The Rest in Peace Thread

SteveAJones

My neighbor at my apartment complex whose name was Susie Dowdy and recently passed, who I had been acquainted with for many years as neighbor and talked with her a little bit here and there, worked for a production company in Arizona and thus met and had autographs of many famous people in her apartment. She was also a producer. She has a signed Beatles album by all four members, and countless other signed things. Other than talking to her a little here and there it was my other direct neighbor who works cleaning Aribnb houses that was introduced to her by our maintenance man because she needed to someone to help cleaning her apartment for her as she had a stroke and was alone. Susie came from a very well to do family and had a maid who did everything for her growing up, I guess her dad was a prisoner of war and had many pictures of prison camps and had signed  papers from Harry Truman, and many other historical documents that my late neighbor possessed.

Anyway when my neighbor passed away, her friends came and got all the  most valuable stuff out of her apartment and there was much valuable stuff, an enormous amount of valuable antiques and more. They called my neighbor (who was her house cleaning and much more like laundry, shopping, etc.) and told her she could have all the rest of the stuff, and so she is going through it now and putting it all up on ebay, as there are loads of valuable antiques and different things in there. I feel happy for my neighbor (who I am good friends with) because Susie did not pay her for much of her work but my neighbor continued helping her anyways, and now she will get all the money back that she lost and then some. I went and took a look and it's really amazing all the stuff she has in there. The amount of stuff she had packed into her little one bedroom apartment was overwhelming. I'm kind of blown away, it's kind of like a museum in there with the stuff she had. She was a nice lady. So anyway R.I.P. Susie.

Edited by luvlz2

7 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

My neighbor at my apartment complex whose name was Susie Dowdy and recently passed, who I had been acquainted with for many years as neighbor and talked with her a little bit here and there, worked for a production company in Arizona and thus met and had autographs of many famous people in her apartment. She was also a producer. She has a signed Beatles album by all four members, and countless other signed things. Other than talking to her a little here and there it was my other direct neighbor who works cleaning Aribnb houses that was introduced to her by our maintenance man because she needed to someone to help cleaning her apartment for her as she had a stroke and was alone. Susie came from a very well to do family and had a maid who did everything for her growing up, I guess her dad was a prisoner of war and had many pictures of prison camps and had signed  papers from Harry Truman, and many other historical documents that my late neighbor possessed.

Anyway when my neighbor passed away, her friends came and got all the  most valuable stuff out of her apartment and there was much valuable stuff, an enormous amount of valuable antiques and more. They called my neighbor (who was her house cleaning and much more like laundry, shopping, etc.) and told her she could have all the rest of the stuff, and so she is going through it now and putting it all up on ebay, as there are loads of valuable antiques and different things in there. I feel happy for my neighbor (who I am good friends with) because Susie did not pay her for much of her work but my neighbor continued helping her anyways, and now she will get all the money back that she lost and then some. I went and took a look and it's really amazing all the stuff she has in there. The amount of stuff she had packed into her little one bedroom apartment was overwhelming. I'm kind of blown away, it's kind of like a museum in there with the stuff she had. She was a nice lady. So anyway R.I.P. Susie.

Amazing the stuff we accumulate over the years. 

10 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Jack White will forever be associated with The Station Nightclub fire. I personally do not blame him for the fire.

You're thinking Jack Russell from Great White. No reason to blame him, he wasn't responsible for the dangerous conditions of the venue, hence not charged with anything, He just showed up to play music for fans. R.I.P. to all associated with this unspeakable event.

On 8/15/2024 at 12:29 AM, redrum said:

Amazing the stuff we accumulate over the years. 

There's some autographs I'd like to post to try to get identified as soon as I make a photo hosting account. I know that one is Clint Eastwood! Just curious!

10 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

There's some autographs I'd like to post to try to get identified as soon as I make a photo hosting account. I know that one is Clint Eastwood! Just curious!

👍

Former England manager Sven-Goran Eriksson has died at the age of 76.

Eriksson, the first non-British manager of the England team, led the Three Lions to the quarter-finals at three major tournaments during his five-year spell in charge between 2001 and 2006.

In January, Eriksson said he had "at best" a year to live after being diagnosed with cancer.

His children, Lina and Johan, said on Monday: "Our father Sven-Goran Eriksson fell asleep peacefully in his home at Bjorkefors outside Sunne this morning. He has for a long time fought bravely with his illness, but now it came to an end.

"Dad told us at the beginning of this year about his serious illness and received an amazing response from friends and football fans around Europe.

"He was invited to several football teams in England, Italy, Portugal and Sweden. They shared their love for football and for dad.

"It was unforgettable for both him and us. He expressed his appreciation and joy and stated that such beautiful words are usually only uttered when someone has died.

"We hope that you will remember Svennis as the good and positive person he always was both in public and at home with us."

spacer.png

Eriksson managed 12 clubs, including Manchester City, Leicester, Roma and Lazio, winning 18 trophies.

The Swede also had spells in charge of Mexico, Ivory Coast and the Philippines.

After retiring as a player at the age of 27, he began his managerial career with Degerfors in 1977 before joining fellow Swedish side Gothenburg, where he won the league title, two domestic cups and the 1982 Uefa Cup.

He then went on to enjoy two spells with Portuguese giants Benfica as well as managing Italian sides Roma, Fiorentina, Sampdoria and Lazio - where he won seven trophies including the Serie A title, two Italian Cups and the European Cup Winners' Cup.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/articles/clyw3lze152o

10 minutes ago, Zep Hed said:

Former England manager Sven-Goran Eriksson has died at the age of 76.

Eriksson, the first non-British manager of the England team, led the Three Lions to the quarter-finals at three major tournaments during his five-year spell in charge between 2001 and 2006.

In January, Eriksson said he had "at best" a year to live after being diagnosed with cancer.

His children, Lina and Johan, said on Monday: "Our father Sven-Goran Eriksson fell asleep peacefully in his home at Bjorkefors outside Sunne this morning. He has for a long time fought bravely with his illness, but now it came to an end.

"Dad told us at the beginning of this year about his serious illness and received an amazing response from friends and football fans around Europe.

"He was invited to several football teams in England, Italy, Portugal and Sweden. They shared their love for football and for dad.

"It was unforgettable for both him and us. He expressed his appreciation and joy and stated that such beautiful words are usually only uttered when someone has died.

"We hope that you will remember Svennis as the good and positive person he always was both in public and at home with us."

spacer.png

Eriksson managed 12 clubs, including Manchester City, Leicester, Roma and Lazio, winning 18 trophies.

The Swede also had spells in charge of Mexico, Ivory Coast and the Philippines.

After retiring as a player at the age of 27, he began his managerial career with Degerfors in 1977 before joining fellow Swedish side Gothenburg, where he won the league title, two domestic cups and the 1982 Uefa Cup.

He then went on to enjoy two spells with Portuguese giants Benfica as well as managing Italian sides Roma, Fiorentina, Sampdoria and Lazio - where he won seven trophies including the Serie A title, two Italian Cups and the European Cup Winners' Cup.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/articles/clyw3lze152o

Wonder where they got the bald eagle? Did he ever have to deal with the soccer hooligans? 

Shocking.

spacer.png

Columbus Blue Jackets (National Hockey League) star forward Johnny Gaudreau and his brother, Matthew, died Thursday night, the team said. Police said they were killed while biking Thursday night in Oldmans Township, New Jersey, close to their hometown in Salem County, New Jersey.

Gaudreau, 31, was the Blue Jackets’ top forward after signing in July 2022 as an unrestricted free agent from the Calgary Flames. According to a post on a popular wedding site, Gaudreau and his brother were scheduled to be groomsmen in their sister's wedding Friday in Philadelphia. Gaudreau had two young children, a daughter, Noa, and son, Johnny, with his wife Meredith and both were born in Columbus.

According to information provided by the New Jersey State Police, the Gaudreau brothers were killed after a suspected drunk driver crashed into them on a rural road. Matthew Gaudreau was 29.

Sean Higgins, the driver, was suspected of being under the influence of alcohol, and police charged him with two counts of death by auto and took him to the Salem County Correctional Facility. Authorities have not said when Higgins will make his initial court appearance.

According to New Jersey State Police, Higgins, 43, from Woodstown, New Jersey, was traveling north on a county road in a Jeep Grand Cherokee behind a sedan and SUV around 8:20 p.m. on Thursday evening.

Higgins tried to pass the slower-moving sedan and SUV, entered the southbound lanes, passed the slower-moving sedan, and tried to re-enter the northbound lanes, state troopers said. The SUV in front of Higgins moved to the middle of the roadway, splitting the north and south lanes to safely pass the Gaudreau brothers traveling north on the right side of the roadway.

Higgins then tried to pass the SUV on the right and struck the two bicyclists in the rear, the highway patrol said. As a result of the collision, the brothers suffered fatal injuries.

The Blue Jackets' statement:

"The Columbus Blue Jackets are shocked and devastated by this unimaginable tragedy. Johnny was not only a great hockey player, but more significantly a loving husband, father, son, brother and friend. We extend our heartfelt sympathies to his wife, Meredith, his children, Noa and Johnny, his parents, their family and friends on the sudden loss of Johnny and Matthew. Johnny played the game with great joy, which was felt by everyone that saw him on the ice. He brought a genuine love for hockey with him everywhere he played, from Boston College to the Calgary Flames to Team USA to the Blue Jackets.

"He thrilled fans in a way only Johnny Hockey could. The impact he had on our organization and our sport was profound, but pales in comparison to the indelible impression he made on everyone who knew him. Johnny embraced our community whe he arrived two years ago and Columbus welcomed him with open arms. We will miss him terribly and do everything that we can to support his family and each other through this tragedy. At this time, we ask for prayers for the Gaudreau family and that their privacy be respected as they grieve."

A Blue Jackets spokesman said the team will not be making any further comments until a later date.

https://www.dispatch.com/story/sports/nhl/columbus-blue-jackets/2024/08/30/columbus-blue-jackets-johnny-gaudreau-dead-bike-accident-crashnew-jersey-calgary-flamesnhl/75009208007/

44 minutes ago, Zep Hed said:

Shocking.

spacer.png

Columbus Blue Jackets (National Hockey League) star forward Johnny Gaudreau and his brother, Matthew, died Thursday night, the team said. Police said they were killed while biking Thursday night in Oldmans Township, New Jersey, close to their hometown in Salem County, New Jersey.

Gaudreau, 31, was the Blue Jackets’ top forward after signing in July 2022 as an unrestricted free agent from the Calgary Flames. According to a post on a popular wedding site, Gaudreau and his brother were scheduled to be groomsmen in their sister's wedding Friday in Philadelphia. Gaudreau had two young children, a daughter, Noa, and son, Johnny, with his wife Meredith and both were born in Columbus.

According to information provided by the New Jersey State Police, the Gaudreau brothers were killed after a suspected drunk driver crashed into them on a rural road. Matthew Gaudreau was 29.

Sean Higgins, the driver, was suspected of being under the influence of alcohol, and police charged him with two counts of death by auto and took him to the Salem County Correctional Facility. Authorities have not said when Higgins will make his initial court appearance.

According to New Jersey State Police, Higgins, 43, from Woodstown, New Jersey, was traveling north on a county road in a Jeep Grand Cherokee behind a sedan and SUV around 8:20 p.m. on Thursday evening.

Higgins tried to pass the slower-moving sedan and SUV, entered the southbound lanes, passed the slower-moving sedan, and tried to re-enter the northbound lanes, state troopers said. The SUV in front of Higgins moved to the middle of the roadway, splitting the north and south lanes to safely pass the Gaudreau brothers traveling north on the right side of the roadway.

Higgins then tried to pass the SUV on the right and struck the two bicyclists in the rear, the highway patrol said. As a result of the collision, the brothers suffered fatal injuries.

The Blue Jackets' statement:

"The Columbus Blue Jackets are shocked and devastated by this unimaginable tragedy. Johnny was not only a great hockey player, but more significantly a loving husband, father, son, brother and friend. We extend our heartfelt sympathies to his wife, Meredith, his children, Noa and Johnny, his parents, their family and friends on the sudden loss of Johnny and Matthew. Johnny played the game with great joy, which was felt by everyone that saw him on the ice. He brought a genuine love for hockey with him everywhere he played, from Boston College to the Calgary Flames to Team USA to the Blue Jackets.

"He thrilled fans in a way only Johnny Hockey could. The impact he had on our organization and our sport was profound, but pales in comparison to the indelible impression he made on everyone who knew him. Johnny embraced our community whe he arrived two years ago and Columbus welcomed him with open arms. We will miss him terribly and do everything that we can to support his family and each other through this tragedy. At this time, we ask for prayers for the Gaudreau family and that their privacy be respected as they grieve."

A Blue Jackets spokesman said the team will not be making any further comments until a later date.

https://www.dispatch.com/story/sports/nhl/columbus-blue-jackets/2024/08/30/columbus-blue-jackets-johnny-gaudreau-dead-bike-accident-crashnew-jersey-calgary-flamesnhl/75009208007/

What a terrible loss!!  Johnny was a great Hockey player

3 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

I remember Thor. I'm sorry to hear of his passing.

Thank you. He did a lot there (along with Dave Lewis and Nech, of course).

R😎