Forgotten Classics

Jahfin

I feel fortunate to have grown up during the time period when there were still AOR stations because they actually lived up to their name by playing deep album cuts. You just don't get that with Classic Rock radio, unless you like hearing "Stairway To Heaven", "Freebird" and "Smoke On the Water" for the umpteenth time. So much great music slips through the cracks, such as this one from Pete Townshend's White City concept album.

WZLX does it all the time.

I have no doubt but actual album rock stations have become the exception these days rather than the rule. That goes not just for rock n' roll radio stations but for other genres as well. I have a friend that works in radio that said when he drove back to North Carolina from Colorado recently he made it a point to tune in some of the stations owned by the company he worked for and all of them sounded exactly the same. Used to, album rock stations had some true depth to them as well as character because they had their own on air personalities and weren't front loaded with syndicated programming as so many stations are today.

The last true rock n' roll station in this area (Raleigh, NC), 96 Rock, recently did away with all of their on air personalities. I hardly listened anyway but I'm definitely not going to listen now. Thankfully, this area is blessed with lots of great college radio stations such as WXDU (Duke), WXYC (UNC) and WKNC (NCSU) but it would be nice to have a true AOR station again such as WQDR and WRDU. Strangely enough, both of those stations went Country.

A few weeks ago I visited with some folks I used to work in radio with and we visited a station where one of them now works. Hardly anything is done live on the air, the announcers all use the "voice tracking" system where all of their breaks are pre-recorded. In fact, the formats are prepackaged software programs that are loaded onto the stations computers. The only customization is the voice tracking and the addition of commercials. Otherwise, everything is completely automated, there is no real need for live announcers. Then again, I listen almost exclusively to satellite radio where nothing is live. The difference is, they have the freedom to stretch out musically by playing deep album tracks as well as very lengthy songs. There are also no concessions towards censorship, they can play pretty much whatever they want. Meanwhile, commercial radio has become so cookie cutter that it's lost all it's attraction to me as a listener. Thankfully, there are alternatives such as satellite radio and listening to stations via the internet that still have some balls when it comes to programming.

Deep album cuts.

Did it this past weekend with what they called a 'double-shot' block,played one well know tune,,then a deep cut.

The station does a lot of that stuff.Instant requests,you can pick 10 songs and the afternoon guy will play them.

Breakfast with the Beatles Sunday morning,followed by Sunday morning blues,3 hours worth.

A block of Zep at 7pm 5 nights a week,...

http://wzlx.radio.com/

I can't say the song itself is "forgotten" because I honestly don't remember it but when it comes to Johnny Winter himself, it seems he's largely been forgotten. Just not by rock n' roll radio (which in most cases these days is a fucking joke) but by such institutions as the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame. I rarely ever see his name mentioned on any "best guitarists of all time" lists as well.

http://youtu.be/1QLdbv8DvSY

This song could have just as easily fit in the Cover Songs thread but it's also fitting here because I probably would have never heard of Garland Jeffrerys if it wasn't for WQDR in Raleigh, NC playing this song back in the day. Garland is still going strong these days, having just released a new album last year called The King of In Between.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived