Top five grossing acts of 2012

ZEPFAN17

1.Madonna stirred up plenty of controversy on the MDNA tour by bearing arms and baring body parts in 2012, but it turns out she also brought in a ton of cold hard cash. $228.4

Her MDNA outing grossed $228.4 million to make it the top-grossing tour of 2012, according to Billboard. The tally come from 72 shows, all of which, according to Billboard, were sell out.

MadonnaNewOrleansconcertLSAlexander_DemianchukPool_article_story_main.jpg

The MDNA Tour[ is the ninth concert tour by American entertainer Madonna. It promotes her twelfth studio album, MDNA. The tour visits the Americas, Europe and the Middle East. This marks the singer first performances in the United Arab Emirates, Ukraine, Scotland and Colombia. The tour was initially planned to reach Australia in January 2013 but was cancelled, resulting in Madonna posting an audio video letter on her official YouTube account.

Madonna described the tour as "a journey from darkness to light". It was divided into four sections: Transgression, where guns and violence was the main theme, Prophecy, where a mix of joyful songs that bring people together are performed, Masculine/Feminine, a combination of sensuality and fashion with a few of Madonna's classic songs performed in a French Cabaret-style, and Redemption, which Madonna labeled as "a big party and celebration". The tour has received positive reception and critical acclaim.The tour courted many controversial subjects such as violence, firearms, human rights, nudity and politics. Lawsuits threatened against Madonna have also been engaged from the tour. Commercially, the tour had sold out in many ticket outlets, breaking records and becoming Madonna's fifth consecutive number one tour according to Billboard. Chairman of Live Nation Global Touring, Arthur Fogel, stated that the tour is on track to be among the Top 10 tours of all time. The MDNA Tour was named the highest-grossing tour of 2012 by Billboard magazine with over $228 million in ticket sales. [

2.Bruce Springsteen &The E Street Band coming in at No. 2 Springsteen’s ticket price was considerably lower than Madge’s: His 72 shows drew 2.165 million people, compared with the Material Girl’s 1.63 million. They grossed $199.4 million,

0.jpg

The Wrecking Ball Tour is an ongoing concert tour by Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band to promote Springsteen's seventeenth studio album, Wrecking Ball, which was released on March 5, 2012.] The tour began on March 18, 2012, in Atlanta, Georgia.[2]

The tour is the first for the E Street Band without founding member Clarence Clemons, who died on June 18, 2011. It was announced on February 9, 2012, that Eddie Manion and Clarence Clemons's nephew, Jake Clemons, would share saxophone duties with Clemons handling most of the lead solos. Additional horns are provided by Clark Gayton, Curt Ramm, and Barry Danielian. Everett Bradly provides percussion and backing vocals while Curtis King returns as background singer along with Cindy Mizelle as the female background singer. Michelle Moore joined the tour as a background singer featuring on Rocky Ground for the rap (as on the album). Like with the previous few tours, Springsteen's wife and guitarist/vocalist, Patti Scialfa has not appeared at every show, instead occasionally staying at home for some dates. In total, Springsteen is touring with a seventeen-member band, making it the largest lineup ever for an E Street Band tour and larger than the band that undertook the Tunnel of Love Express tour in 1988. Most shows on the tour have lasted 3 to 3 1/2 hours with his July 31, 2012 performance in Helsinki being the longest show of his career clocking in at 4 hours and 6 minutes breaking his previous record that he set on December 31, 1980 by five minutes.

The Wrecking Ball Tour was the second highest grossing tour of 2012 finishing behind Madonna and was the most attended tour of the year winning the Billboard Touring Award for Top Draw.As of December 2012, the tour ranks as the #21 top grossing tour worldwide

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Wrecking Ball. April 29, 2012

3. Roger Waters’ tour, also with 72 shows comes in at No. 3 with a gross of $186.5

RWA54405.jpg

The Wall Live is a worldwide[concert tour by Roger Waters, formerly of Pink Floyd. The tour is the first time the Pink Floyd album The Wall has been performed in its entirety by the band or any of its former members since Waters performed the album live in Berlin 21 July 1990. According to Cole Moreton of the Daily Mail, "The touring version of Pink Floyd's The Wall is one of the most ambitious and complex rock shows ever staged."It is estimated that the tour cost £37 million ($60M) to stage. The first leg of the tour grossed in North America over $89.5 million from 56 concerts. It was the second highest grossing concert tour in North America in 2010 and the 6th worldwide.

