happening in the 8mm footage but it is spliced with the beginning and the last half and you can see he switches from the sunburst les paul to the red les paul like he did in New York.

My link

I can say though I finally narrowed down all 6 nights of the New York shows as to what they wore etc. Only the Los Angeles 6-25 and 27-77 shows are what I am still digging on. Like I said I do believe the 6-27-77 show is the one where Jimmy wore the rose on his jacket.

Yeah, I just had a hunch David, given that Jimmy seemed to have many instances of broken straps, broken strings, faulty amps, etc. on the 77 tour, that it was a guitar switch during Stairway. Glad you had the audio to confirm it.

My confession: I only recently acquired my first 77 MSG show; the first night of June 7. I still haven't heard any of the other New York shows. I don't really know why...it's just never been a priority with me I guess.

Lastly, I am going to concur that that pic of Jimmy with the rose is from 6-27.

I think this is the only show on the 1977 tour and maybe since 1971 (when it was played for the first time) that Rock and Roll was not performed.

Hi David,

Really enjoy your pictures and recaps of all these Zep shows, especially the '77 ones of late!

FYI, was listening yesterday to what I consider the best show of the LA '77 run, the Saturday the 25th show (34 years gone yesterday), and still believe it's the best of the '77 shows in my opinion (I have all shows). Anyway, believe it or not, they didn't play Rock and Roll either on the 25th. The encore was Whole Lotta Love for 2 minutes, then straight into Communication Breakdown, the only time in '77 they played that. Astonishing to believe that Zep skipped playing Rock and Roll for 2 straight shows that year (we know they played it on the last night - 6/27/77).

Now, how do we fund the holy grail of '77 concert photos...TEMPE?

Aw, thanks David. I missed this.

And thanks as usual for helping my memories.

Yeah, Strider, it was however the furthest back I had ever been at a show, row 14 aisle.

But I felt blessed to even have been there as we all had a feeling it could be their last tour. ( On our soil anyway) It was just a general feeling, and sadly it became true.

So I am still thankful to my pal who scored me the ticket....at the 11th hour, and my dear mama who drove me to Cali and had her friends house available for us to stay at.

:peace:

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Administrators

These 2 pics are not from the 25th but are from the next nights show on the 26th

Stairway to Heaven

Correct, thanks David. I've confirmed with the photographer - he now recalls photographing both nights. There's more of these photos to come....

• 4 weeks later...

Sick Again

7423988450_85467d3ab6_o.jpg

Nobody's Fault but Mine

7423995776_67f05a669d_o.jpg

Nobody's Fault but Mine

7424000338_581d020540_o.jpg

Nobody's Fault but Mine

7423998758_0dae4cacf4_o.jpg

Nobody's Fault but Mine or Since I've been Loving You or No Quarter

7424077078_6b844dae56_o.jpg

Black Country Woman or Bron-Y-Aur Stomp