The New Orleans Thread

Rock Historian

RH - going to any parades? If so, which ones? We have a few here in Lafayette, but growing up in N.O. and going to all the parades there, Lafayette's just don't even come close and it's sort of a downer. I don't even bother anymore.

My sister wants me to join the Pussyfooters with her. When I found out that their full title was "The Pussyfooters - Majorettes from the Mothership", how can I not!!!!!!!

I really don't know if I'm going to any or not-so far I haven't been. I'd really like to go to St. Charles for a few of the big ones, and also for Mardi Gras day- Actually come to think of it, I will be going to Thoth. A bandmate of mine lives two blocks off the route. So I'll be doing that this Sunday Feb. 19th -(he's having a party at his house and we will walk up to catch it) It's a shame really, cause I've have had plenty of invites in the last few years to go to Bourbon St. on the balcony for Mardi Gras day....that's just not my cup of tea. I can't stand big crowds like that, where you can't move-even though I'd be up above. It's the gettin' there and leavin' that I'm not crazy about. Jazz Fest is about the one time a year I get caught up in the mix of that sorta thing........

Edited by Rock Historian

I know exactly what you mean RH, in the past 20 or so years we've had numerous invites to go to the quarter and hang out on the balconies for the weekend before Mardi Gras and Mardi Gras day but it's just too damned crowded and a pain in the ass to get in and out of there. We went once and swore we'd never go again. Too many crazies and too many drunks. It was fun back way back when, but I don't think you could pay me to go now.

We have been to the Sunday parades, (Thoth, Mid-City, some other one I forget and then Baccacus) and stood on the corner of St. Charles Ave. and 2nd St. We know the owners of an apt. building right there and that was fun. Not wall to wall people, a lot of families and not so crazy and drunk. I would do that again. Also, it's nice when you have a place to get away from it all if you want and use the restroom, get something to eat, mix a drink, etc. If you're going to Thoth, you should just stay for all the parades that day, especially Baccacus. I love the flambeaux carriers and that they still use them.

And Deb, wouldn't that be fun to join an all female walking krewe that dresses up like drag queens and struts through the streets of N.O.? I would love it, but I don't know if these old knees would love it. I'd have to double up on the celebrex - LOL.

I know exactly what you mean RH, in the past 20 or so years we've had numerous invites to go to the quarter and hang out on the balconies for the weekend before Mardi Gras and Mardi Gras day but it's just too damned crowded and a pain in the ass to get in and out of there. We went once and swore we'd never go again. Too many crazies and too many drunks. It was fun back way back when, but I don't think you could pay me to go now.

We have been to the Sunday parades, (Thoth, Mid-City, some other one I forget and then Baccacus) and stood on the corner of St. Charles Ave. and 2nd St. We know the owners of an apt. building right there and that was fun. Not wall to wall people, a lot of families and not so crazy and drunk. I would do that again. Also, it's nice when you have a place to get away from it all if you want and use the restroom, get something to eat, mix a drink, etc. If you're going to Thoth, you should just stay for all the parades that day, especially Baccacus. I love the flambeaux carriers and that they still use them.

And Deb, wouldn't that be fun to join an all female walking krewe that dresses up like drag queens and struts through the streets of N.O.? I would love it, but I don't know if these old knees would love it. I'd have to double up on the celebrex - LOL.

Double up on a few extra mixed-drinks, :beer: that'll get the knees workin! Or feelin no pain... Well, then there's always the day after. Yes, I am going to Thoth and I don't believe I don't have work the next day, so I will more than likely stay for them all. My buddy has a house on the corner of Chestnut and Jefferson. That's were I'll be until we walk down to the parades. Will you be going to that? Also, I was hoping Deb was going to make it down this year, looks like it won't happen though-that sucks...sorry Deb :(

Just spent Valentine's Day in the French Quarter, had an awesome time.

As we walked into a souvenir shop, we met Elle Varner, who's got a video called I Only Want To Give It To You.

She was in town playing the Estelle.

Here's her video.

http://vevo.ly/p5tFJ0

Forum members might get a kick out of the shirt I'm wearing - matches my forum avatar. Lulz

post-4573-0-01162100-1329353869.jpg

Edited by TypeO

Double up on a few extra mixed-drinks, :beer: that'll get the knees workin! Or feelin no pain... Well, then there's always the day after. Yes, I am going to Thoth and I don't believe I don't have work the next day, so I will more than likely stay for them all. My buddy has a house on the corner of Chestnut and Jefferson. That's were I'll be until we walk down to the parades. Will you be going to that? Also, I was hoping Deb was going to make it down this year, looks like it won't happen though-that sucks...sorry Deb :(

Hi RH and justawoman:-) I wished I could have made it. I know we could have all had a great time..Hell yea, we could dress up and join in. You know we would have a blast....Next year my condo in the quarter, Bourbon Street is one block over!!! We get tired, we can go rest and start again!!! I have been to Mardi Gras 29 times and it's about time to do it again as it's been about 5 years for me now.

:party:

TypeO, great photo:-) ^^

Deb, anytime you make a visit to N.O., let me know and I'll do my damnst to meet up w/ you. Sounds like a plan for next Mardi Gras - I might need a dose by then.

Cool pic Type O, NOLA is such a great place to spend Valentine's Day. In fact, my daughter got engaged on Valentine's Day in front of St. Louis Cathedral. Don't know who Elle Varner is though - sorry - I'm out of the loop sometimes.

And RocHis, LOL, I'm afraid if I had too much to drink to numb the pain, it would make things so much worse, I could fall down and be in a hell of a mess. :injured: I better stick with the celebrex and moderate amounts of alcohol.

Sadly, I don't think we're going to make any N.O. parades this year. We might be going on a big summer vaca and reserving our resources. Have fun (I know you will) and pace yourself, it's a long day! :D You need to post pics!

Edited by justawoman

There is Jane's Addiction and there is JANE'S ADDICTION!!! While all the various later lineups have had their moments and they even had one brief reunion with Eric Avery back in the fold, it is the Jane's Addiction of 1986-1991 where the legend was forged. The line-up of Perry, Dave, Eric and Stephen that created some of the most bewitching and hypnotic concerts I've ever witnessed this side of Led Zeppelin.

Jane's Addiction was born in Los Angeles, but with their shaman-esque spell and voodoo vibe, they could have just as easily come from New Orleans. In fact, the band LOVED playing New Orleans and their shows there rank among the best in their history.

Today is February 15...so it is the 21st anniversary of one of those great shows: Feb. 15, 1991 at the Municipal Auditorium, New Orleans, LA.

"Ritual de lo Habitual" came out in August 1990, and to tour the album, JA did three tours. The first was their 1990 tour of Europe and America. The third and last leg was the first Lollapalooza Festival tour that Perry put together for the summer of 1991. Of course, by Lollapalooza, band tensions and drug addictions were at their highest and most volatile, so you never could be sure what kind of JA show you were going to get: EPIC GODHEAD or a train wreck.

That is why among many of us JA addicts, it is that second leg...the early 1991 tour from Feb. to May...that ranks as the last great tour. For one thing, the band added to the lineup ex-Camper Van Beethoven violinist Morgan Fichter, which allowed JA to add "Of Course", "Classic Girl", and "Then She Did" to the set with Morgan adding haunting violin.

They played 4 nights at the Universal Amphitheatre here in Los Angeles, with Nine Inch Nails as the opening act. I saw 3 of the four concerts and they remain among the best and most indelible concerts of my life. Shortly after those shows, they hit New Orleans for a show at the venerable Municipal Auditorium.

Miraculously, somebody was filming and I found three clips of the show on YouTube, including the mesmerizing "Then She Did", with the lovely Morgan Fichter lending her talents. Enjoy.

Curious to know if any of you NOLAs were there? Deb, Rock Historian, jjustawoman?

Edited by Strider

A few random iPhone pics from Valentine's Day yesterday...

Bourbon Street

424959_3057513811171_1663144962_2678384_1127291461_n.jpg

Living Statue

409441_3057523091403_1663144962_2678397_22571844_n.jpg

Never know who you're gonna meet...

427311_3057532331634_1663144962_2678408_1606143417_n.jpg

Seemed almost out of place amidst all the revelry...

421396_3057537251757_1663144962_2678417_1185815691_n.jpg

Bananas Foster at the Palace Cafe’ = mouthgasm.

430316_3057498210781_1663144962_2678372_1205385941_n.jpg

Obligatory Bourbon Street sign photo.

426200_3057470810096_1663144962_2678340_679151027_n.jpg

Absolutely the most fun we've had in a long time.

^ Blood TypeO - Negative, great picks man! Glad you had a good time. Im sure you saw some sights that will remain with you for a while.... Did you catch any parades in your day(s) here? How about Cafe' Du' Monde.......try some beignets? Also, I see you enjoyed some Banana's Foster!!! Did ya'll stay in a hotel in the French Quarter, or was it all booked up?

Curious to know if any of you NOLAs were there? Deb, Rock Historian, jjustawoman?

I was there Strider! One of the best shows I've seen. JA was very popular around this time. As they used to say in the old days, If you didn't go to this show , you were "SQUARE". I think half of my high school went to this show. The day after, everyone sported their prized concert shirt. I know a few people who taped this show with a cassette recorder. I also saw them at Lollapalooza in 92'. .......... That was my Woodstock!!!

Edited by Rock Historian

^ Blood TypeO - Negative, great picks man! Glad you had a good time. Im sure you saw some sights that will remain with you for a while.... Did you catch any parades in your day(s) here? How about Cafe' Du' Monde.......try some beignets? Also, I see you enjoyed some Banana's Foster!!! Did ya'll stay in a hotel in the French Quarter, or was it all booked up?

Didn't see a parade :(

Didn't find Cafe Du Mond, and a friend actually specifically mentioned to look for it.

And no beignets - and more than a couple friends mentioned those, as well.

We stayed at the Queen and Crescent, about a block or 2 from the Quarter - an easy walk.

And yes, the Bananas Foster was insanely good.

My only regret? I'm so disappointed I didn't bring my new DSLR camera.

The iPhone pics are adequate to capture the memories, but the photos ops were so many, it was a huge mistake not to bring the good camera.

Oh well.

Never make that mistake again.

Hi Strider-I was not at Jane's Addiction concert. I am sure it was a great concert as Rock Historian stated.

TypoO, The photo's are great!! One thing about the Quarter is you never know what you will see. No Coffee and Beignets :coffee: I have to go anytime I am in the city!

I was here though...what can I say I have always loved Phil Collins :peace:

Genesis Live New Orleans 25 January 1984 Old Medley with Behind the Lines!

Edited by Deborah J

Thanks Rock Historian and Deborah for your replies. Too bad you missed out on JA, Deb, but totally understandable given the work situation.

Consider yourself lucky, RH, for as "popular" as they were in 91, many kids still missed out on them...either still stuck on the "hair metal" bands or the boy bands of New Kids on the Block, Boyz II Men or Colour Me Badd.

TypeO, those are some great photos...looks like you had some fun soaking in the local colour.

TypeO, those are some great photos...looks like you had some fun soaking in the local colour.

We did!

With 3 kids, it's not often we get to do "grown folks" activities.

I shot this video of some awesome street performers.

They took so long to "warm up" (stretching, messing with their audio equipment, etc.) that I almost gave up on them and kept walking.

I'm glad I waited.

I love your photos TypeO. My husband I have been going to NOLA for the past couple of years when the boys are at summer camp. Taking the kids would be a HUGE buzzkill. I can have a gin and tonic that I buy from a bar in the French Quarter at 10 in the morning after having a night out, walk around drinking it and visit shops and galleries that don't contain toys...for children. No whining allowed unless it is me complaining of the heat.

Zebra , or as we call em' here (Ze-brah, Brah) are from New Orleans. They got their start playing all Zeppelin material at Proms around the city.

Here's a song from the first album, with a very cheesy video. The keyboard/bass player looks like Marc Singer from "The Beastmaster" :D

Zebra plays Zep -1979

Edited by Rock Historian

I didn't know you had extended family from that area...

I don't know if I ever responded to this but my wife was born in Thibodaux, LA, as was her mother and her grandmother, etc. Her mother remarried and the new husband moved them over to Mobile, AL which is where I met her. My wife's brother and sister also left Thibodaux, but all of her aunts, uncles & cousins are still there. I feel like I need a Cajun Rosetta Stone program to talk with them. ;)

Back to New Orleans.....

42181161437954705119049.jpg

Sorry for the tardiness in posting this...

In anticipation of Mardi Gras, last week's David Letterman show had an amazing performance by Erykah Badu, Mark Ronson, the Dap Kings and legendary Meters drummer Zigaboo Modeliste. It's part of this music project called "RE:Generation". Erykah Badu is one badass Soul Sista!!! Enjoy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKOwzHaPQOg&feature=youtube_gdata_player