The tour opened 15 September 2010 in Toronto, and moved through North America before ending the first leg of the tour in Mexico City, 21 December 2010. The European tour began 21 March 2011 in Lisbon, Portugal, and ended 12 July 2011 in Athens, Greece. In 2012, the tour included Australia, New Zealand, and South America, resuming 27 January in Perth, and ending 1 April 2012 in São Paulo.It was confirmed by Waters during an interview with Jimmy Fallon that he would be returning to North America for yet another leg of The Wall tour, beginning 27 April 2012 in Mexico City and ending 21 July 2012 in Quebec City on the Plains of Abraham, a former battlefield. This last show in Quebec City was the second largest outdoor production of "The Wall" ever -- the largest being the Live in Berlin show. The tour returns to European stadiums again in summer 2013.Waters, a pacifist, has incorporated an increased emphasis on the show's anti-war message, and he has requested that fans send in pictures of loved ones who have died as a result of wars

4.Proving that his legacy goes on and on even after his death, “Michael Jackson: The Immortal World Tour by Cirque Du Soleil” claims the No. 4 slot with a tally of $147.3 million, based on 183 shows reporting.

http://www.hitfix.com/news/madonna-bruce-springsteen-and-roger-waters-ranks-as-2012s-top-tours#0tAuOWk1UYG0efQv.99 $147.3 million

Read more at

immortal-michael-jackson-tour-cirque-du-soleil-02a.jpg

A riveting fusion of visuals, dance, music and fantasy that immerses audiences in Michael's creative world and literally turns his signature moves upside down, Michael Jackson THE IMMORTAL World Tour unfolds Michael Jackson's artistry before the eyes of the audience. Aimed at lifelong fans as well as those experiencing Michael's creative genius for the first time, the show captures the essence, soul and inspiration of the King of Pop, celebrating a legacy that continues to transcend generations.

THE IMMORTAL World Tour takes place in a fantastical realm where we discover Michael's inspirational Giving Tree-the wellspring of his creativity. The secrets of Michael's inner world are unlocked-his love of music and dance, fairy tale and magic, and the fragile beauty of nature.

The underpinnings of THE IMMORTAL World Tour are Michael Jackson's powerful, inspirational music and lyrics-the driving force behind the show-brought to life with extraordinary power and breathless intensity. Through unforgettable performances Michael Jackson THE IMMORTAL World Tour underscores Michael's global messages of love, peace and unity.

5.Coldplay rounds out the top 5 with $147.2 million from 67 shows. That should tied them over nicely during the band’s recently announced hiatus.$147.2

http://www.hitfix.com/news/madonna-bruce-springsteen-and-roger-waters-ranks-as-2012s-top-tours#0tAuOWk1UYG0efQv.99

Read more at

56739-coldplay-live-original.jpg?1348529456

Mylo Xyloto Tour

Tour by Coldplay Associated album Mylo Xyloto Start date 26 October 2011 End date 31 December 2012 Legs 5 Shows 41 in Europe

1 in Asia

39 in North America

5 in Australasia

86 Total Coldplay tour chronology Viva la Vida Tour

(2008–10) Mylo Xyloto Tour

(2011–12)

Mylo Xyloto Tour is the fifth concert tour by British band Coldplay. Launched in support of their fifth studio album Mylo Xyloto (2011), the tour began in October 2011 with a series of one-off concerts in Europe. A full-production show began in December 2011 in the United Kingdom and the United Arab Emirates. It continues into 2012 with shows in North America, Europe and Australasia.

Background

After devoting the summer of 2011 to a promotional tour in Europe, the Americas and Africa,[1] the band announced the tour via their Twitter account in September 2011. Initial dates revealed shows in the UK, France, Germany and Belgium. A set of rehearsal shows were added for October and November, seeing the band partake in radio festivals and fan-exclusive gigs. Due to the demand, the band added additional shows in the UK. One of those dates is a concert at Dingwalls in London. Here, the band played several shows to help finance their debut album. Later in November, more dates were added in the UK, this time, playing stadiums in June 2012.[2] The shows in Manchester, Sunderland and London sold out in under two hours.[3] The tour kicked off with a live-streamed concert in Madrid.[4]

I already got tickets for next summer Waters concert here in Czech Rep. Finally going to see him (hopefully) since I missed all his (and also Gilmours) concerts here. Was always somewhere abroad:(.

