Titus Andronicus tweets about Led Zeppelin

Driver8

So that's the hip new music, huh? That sucked on every level. They look like a bunch of redneck Quakers. And is that bear-singer-dude growing that beard for a bet?

How the fuck did they get a record deal.

The music out there is so shit now this is the cream of the crop winning best album or something last year, its horrible

Which is why nobody trusts Jahfin or people who think Keith Richards and George H. are even comparable to Page.

I've never said I don't like Led Zeppelin.

The music out there is so shit now this is the cream of the crop winning best album or something last year, its horrible

There have been so many albums released this year that I would like to purchase that I haven't even come close to keeping up with them all. There's plenty of good new music out there, at least that's been my experience.

Eh, nothing really to get upset about, in my opinion. Lots of bands talk shit about other bands...you should have heard what David Lee Roth used to say about bands like AC/DC and Rush. Didn't keep me from listening to either of them...or to Van Halen, for that matter.

Or take the war of words Lou Reed and Frank Zappa used to engage in back in the day. And the Velvet Underground and Frank Zappa/Mothers of Invention were two of my favourite groups, so at first I was in a conundrum: should I like or not like a certain group just because another musician dissed them?

After thinking about it, I realized that 1) that was silly; and 2) that much of what musicians said about each other was governed by jealousy, envy, goofing off, or trying to create publicity or controversy for themselves.

I learned to take musician's slurs with a grain of salt. It certainly helped that I was a Led Zeppelin fan, who since the beginning have been the target of potshots by everyone from the Who, Stones, Kinks, Jethro Tull in the early days to the punks and college-rock crowd in the 70s and 80s.

As a Led Zeppelin fan, you develop a thick skin to this sort of thing, so don't let this Titus tweet bother you. He obviously wanted to say something that he knew would create a stir and get his band's name out there and increase his tweet account. By even replying to him, you're playing his game.

Better to ignore childish taunts like these...talent and time always wins out in the end. Ask yourself where John Mendelsohn is these days?

Is Titus Andronicus a good band? I don't know as I haven't heard any of their music yet. But Led Zeppelin's status is secure enough to withstand any criticism from band or writer, so I won't let what Titus says influence whether I like their music or not when I finally do give them a listen.

Besides, I barely post and I am not on facebook, so I'm certainly not going to tweet. Like Led Zep Girl said, my life isn't that interesting...and even if it was, I wouldn't feel the need to tweet about it.

Tweeting is just one more facet of 21st century life that leaves me shaking my head.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally what I find annoying about this kind of comment is that its more than likely just a childish recycling of punk sentiment than it is a real dislike of Led Zep. Whether John Lydon actually hated Zep and Floyd(he's since admited he didnt actually dislike the latter) his comments at the time carried a real message, that muscians who had been held back by the megabusiness rock had become by the mid 70's were going to break up the established order.

This is exactly the kind of band that Pitchfork like critics simpley cannot be trusted to give a realistic opinion on either if you ask me, anyone plowing this kind of hipster lo fi furrow can be pretty much garenteed praise from those quarters no matter how bland there actual music is. A video of a twenty something girl lying down in the snow with an analog tape recorder just about somes up what cliched hipsters they are if you ask me.

Whether John Lydon actually hated Zep and Floyd(he's since admited he didnt actually dislike the latter)

I saw Public Image Ltd at the Reading Festival in 1992 and they did Kashmir as an intro.

You can just hear the last few notes of it in this video.

Good point.

It is of course complete and utter bollocks for anyone to suggest that all the punks hated Zep & trad rock. Loads of punk musicians were dyed-in-the-wool rock heads, who'd previously failed to make the grade in normal rock bands. Just look at Mick Jones. And Lydon's a self confessed prog/Hawkwind fan. I could go on...and then you got 'punk' musicians who, after the bubble burst, went on to form or join trad rock/NWOBHM bands. Eg Fred Purser out of Penetration, who ended up in the Tygers Of Pan Tang I believe.

No, you're right, the key issue in punk was the proliferation of the 'hey, we can do this too!' ethos, after a few punk bands had made a mark with independent releases. And I suspect that all the verbal grand-standing at the time was less a case of hatred than one of jealousy. But it sounded good at the time, for them to be dissing all the old relics. It even sounded like they meant it, maaan.

I do think theres some truth to the idea that rock had become a closed shop by the mid 70's as the big record companies scambled to sign the already established acts for massive sums rather than invest in new talent. In that enviroment resentment is only natural and while I don't think Zep and Floyd were as worthy of criticism as the likes of ELP or Yes they were the obvious figureheads of the established order.

Just throwing the same sentiment around as a retro fashion accessory when its lost all meaning as I suspect Titus Andronicus are annoys me though really sums up the band and many other punky lo fi hipsters like them for me. Where as Lydon though PiL, The Clash, Joy Division etc advanced into pushing the boundries of rock they offer up tracks called Upon Viewing Bruegel's "Landscape With the Fall of Icarus" that sound like a Dropkick Murphes outtake. No sense of thery bringing forward influences like Krautrock that had previously been held back as in the 70's just dull retreds totally unworthy of being called revolutionary.

Eh, nothing really to get upset about, in my opinion. Lots of bands talk shit about other bands...you should have heard what David Lee Roth used to say about bands like AC/DC and Rush. Didn't keep me from listening to either of them...or to Van Halen, for that matter.

Or take the war of words Lou Reed and Frank Zappa used to engage in back in the day. And the Velvet Underground and Frank Zappa/Mothers of Invention were two of my favourite groups, so at first I was in a conundrum: should I like or not like a certain group just because another musician dissed them?

After thinking about it, I realized that 1) that was silly; and 2) that much of what musicians said about each other was governed by jealousy, envy, goofing off, or trying to create publicity or controversy for themselves.

I learned to take musician's slurs with a grain of salt. It certainly helped that I was a Led Zeppelin fan, who since the beginning have been the target of potshots by everyone from the Who, Stones, Kinks, Jethro Tull in the early days to the punks and college-rock crowd in the 70s and 80s.

As a Led Zeppelin fan, you develop a thick skin to this sort of thing, so don't let this Titus tweet bother you. He obviously wanted to say something that he knew would create a stir and get his band's name out there and increase his tweet account. By even replying to him, you're playing his game.

Better to ignore childish taunts like these...talent and time always wins out in the end. Ask yourself where John Mendelsohn is these days?

Is Titus Andronicus a good band? I don't know as I haven't heard any of their music yet. But Led Zeppelin's status is secure enough to withstand any criticism from band or writer, so I won't let what Titus says influence whether I like their music or not when I finally do give them a listen.

Besides, I barely post and I am not on facebook, so I'm certainly not going to tweet. Like Led Zep Girl said, my life isn't that interesting...and even if it was, I wouldn't feel the need to tweet about it.

Tweeting is just one more facet of 21st century life that leaves me shaking my head.

A very good post there Strider. That comment (or tweet as all the folks who use this twitter thing call it) actually made me laugh rather than stir emotions such as anger. I also think that this band is pretty arrogant in its attitude and stupid to say the least. Led Zeppelin is probably one of the best bands there ever will be. And who are "Titus Andronicus"?! Absolute nobodys, I bet! Besides, people have told me that quite a few bands these days (especially indie bands) actually take to social networking tools like twitter and face book to promote themselves. Well, what with this sort of "tweeting" and arrogance, "Titus Andronicus" will certainly not be getting many fans anytime soon, I bet! Anyway, I am happy to say that I am not on twitter. I am a rather private person and besides, most of the time I have nothing "intersting" to talk about. I used to be on Facebook (because my friends bugged me to join up), but that was a bloody nightmare from the start and one fine day, I made up my mind that enough is enough and I deleted my profile and quite frankly, I couldn't be happier, thank you.

They are quite obviously trolling for attention.

The whole hipster thing makes me want to cringe and heave simultaneously.

Nothing is more irritating to me than that elitist, "on a higher plane than the rest of you" bullshit.

Idiots.

Couldn't resist checking it out.

I copied the bulk of relevant remarks.

If you're not familiar with Twitter (I wasn't), the posts begin at the bottom and go up.

I wasn't about to rearrange the order for easier reading. lulz

I am, however, absolutely nauseous from reading all this masturbatory, pseudo-philosophical fluff.

This 140-character intellectualism is more than the average person can stomach.

titus_ndronicus Titus Andronicus

@imhrln I guess I would like our art to be inclusive, but every single thing I say can't possibly be inclusive - lots of people are assholes

11 Dec

@mariasherm Then never share it with anyone or tell anyone what you saw, especially anything I said or did or looked like!! #highschool #gah

11 Dec

@thecautioners I do love you and I am yr friend, and I agree that any attention is good, even if we must get into trouble. Thems the breaks!

11 Dec

People be trying to get me to check e-mail on the regular - what do you think this is? #indierock #slacker

11 Dec

@mariasherm Wow, that is #RARE Contact @alextretiak

11 Dec

Hey, nobody tweet at me unless you are a full devoted Titus fan and will take lots of shit from me. I can't handle that, you randoms.

11 Dec

@LemarPage Oh shit, yr profile says yr 'Jimmy Page's biggest fan.' Maybe I should just leave you alone. #sorry

11 Dec

Damn, getting a little smart-ass-ey on here. #slipperyslope

11 Dec

@LemarPage I didn't know there was such a thing as God. #theresnot

11 Dec

@LemarPage More like one of the biggest douchebags of all time.

