Mustaine declares that Presence is probably his favorite record (or any record from LZ anyway).

I saw them (Megadeth) live once. They were terrible. We left after 10 minutes. Sounded and acted like a bunch of high school kids. But, we weren't there to see them anyway. Saw a bunch of bands that were much better than them: Symphony X, Nevermore, Dream Theater. Megadeth was the headliner. But, I do have a few of their CDs and do like them.

I love Megadeth; they are probably my favorite band after Zeppelin, of course. I have seen them live twice and the last time I saw them, they really let me down. They all just seemed really worn out and tired. I used to like the fact that Dave was sort of anti-everything and always had something smart ass to say. Now that Dave has aged and lost that firey anger, aligned himself with a political party and become the cliche' of ex-addict turned rabid Christian, he interests me less for some reason. Peace Sells and Rust in Peace are by far my favorite albums.

• 2 months later...

Being that new black sabbath record got me to a record store...or a best buy. Also picked up new megadeth cd. I couldnt listen to it after hearing new sabbath...the speed and double bass pedal was like...too much. Its a great record, very listenable, they touch on different eras, like holy wars sort breaks, changes in tempo. Its accessable/commercial in a way, but works as album, can listen all way through. Mustaines voice got a bit lower timbre over yrs it seems. Towards end of record there are a couple of relationship/break up songs with some standard metal riff/song construction...prefer megadeth songs about government, society and apocolypse. On the deluxe cd...great cover of thin lizzy, cold sweat, a good govt song...house divided and live countdown to extinction2013..which i think is sample off new live dvd/cd.

Alot of fast playing..great production for their sound.

I am amazed by musicians like dave mustaine,jerry cantrell and chris cornell that write like 80 percent of their bands records, tbey are super talents.

Interesting, as apparently it is a well known fact that this is an inferior album. (rolleyes)

Interesting use of the word fact, particularly in conjunction with the word apparently. :rolleyes:

I agree with Dave.

Every song on Presence is incredible, and it contains some of the best solos of Page's career.

It's a very complex album structurally, with the multi-layered sound as he mentioned.

I think Presence doesn't sit well with those who became attached to Zeppelin's earlier, acoustic stuff and the more straight blues-inspired rock.

Not saying the blues aren't involved on Presence at all; NFBM and Tea For One are less and more obvious, respectively.

But Presence ventured off even more into the heavy electric riffs and rhythms that began to surface on Physical Graffiti with In The Light and The Wanton Song while abandoning the more folksy, acoustic-style tunes of the past.

It is Zeppelin's constant evolution of their sound and style that I find most interesting, yet, it's also what puts others off.

Many who embraced early albums like III were put off by Presence and completely unprepared for ITTOD.

Gone were the light, airy breaks like Going To California and the sweet mandolins of Battle Of Evermore, to be replaced with spine-pounding epics like Achilles' Last Stand and the fast-change syncopation of Royal Orleans and Hots On For Nowhere.

It was a significant change of pace, to be sure.

TypeO, I don't think you know the background on Knebby's statement. A member here, at the time this story came out, was going tooth and nail with her that Presence was an inferior album and that basically everybody thought so and Knebby was disagreeing, to no avail. You know how opinions are. Just wanted to let you know, she and many of the rest of us LOVE and respect Presence - I know you do too! Sarcasm doesn't come across well 2+ months later.

TypeO, I don't think you know the background on Knebby's statement. A member here, at the time this story came out, was going tooth and nail with her that Presence was an inferior album and that basically everybody thought so and Knebby was disagreeing, to no avail. You know how opinions are. Just wanted to let you know, she and many of the rest of us LOVE and respect Presence - I know you do too! Sarcasm doesn't come across well 2+ months later.

Ahh, thanks for the clarification, Walter.

Too late to edit the original post, so Knebby, understand I misinterpreted your position and the (now) obvious sarcasm intended.

My bad.

Of course, I stand by my take on Presence and those who feel it isn't a good album.