Feedback on my guitar sound - Zeppelin enough?

stillwater

Hi all!

I'm a hobby musician currently trying to put something Zeppelin-ish together (no cover, but an original in the tradition of) but I'm not sure if my guitar sound is as Page-esque as it should be to get the vibe across. I figured that the Led Zeppelin Forum would be a good place to ask such a question?

So please have a quick listen to this little jam and tell me what you think about the sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-75dSQCVnQ&feature=plcp

Van Halen was about the last thing on my mind when I did that. I wanted to go something like Black Dog but with more dirt and distortion. When I think Van Halen I think of tapping, whammy bar and way better playing than mine lol. Any ideas how to get closer to a more Zeppelin guitar sound - soundwise?

Van Halen was about the last thing on my mind when I did that. I wanted to go something like Black Dog but with more dirt and distortion. When I think Van Halen I think of tapping, whammy bar and way better playing than mine lol. Any ideas how to get closer to a more Zeppelin guitar sound - soundwise?

Get some dimarzio pickups or duncans and dont use to much distortion. Oh and use your mid position alot !

I'm a hobby musician currently trying to put something Zeppelin-ish together

not LZ at all

it would be nice to hear you playing. In the demo furnished we only hear the rig mostly. m/r is precisely correct. Especially in 1980, Page's rig was thin in regards to signal processing. Compare his tone at the O2 to the sound on your demo. You are rig dependent. WCR American Steels allow for more responsiveness and flexibility but that goes out the door if you are reliant on the rig rather than the musician.

take m/r's advice and then post up a new one when you get a moment.

For pickups visit: http://www.wcrguitar.com/

No offense taken at all, I'm appreciative of any feedback, I want to become better on the guitar.

I'm using all kinds of stuff and haven't really found "my sound", right now I'm seaching for the right tone for a particular song (not what you hear in the demo, that is just for the guitar sound).

Here's a video of my usual tones (Fender + Duncan '59 + Hiwatt combo) but that doesn't get me what I want in regards to the song. I'm always using too much distortion but when I use less I feel it lacks energy...any ideas?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w_bBF1dojk&feature=plcp

I'm not by any means a professional, but to my poor ears, it sounds like it need less treble and gain and more bass (amp. wise), and i read somewhere that Jimmy loathed distortion, instead, he used Overdrive and fuzz effects, also did hendrix and Townshend. but you're bloody better than me of course. and since i'm hooked up to digital amp modelling software, and an avid user of Amplitube 3, i'm not really aware of what real pedals sound like in the real world. and that's why i like reading these threads to learn more from the experienced.

Hi Stillwater.

th_MeGuitarSlow_zps5425d4ac.jpg

If this is of any use to you. It is me using an early Ibanez, through a Marshall MG100 DFX, if it is any nearer the sound you want, I will write out the setting I have it on.n I am not using any effects pedals, just straight through the amp. To better the sound you really need to use a true valve amplifier.

Let me know

Good Luck.

ZISH.

If this is of any use to you. It is me using an early Ibanez, through a Marshall MG100 DFX, if it is any nearer the sound you want, I will write out the setting I have it on.n I am not using any effects pedals, just straight through the amp. To better the sound you really need to use a true valve amplifier.

Sounds great, reminds me a bit of 'Since I've Been Loving You'. Would like to try your settings on my amp and see where it takes me, it's at least worth a try. I think one problem for me is I don't use a Les Paul and don't have the options this guitar brings in terms of the middle position and blending the pickups. The closest I get with my gear is the Tele with the Duncan at the bridge but that is just a single coil sized humbucker and the neck is a single coil so the middle position sounds a lot different.

Does anyone know a site with in depth info on Jimmy Page's gear and settings? All I know is he often used Teles and Les Pauls with Marshalls (wich ones?) and sometimes Hiwatts, is that correct? I'd be intrested in what of today's effects could get me closer as I can't seem to put my hands on a tonebender or a decent vintage fuzz ever, some of that stuff is just so rare or it will cost you an arm and a leg.

My favourite tones of his are New York '73, Marrakesh '95 (Truth Explodes in particular) and the O2, I love these sounds but I figure he was using different stuff each time? Does he even use an overdrive pedal or is it just the guitar and the amp?

while tweaking your kit, pull the spotlight over to your playing- the sound comes from you much more than the kit. We are hearing your rig and not you.

How do I do that? I take what you said as 'less is more' and I agree with you, but without the right sound I just don't feel it. I guess I still have a lot to learn...

Hi Again Stillwater.

It's an old backing track and it is a basic 'Since I been Loving You.

I have attached four photos, the only button pressed in is the Overdrive 2, the rest are off, I'm using channel 2.

You are right, you do need the older pedals, I have a Colorsound Wah Wah & Rolland Distortion, both from the early 1970's but I'm not using them on the video. The Marshall is obviously not Valve but has the ability to sound 'Like' but not as good as Valves, which when tweaked can obtain the sort of sound you might be after.

Hope this is of help.

ZISH.

AmpSet011_zps2f0088a7.jpg

AmpSet008_zpsf23869af.jpg

AmpSet004_zps90a8a736.jpg

AmpSet001_zpsb3c21291.jpg

Hi all!

I'm a hobby musician currently trying to put something Zeppelin-ish together (no cover, but an original in the tradition of) but I'm not sure if my guitar sound is as Page-esque as it should be to get the vibe across. I figured that the Led Zeppelin Forum would be a good place to ask such a question?

So please have a quick listen to this little jam and tell me what you think about the sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-75dSQCVnQ&feature=plcp

I think you nailed it! Great stuff and yes, it does remind of Truth Explodes - which by the way is little known gem of a tune!

Archived