New York 7-29-73 (Mike Quashie backstage)

sam_webmaster

They did. But not alot of it. Look at Black Dog, at the last line of the second verse before the ah, ah part. All up to the shot with Page with the red Paul (which is from the 1st night actually) is from the 29th. There are bits used in:

Rock and Roll

Celebration Day (maybe)

Black Dog

Over the Hills (most probably)

Misty Mountain Hop

SIBLY

No Quarter

TSRTS

Dazed

Heartbreaker

WLL

The Ocean

Rare backstage photo from Mike Quashie, the fire dancer who appeared onstage at MSG, 7-29-73.

NY_7-29-73_QUASHIE1.jpg

NY_7-29-73_QUASHIE2.jpg

Sam, thanks so much for sharing these rare photos of Mike Quashie. He was a NYC institution to so many of us who grew up with and danced to his music, knew of his friendship with Hendrix, saw him onstage with Zep and the Dolls, and met him later when he still lived in the Village and was frequenting Max's and other clubs in the area. Jimmy is one of the musicians who, in recent years, is said to have contributed a guitar for a fund-raiser held for Mike.

I noticed in Mr. Quashie's pic that Jimmy is wearing the jacket with the silver lapels & fringe (my favorite Jimmy outfit) and I have always wondered why in the TSRTS movie for Rock And Roll and Black Dog he is wearing that jacket and then a different one for the other songs. Well finally now I think I might know why- was it because he only wore it on the 29th, and the only footage from that show used was those 2 songs? Was their performance on the 29th not as good as the 2 previous nights?

No, he used it on the opening 3 songs on all 3 nights.

It wasn't the best show of the trio of shows. He likely switches while Robert delivers a plantation.

Here is a list of the songs we have footage of from them:

27th

Whole show (clips, not complete)

28th

Whole show minus Heartbreaker (clips, not complete)

29th

Missing Rain Song, Moby Dick, Stairway, and Thank You (clips, not complete)

No, he used it on the opening 3 songs on all 3 nights.

It wasn't the best show of the trio of shows. He likely switches while Robert delivers a plantation.

Here is a list of the songs we have footage of from them:

27th

Whole show (clips, not complete)

28th

Whole show minus Heartbreaker (clips, not complete)

29th

Missing Rain Song, Moby Dick, Stairway, and Thank You (clips, not complete)

And that would explain why he's also wearing it during Celebration Day on the remastered TSRTS DVD.

Thanks for the info!

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed in Mr. Quashie's pic that Jimmy is wearing the jacket with the silver lapels & fringe (my favorite Jimmy outfit) and I have always wondered why in the TSRTS movie for Rock And Roll and Black Dog he is wearing that jacket and then a different one for the other songs. Well finally now I think I might know why- was it because he only wore it on the 29th, and the only footage from that show used was those 2 songs? Was their performance on the 29th not as good as the 2 previous nights?

It's my favorite of Jimmy's stage costumes too, Stargroves. :D