Chris Rock's Independence Day Tweet

cryingbluerain

He is a very stupid person. We shouldn't divide ourselves according to race like this. It's very unfortunate that slavery was taking place in early America no doubt but the same freedom we gained in 1776 as a nation would later be given to all it's citizens. Just because it wasn't realized right away is no reason to create racial divides by calling this a "white thing" or that a "black thing."

I don't believe in judging someone from a background I cannot begin to understand. Being black in America is a very confusing position, even today. As white people we have always been on top and in control. Now imagine this...You are running around in your native jungle happy as a clam, just chillin. Next thing you know a bunch of assholes from a neighboring tribe shanghai's your ass to sell to the white slavers they have a very lucrative deal with. Now, you are on the bad ship shitsville heading toward some soon to be upstart country in 1772. As soon as the ship docks they strip you naked and parade you like a goddamn horse in front of the local aristocrats for sale. You are purchased, luckily, by a rather progressive landowner to help work the fields along side his white family. You form a bond with this family and feel part of it in a strange sense. Then the Revolutionary War breaks out, independence is declared, and a promise of the abolition of slavery for any slave which fights for the cause is raised. So you and your patriotic master fight, he dies, you live, America is born, and some fucking asshole from the South Carolina delegation refuses entry into the newly formed United States unless the provision which would outlaw slavery is struck from the constitution. Now, your ass is a slave again and you are sold to some mean ass motherfucker who gets drunk as shit, pissed off because his young wife keeps giving you the eye as you work the fields, so he ass rapes you to death with god knows what and thats it baby, game over. Now fast forward to 1865 and your progeny have been freed but can only find a crappy job as sharecroppers on the same goddamn plantation they worked as slaves for generations making just enough to pay the rent and get a little food...nothing has really changed. Oh, you also have the vote now (yeah), unfortunately the assign a poll tax you cannot afford and those who can are promptly killed by the klan. This shitty life goes on until the poll tax is deemed unconstitutional in 1964. Yeah, we can vote now!!! So, for only 48 years the black community have been recognized as full American citizens. Still, prejudice is everywhere, a black person is lucky to make .70 on the dollar compared to a white man, and for years several states still make it a crime to marry outside your race.

Bottom line is, the black community in America has only truly been free since the 1980's, only 30 years. Chris Rock grew up in this environment and is acutely aware of its implications. To this day if a black man is driving a BMW in the wrong neighborhood they will be harassed by the police. Hell, when I was growing up I saw and experienced this first hand as I had several black friends much to the chagrin of my community AND family. My parents were considered progressive as well but still told me, "I know Kimmy is sweet but you have to understand, whites and blacks are just not supposed to mingle." Even at 5 years old I was smart enough to know this was wrong and even though my family has changed I can never forget that.

This is still the environment the black community has to deal with daily, I know it, you know it, and Chris Rock certainly knows it. So let's not get our collective panties in a wad over a truthful statement on behalf of Chris Rock, yes the truth hurts, but it also gives us opportunity to improve.

I'm not in anyway being insensitive to any racial communities but I still feel racial jokes are not funny or productive. I'm not telling you what ethnicity I am because it's no one's business but the Klan sure don't like my types and I hear racial jokes nearly everyday against my people. I've dealt with racism my whole life. I don't make stupid jokes about it because it just furthers the idea that we are different because of skin color or heritage. Those things don't matter and one of the best ways to end all the racial tension is to stop highlighting the fact that people look different or where treated different in the past. I don't fault anyone for being upset about the things that have happened. I am also. But let's not focus on the negative things that don't help anyone.

Pretty bad when a whole thread has to be dedicated to what some has been fucktard had to say. His kind of statement and this kind of response is exactly what fuels so much of the moronic behaviour in today's society . Everytime I see this kind of reaction to a stupid, opportunistic public comment, I'm reminded of just how fucking ignorant and blind to reality some of us are :thumbdown:

I have to say, I agree with DAS for the most part. I just think Rock was making a comment akin to say what a native American would say on Columbus Day. Yes, minorities have come a long way, but if we forget or ignore the past simply because it is painful, we just may be doomed to repeat it. Just saying.

