2013 Baseball Thread...

paul carruthers

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24387980

Orioles legend center fielder Paul Blair died yesterday at 69 yrs of age. I still remember the first pitch of the 69 series when Blair hit the first pitch over the center field wall. Of course we were upset by the Mets and Seaver and Koosman. Blair was a great great defensive player.

Did I just see that loser Puig was arrested for drunk driving - again???

Scumbag!

Wow. Loser that can hit. But anyway, Paul Blair did go to the Yankees at the end of his career and that was pretty much when he was spent. He will be remembered as an Oriole. He was on the 1970 world championship team with Palmer, McNally (who hit the slam vs the Big Red Machine) and Brooks Robinson the MVP easily of that series. Don Buford, Powell, Belanger, Frank Robinson, Hendricks and Etchebaron were the catchers, and Davey Johnson at 2nd base. If you hit a fly ball to center field you were out. I remember that first pitch of the 69 series like it was yesterday. Curt Gowdy called it and Blair launched the first pitch over the wall, increasing the chances of the Orioles making short work of the Mets. But in hindsight, you cannot look at a team with Tom Seaver and Jerry Koosman as your starters and call them chopped liver. We made things right vs the Reds the next year winning it all. And all three of Baltimore's farm teams won their league championships as well. One being the Rochester Red Wings over the Denver Bears of the American Ass in the junior World Series. Sporting News that year said Rochester was good enough to win the American League West. Bobby Grich and Don Baylor were on that AAA team that I went to see about 35 times that year. We had box seats right behind the Wings dugout courtesy of my Aunt who worked for Gannet News. What a team. I saw Blair come here with the O's that year. Made sure I was right in front of Brooks in the boxes. RIP Paul. You were great

Yeah I was aware of his career in Baltimore, just too young to have seen it. They picked him up after his prime for sure. Didn't he get beaned by a ball that was the start of his decline? I have watched clips of his defensive abilities and he really covered center field.

That's why I was asking. I didn't see the full statement at the bottom of espn last night. Was getting some takeout and caught the last part, then the wife was watching a movie when I got back home - so wasn't able to confirm it. Thank you for the information. Still a scumbag for driving like that. Not as much as being drunk, but when your a star like him - you must be doing some crazy sh!t to get charged with that.

That's why I was asking. I didn't see the full statement at the bottom of espn last night. Was getting some takeout and caught the last part, then the wife was watching a movie when I got back home - so wasn't able to confirm it. Thank you for the information. Still a scumbag for driving like that. Not as much as being drunk, but when your a star like him - you must be doing some crazy sh!t to get charged with that.

:yesnod:

• 2 weeks later...

I probably should have saved this for when someone starts the "2014" baseball thread (hint, hint), but what the hell: Here is your 2014 Baseball Hall of Fame Class (And I think it's a damn shame Piazza didn't get voted in, maybe next year)...

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10261922/baseball-hall-fame-class-2014-announced

Indian Country Today Media Network

January 9, 2014

A block “C” is not the sexiest logo, but it’s a change in the right direction.

The Cleveland Indians have slowly phased out its Chief Wahoo logo in favor of that big C, but the team hasn’t eliminated the Chief completely. The smiling Indian caricature, deemed racist by many, will remain on the caps and jersey sleeves of its home uniform.

Although there’s been no official statement from the organization, the trend toward de-emphasizing Wahoo is continuing. The logo on the caps has changed, the team reduced the logo’s visibility at spring training, and they don’t promote the Chief like they did during past publicity events.

Good, I never liked that Cleveland logo. I like most of the plain, traditional sports logos.

Any thoughts on the Le Betard HoF voting saga?

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/01/09/3861039/dan-le-batard-banned-from-future.html

I agree with someone I heard (can't remember who) saying that this stunt pulled the focus away from the players who were voted in.

I can't believe you're happy they REDUCED the suspension! I read that as their case is not as strong and he could find a way out, through the court system. Also, if the Yanks don't have to pay him - that's what $25 million to spend on the open market this season? I hope they nail A-Roid to the wall, but I view this as a step backwards....we shall see.

^^ I always thought from the very beginning when the 211 game suspension was announced that it was going to get reduced somehow, but A-Roid missing all of 2014, plus whatever postseason there may be is good enough for me.

As for the Yanks saving about 25 million, that seems like money that could be spent on trying to get some power in a lineup that desperately needs some thump having lost Roid, Cano and Granderson. Who's going to be hitting homers for the Yanks?

Thanks for the article. Won't be much different from last season, except not having Cano. They need to see what their kids coming up have to offer, I guess... I can't believe your Mets haven't had a winning season since '08, Paul! :blink:

I can believe it & it may be another mediocre season with our best pitcher possibly being Bartolo Colon & outside of the kid Wheeler, that starting rotation doesn't look too good & outside of Wright and Granderson, not a whole lot of power in the lineup.

I did not think you were a Yankees fan. WTF? Go O's baby!!!!

Archived