11 Dec

#NP new Titus demos - they sound pretty good, but not good enough!! #everydayimhustling

11 Dec

Need it be said that one is the loneliest number, consider the words 'one' and 'lonely' have a common derivative? #Latin #Nilsson #3dognight

11 Dec

@imward You haven't seen the half of it, hoss.

11 Dec

@tthornb @JustinRMcIntosh You got it! LMFAO. #busted

11 Dec

@LemarPage Yr just saying that because the guitar player is yr lame ass dad or something.

11 Dec

@ChurchesBand Sorry, dude. There are a plenty of other bands out there who would be happy to provide content for you, I am sure. #wetried

11 Dec

ChurchesBand Caleb Nichols

saw a tweet from @titus_ndronicus - rubbed me the wrong way. looked at their website - rubbed me the wrong way. horse a bit high 4 me.

10 Dec

Retweeted by titus_ndronicus

The winner of the dance contest is now shirtless @sheastadiumbk

10 Dec

The kids are losing it @sheastadiumbk

10 Dec

These kids are curious in their dress, but there is nothing ambiguous about how they dance.

10 Dec

Kids are now serving each other to this music. This is incredible. @sheastadiumbk

10 Dec

...same way as, say, a guitar.

10 Dec

a guitar.

10 Dec

My theory? Video games are a form of cultural currency that is not solely the property of 'musicians' or 'music industry types' in the s ...

10 Dec

This chiptune night at @shea stadiumbk is, like, the most inclusive thing I have ever seen - how are they doing this??

10 Dec

Nah, this guy is an asshole tho youtube.com/watch?v=0PAJNn… #realtalk #Decision2012

10 Dec

SenatorSanders Bernie Sanders

If you think corporations are not persons, sign here: sanders.senate.gov/savingdemocracy #FiliBernie

10 Dec

@GrahamEStarr Now, we wait until the moment when I tell them to go and get you. #yrdemise No, not really, though - I'd never hurt you.

10 Dec

Wow, is this the first @titus_ndronicus 'meme' or w/e? s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.co… #DontGiveAFuck

10 Dec

@GDF_X @JustinRMcIntosh Yr just saying that because they have dope beats sometimes! Doesn't excuse the other crimes on guitar and voice.

10 Dec

Apparently, tonight at @sheastadiumbk is some video game thing, not what I said before. Shows what I know.

10 Dec

braxtol braxtol

@titus_ndronicus @tedleo LedZep & Beatles are overt not advanced. #AdvancedGeniusTheory

10 Dec

@TheNicoOrtega What about people who were already pretty far gone in terms of talking out their ass? #yrboy

10 Dec

@JustinRMcIntosh See also: The Cure.

10 Dec

JustinRMcIntosh Justin McIntosh

@titus_ndronicus I used to like Zeppelin when I was a teenager, which is how I now know they suck.

10 Dec

Granted, @tedleo George > Brian Jones, Mick Taylor, Ron Wood, but srsly, who cared about those guys, and again, it isn't a contest!

10 Dec

@tedleo Even with that brittle-ass Music Man, surely you don't mean to say George > Keith. Also, I hear you have an Evil (Red) Twin at home?

10 Dec

Also, Beatles vs. Stones is the least real contest of all time. Second least real contest: every presidential election. #MoneyWinsAgain

10 Dec

@tedleo All right, I guess I bit off a little more than even I could chew saying the Beatles are no good. Still, < Stones #realtalk

10 Dec

Just make sure you have permission before you try to take a squirt. In fact, get it in writing. English people be crazy. #realtalk

10 Dec

Better make amends at @sheastadiumbk tonight, for the very last Perfect Prescription ever. It is a pretty cool party, actually!

10 Dec

...unsanctioned bathroom break, then smirking like a smug bastard the whole time, much to said promoter's fury. That was so funny! #LMFAO

10 Dec

@sheastadiumbk memories: working the door at the first Perfect Prescription party, getting berated by the promoter upon returning from an...

10 Dec

I love everyone coming out of the woodwork right now to say Zepplin sucks. #BREAKTHESILENCE

10 Dec

@JakePollock Are you talking about the White Stripes?

10 Dec

@chrismelloband Whoops, yr right! I forgot that we abandoned such obsolete visions of morality way back in the 19th century. Good catch!

10 Dec

@lukeandetc I have been playing rock and roll for thirteen years now. I have heard every single Zepplin song thrice, at least. Every one.

10 Dec

@lukeandetc Difference is, he and I bond over Jethro Tull, who rock and have a sick flute and don't swing their dicks around quite as much.

10 Dec

@lukeandetc I guess it is okay if it lets you feel closer to yr dad - how could I get mad at something like that? I love my dad.

10 Dec

@MarkHimley On a legislative level, sure, Zepplin are blameless, but they did turn rock and roll into a dick-swinging contest. #yestheydid

10 Dec

Then people say, "Led Zepp is good, that is a fact, I read it in a real magazine." They're not fucking good! They're just not! They're not!!

10 Dec

Then back issues go out of print, criticism gets forgotten, and a crass, capitalist consensus gets written in stone for future generations.

10 Dec

These magazines, man - they tell you what they think you want to hear, you pay them for it, and everyone is happy as pigs in shit.

10 Dec

..."Okay, it turns out this band is actually good, or something, so let's make that our policy so we can sell this magazine."

10 Dec

Not because Zep is "advanced" or something - just became they were commercially validated, and then the magazines said...

10 Dec

...by those who had said money. Why do you think Rolling Stone panned every Zep album, then gave five stars to every reissue?

10 Dec

Why? Because history is written by the winners. Led Zep sucked ass in '69 but they made money, so history was revised...

10 Dec

I promise you that, in 40 years, people will be saying, "How can you say Fucked Up is actually better than Coldplay? Stop trying 2 b cool!"

10 Dec

@MarkHimley I am sure that you are actually a good guy, but this time, I am right and you are wrong. #sorry

10 Dec

@MarkHimley I'd argue that it is not I who is ignorant, but rather that you are a brainwashed drone, all too happy to bend over for the man.

10 Dec

This guy explains it all youtube.com/watch?v=iqiZJ9… #FernandesSustainer

10 Dec

Speaking of me spending my money, watch for yr boy using this technology in 2012. youtube.com/watch?v=cGpfOG… #guitars

10 Dec

These guys were fucking robots youtu.be/NVLRKk0EJTI and by that I mean, they were robots designed for the purpose of fucking you.

10 Dec

Smooth ass jacket removal at around 2:05 youtube.com/watch?v=z_MG1Z… RIP Bon Scott #highvoltagerockandroll

10 Dec

sosoglos The So So Glos

led zeppelin was cool before they started calling themselves audioslave

10 Dec

You know who I do like though? AC/DC!! Kick ass. youtube.com/watch?v=z_MG1Z… #BlackSG

10 Dec

Okay, that was a lie. I bought 'Rubber Soul' on compact disc when I was, like, fifteen. That was a good one. #drivemycar

10 Dec

Hmmm, what other bands do I think suck? You know, I have never owned a Beatles album. Probably not buying one anytime soon either!

10 Dec

@amvanimere Nice job using their own words against them! Love that. xo

10 Dec

I'm sorry, I ain't trying to have no 'She' by Tyler the fucking Creator on my Facebook feed. #norapejams

10 Dec

Going wild on social media - now I am deleting Facebook friends who post videos of artists I don't care for. #trueasshole #2011

10 Dec

Pardon me - "would've taken it from there." Dissing Zep makes me loopy!

10 Dec

Had 'Led Zepplin I' never been released, 'White Light/White Heat' would have gone to number one, and we wouldn't taken it from there.

10 Dec

@BillyDonnellan See you around.

10 Dec

Also a nice set of golden drill bits and 'Empire Strikes' on VHS. Also, a poem by this Abigail Mott lady, mine for two bucks. #localbusiness

10 Dec

CONSUMER REPORT! Saturday afternoon, Bedford Ave. street vendors. Good acquisitions today! Burroughs' 'Junky' and Mailer's 'Prisoner of Sex'

10 Dec

Instead, frustrated and entitled young men everywhere are to forever bust their nuts upon their Les Pauls. We were SO CLOSE!! #fail

10 Dec

Had Led Zepplin never existed, rock and roll would have covered the earth by now and brought about a perfect utopia.

10 Dec

Maybe I understated it earlier - IMHO, Led Zepplin is the shittiest band of all time - certainly did more to ruin rock and roll than anyone.

10 Dec

@challigator It did not.

10 Dec

@tomlolcatz We have a new song about how precious or valuable things may sometimes get left out in the rain and ruined. #consumersociety

10 Dec

@excellenettunes Only defending his right 2 sometimes forget some1's name - nobody's perfect. Let us dis him for good reasons, not silly 1s.

10 Dec

@evilweevil Ok, we will.

10 Dec

@BHatty2 Close to one hundred percent. Probably like ninety five percent or so, realistically.

10 Dec

Still not a fan of this Led Zepplin.

10 Dec

Titus Andronicus

"Hmmm, what other bands do I think suck? You know, I have never owned a Beatles album. Probably not buying one anytime soon either!"

Indie angst at its' very finest there.

I wonder if he really believes his own bullshit.

Archived