Peace DAS, and good comment :thumbsup:

Chris Rock is a bigot. Simple as that.

I'm not in anyway being insensitive to any racial communities but I still feel racial jokes are not funny or productive. I'm not telling you what ethnicity I am because it's no one's business but the Klan sure don't like my types and I hear racial jokes nearly everyday against my people. I've dealt with racism my whole life. I don't make stupid jokes about it because it just furthers the idea that we are different because of skin color or heritage. Those things don't matter and one of the best ways to end all the racial tension is to stop highlighting the fact that people look different or where treated different in the past. I don't fault anyone for being upset about the things that have happened. I am also. But let's not focus on the negative things that don't help anyone.

Deep down inside, how is anyone racially all that different? Most African Americans have some caucasian ancestory for OBVIOUS reasons. Here's another example. Not too long ago I watched a program about DNA. This british fellow had his DNA analyzed and found his genetics originated from the Middle East. He was blonde hair/blue eyes average british fellow. This was just confirmation of what I already knew. None of us are who we think we are. And that's the beauty of it!

Look, I know white people laugh at the expense of black people and I also KNOW and have SEEN black people laugh at the expense of white people. etc. We're all different and find foreign culture humorous. If someone can laugh at me, I'm completely awesome with that! I love laughing at me. Does my race make me look goofy looking? Make me dress funky? YEAH! Laugh away! Put a fucking smile on that face. Only rule, you don't prejudge one's character or morals!

I have to say, I agree with DAS for the most part. I just think Rock was making a comment akin to say what a native American would say on Columbus Day. Yes, minorities have come a long way, but if we forget or ignore the past simply because it is painful, we just may be doomed to repeat it. Just saying.

Peace DAS, and good comment :thumbsup:

Yes, thanks for bringing up the Native American. Don't forget that they ALSO fought in the Revolutionary War. And don't forget there were far more of them than Africans. And what did they do with them after they were done with them? They slaughtered, scalped and torched their villages. Gave them small pox infested blankets. Stole their land and their game. Raped their women. The Trail of Tears anyone??? At least for the Africans, the white man had a reason to not kill them. They were more "useful" alive than dead. Native Americans were like pests. They just wanted to get rid of them. They more "useful" dead than alive.

Has anyone noticed how THOSE people live?

I have actually always found Chris Rock to be funny and surprisingly astute. If you have ever actually sat and watched one of his stand-up shows, you probably know what I mean. He delivers a message behind all of the foul language - and quite often he points that message at members of his own community.

As for the twitter post, what is wrong with it exactly? It's a joke, it's true, and it makes you think. I think calling it “race baiting” is a bit extreme.

I have actually always found Chris Rock to be funny and surprisingly astute. If you have ever actually sat and watched one of his stand-up shows, you probably know what I mean. He delivers a message behind all of the foul language - and quite often he points that message at members of his own community.

As for the twitter post, what is wrong with it exactly? It's a joke, it's true, and it makes you think. I think calling it “race baiting” is a bit extreme.

He's knocking the country where he was able to become rich and famous and he is doing it in a way that creates division and anger.

He is funny but this isn't. It's actually a holiday that a lot of us revere in the US, and he should too. We don't need self-important comedians to make us think about issues that are already front and center, thanks. We need them to make us laugh.

He's knocking the country where he was able to become rich and famous and he is doing it in a way that creates division and anger.

Whether or not it creates division is really up to the person reading the tweet. Certainly didn't seem to me like that was the intention.

Also, I don't think it is fair to say he is knocking the country. True, he is remembering a troubled part of its history, but what is wrong with that? Is it better to pretend it didn't happen?

He is funny but this isn't. It's actually a holiday that a lot of us revere in the US, and he should too. We don't need self-important comedians to make us think about issues that are already front and center, thanks. We need them to make us laugh.

Why do you assume he doesn't revere the holiday? Seems to me from what he said he just thinks it is also appropriate for people to remember they are celebrating a time when not ALL Americans had independence. Seems like fair commentary to me made by someone who truly loves his country. To my mind, those who blindly chant "USA, USA" (or any other country) with no self reflection don't really understand the meaning of "love of country".

Why do you assume he doesn't revere the holiday? Seems to me from what he said he just thinks it is also appropriate for people to remember they are celebrating a time when not ALL Americans had independence. Seems like fair commentary to me made by someone who truly loves his country. To my mind, those who blindly chant "USA, USA" (or any other country) with no self reflection don't really understand the meaning of "love of country".

I think you're selling the average American short if you think our self-reflection is dependent upon Chris Rock being the turd in the punch bowl on a day when we're celebrating our nation's birth.

Hi Dandu,

> True, he is remembering a troubled part of its history, but what is wrong with that? Is it better to pretend it didn't happen?<

It was Independence Day July 4.1776, at the time the British still bought and sold slaves.

>Why do you assume he doesn't revere the holiday? Seems to me from what he said he just thinks it is also appropriate for people to remember they are celebrating a time when not ALL Americans had independence.<

We,that is people who lived in the colonies at that time were consider British subject,not 'Americans'.Shall I tell the tale of the Rhode Land slaves who enlisted in the Continental Army to fight for their freedom?

I think you're selling the average American short if you think our self-reflection is dependent upon Chris Rock being the turd in the punch bowl on a day when we're celebrating our nation's birth.

Selling the average American short? Hell, I give most way too much credit to be honest as most have NO CLUE to the founding of this nation. Do you know why we celebrate the 4th of July? Purley arbitrary actually. The document was ratified on July 2nd and final wording was completed by July 4th. The signatures of the colonial delgates were not obtained until August 2nd. Also, the original document was lost, we only have copies left. Most Americans have no clue, and they believe we live in a democracy when the United States is a representative republic. Also, there are two primary philosophies of the constitution, Hamiltonian which favors a strong central government with complete power over the states, and Jeffersonian which favors limited federal government and states rights. The nation followed the Hamiltonian route until the 1850's when the Jeffersonian model was in favor. It stayed this way until the T Roosevelt administration when a hybrid was used and then in the 1930's under FDR we returned to the Hamiltonian model which we still follow today.

Bottom line is Chris Rock is right and according to the writings we have from the founding fathers (most of them), they would agree whole heartedly with Mr. Rock.

Actually I don't think that at all. But I also don’t think HIS self reflection makes him unpatriotic. In fact, quite the opposite.

Hi Dandu,

> True, he is remembering a troubled part of its history, but what is wrong with that? Is it better to pretend it didn't happen?<

It was Independence Day July 4.1776, at the time the British still bought and sold slaves.

>Why do you assume he doesn't revere the holiday? Seems to me from what he said he just thinks it is also appropriate for people to remember they are celebrating a time when not ALL Americans had independence.<

We,that is people who lived in the colonies at that time were consider British subject,not 'Americans'.Shall I tell the tale of the Rhode Land slaves who enlisted in the Continental Army to fight for their freedom?

Please do tell...Tell how the 1st Rhode Island Regiment, the so-called "black regiment," was the only segregated regiment in the colonial army. Also, most were killed in battle since they used them more as human sand-bags than real soldiers, and the few who did survive the war fled to Nova Scotia where they could truly be free men. Not saying the newly formed government would not have kept its promise, but they saw the handwriting on the wall and were not going to take any chances.

Please do tell...Tell how the 1st Rhode Island Regiment, the so-called "black regiment," was the only segregated regiment in the colonial army. Also, most were killed in battle since they used them more as human sand-bags than real soldiers, and the few who did survive the war fled to Nova Scotia where they could truly be free men. Not saying the newly formed government would not have kept its promise, but they saw the handwriting on the wall and were not going to take any chances.

My Gawd, your a fucking idiot.

Hi Dandu,

Hi Anjin,

Thanks for the history lesson but I am not sure I get your point.

What is celebrated on July 4th is America's liberation from the British. Chris Rock's point was that not all of the people who lived there shared in the spoils of liberty. I don't see what is wrong with keeping that fact in mind - even while celebrating the day.

Archived