Hmmm... Did you buy your tickets online or at the box office?

Been wanting to do a summer of rock tour down the europe for a very long time now, thought I might as well stop by to see Mr. Waters since it's relatevily close by... =)

PS. I also heard that KISS are heading your way sometime next spring =)

Hmmm... Did you buy your tickets online or at the box office?

Been wanting to do a summer of rock tour down the europe for a very long time now, thought I might as well stop by to see Mr. Waters since it's relatevily close by... =)

PS. I also heard that KISS are heading your way sometime next spring =)

A friend of mine bought them in pre-order, when O2 had it for their customers.

Next year is full of good shows here... I already got tickets for Slash in spring and I will go to see Deep Purple later in summer. Apart from those, there will be Kiss that I aint gonna go and Bon Jovi which I also let go since it would be too expensive to go to so many concerts in one year for me:)). There will be much more, but thats it for what I can recall from top of my head now.

I can understand why most of the Top 5 was in the Top 5 but the Bruce Springsteen thing I never understood. I tried many times, and Bruce's cult members have told me to keep trying, but I gave up a few years ago. I never understood Bruce - for me he was some sort of intellectual political rock and I get into music for escapism not to cry or get angry about the Mexican Pyramids or the disarray of the collective welfare state.

I can understand why most of the Top 5 was in the Top 5 but the Bruce Springsteen thing I never understood. I tried many times, and Bruce's cult members have told me to keep trying, but I gave up a few years ago. I never understood Bruce - for me he was some sort of intellectual political rock and I get into music for escapism not to cry or get angry about the Mexican Pyramids or the disarray of the collective welfare state.

What a ridiculous statement. 'Mexican pyramids'? :huh:That's what you take away from listening to "Darkness on the Edge of Town", "Born to Run" or "The Wild, the Innocent and the E Street Shuffle"?

Considering your love for Bon Jovi, who has tried to morph into some sort of Springsteen-lite, your statement is even more puzzling. When Bon Joki wishes he could write a song as good as "Rosalita" or "Out in the Streets".

What a ridiculous statement. 'Mexican pyramids'? :huh:That's what you take away from listening to "Darkness on the Edge of Town", "Born to Run" or "The Wild, the Innocent and the E Street Shuffle"?

Considering your love for Bon Jovi, who has tried to morph into some sort of Springsteen-lite, your statement is even more puzzling. When Bon Joki wishes he could write a song as good as "Rosalita" or "Out in the Streets".

I don’t have a single Bon Jovi album in my collection of 1000 albums on vinyl or 1000 albums on CD…Sorry to disappoint you anointed one…

Everyone who loves Bruce responds in the manner you have when they find out an individual has strayed from the collective. I find Bruce boring and uninspiring as a musician, plus I think his songs are not very music friendly.

Sorry to disappoint you anointed one…

Everyone who loves Bruce responds in the manner you have when they find out an individual has strayed from the collective. I find Bruce boring and uninspiring as a musician, plus I think is songs are not very music friendly.

I've tried to listen to him too Charles...didn't grab me by any stretch.

I've tried to listen to him too Charles...didn't grab me by any stretch.

+1

The only song that I kinda like is Working on a Dream... and partially because Steven Van Zandt is in it...That Guy is so underrated... he should be the front man instead of Springsteen :P

I don’t have a single Bon Jovi album in my collection of 1000 albums on vinyl or 1000 albums on CD…Sorry to disappoint you anointed one…

Everyone who loves Bruce responds in the manner you have when they find out an individual has strayed from the collective. I find Bruce boring and uninspiring as a musician, plus I think his songs are not very music friendly.

I apologize, Charles.

I thought I had read a post from you stating you liked Bon Jovi, so I went back to the R n R Hall of Fame thread and I see that I misremembered your post. I was wrong.

I get why you would find Bruce musically deficient, but I am curious what and how many Bruce songs/albums you have sampled? Because to characterize him as singing for the collective welfare state sounds more like a political judgment than a musical one.

Also, what's with this "anointed one" business? I hope you're not swallowing the kool-aid that certain other people here are serving.

I was just pointing out how the people that love Bruce who I know always point how important his songs are in the message department, as if that somehow makes up for the fact that the music is boring to me. I tried his album "The Rising", one about a River or something or the other, "Lucky Town", and "Born to Run" and one about Destruction Ball or something or the other.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived