Jimmy Page and Guitar Festivals

reppinzeppelin

I just completed watching the 2010 Crossroads Guitar Festival DVD (which I would highly recommend seeing). Anyway, among the guests were Ronny Wood, BB King, ZZ Top, etc. Just wondered why Jimmy never does festivals like this as it would seem like great fun for him and kind of the norm for aging blues artists (no offense intended).

I just completed watching the 2010 Crossroads Guitar Festival DVD (which I would highly recommend seeing). Anyway, among the guests were Ronny Wood, BB King, ZZ Top, etc. Just wondered why Jimmy never does festivals like this as it would seem like great fun for him and kind of the norm for aging blues artists (no offense intended).

Maybe he's waiting to be asked!?

Maybe he's waiting to be asked!?

Exactly.....

You can't include yourself in something you haven't been invited too. Page has never been affiliated with a Crossroads festival, yet he'd bring great character to it for sure. I dunno, ask Eric, or whoever calls the shots.

Personally, I think it would be great, but maybe someone on the inside has a reason not to include him or others that are "fit" for the job. Secondly, I'd imagine Page would prefer his own "backing" band to pull off whatever songs he felt nessessary to play if it were anything Zeppelin related. That said, depending on the rehearsal schedule, it could be hit or miss.

Eric is probably scared of being embarrassed by Jimmy. I think we can all agree that Jimmy is the BOSS on guitar. And Eric, well, he just so happens to play the same instrument as Jimmy. Guitar that is.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see Jimmy play at crossroads.

I really don't think Eric would be embarrased by Jimmy considering he has guys like Derek Trucks and Buddy Guy playing at Crossroads with him. Jimmy is my favourite guitarist, but don't let your bias get in the way of the fact that Clapton is also a master of the instrument.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jhf7I1J0lG4

BluesQuest.com: I’ve told them a couple of times, ‘If you’re going to have Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck, the historic rock and roll third person would be…’

Beck: Page.

BluesQuest.com: Jimmy.

Bluesest.com: Is that do-able, do you sup

Beck: It should beQu.

pose, among the three of you?

Beck: I don’t know what Jimmy would think about it. I’ve got hours of that kind of [music] that I could do. I could select a half dm any album you name, and play them instrumental. But Jimmy would have to come and perform as a guitarist, solo. He couldn’t have Zeppelin there. It would have to be a house band, with us doing pre-arranged material he selected.

BluesQuest.com: B, could you three guys do that?

Beck: Mmm-hmm. It might be a bit sticky. I don’t care. It would be a big draw. I can’t see it not being.

BluesQuest.com: Oh yeah. And I’m sure the CDs and DVDs would do well.

Edited by Chicago

I really don't think Eric would be embarrased by Jimmy considering he has guys like Derek Trucks and Buddy Guy playing at Crossroads with him. Jimmy is my favourite guitarist, but don't let your bias get in the way of the fact that Clapton is also a master of the instrument.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jhf7I1J0lG4

Clapton might be a master, but Jimmy keeps me interested.

I don't think he's been asked to participate in the Crossroads festivals specifically. Clapton runs it and may feel Page would attract a different type of crowd. On all the recordings of the ARMS shows there's no denying Page received the most massive response and that was him at his worst! Egos do play a role in these issues.

I attended the Crossroads 2010 Guitar Festival. I also have the Blu-Ray. It was one of the last shows, if not the last show, that guitar legends like Hubert Sumlin and Bert Jansch (one of Jimmy's major influences) played before they died (both were sick at the time, but soldiered on). The Blu-Ray/DVD also features an interview with Bert Jansch. Hubert Sumlin was playing with a breathing tube, and at one point, he even sang one of the songs!

I was staying at the Elysian Hotel in Chicago, which is where a lot of the acts and behind the scenes people were staying. We saw Jeff Beck in the hotel bar/lounge after the show. Also, one of the behind the scenes guys did a uncanny impersonation of Louie Armstrong. We actually knew some of the BTS guys, so we were able to get really good tickets on standby. If you watch the Blu-Ray/DVD you can actually see one of the guys we know in the back of the stage throughout a lot of the concert.

Anyway, it was one of my best concert experiences, even if Jimmy/Led Zeppelin wasn't there. I think Jimmy's still sort of holding out for a Led Zeppelin reunion concert tour. I really think Robert should agree to it before they just all get too damn old. Maybe, Jimmy will do the next one if he gets too tired of waiting for Robert and wants something to do in between waiting for that to ever happen.