Eagles Documentary - U.K Only.

Pagesbow

I'm not a massive fan of The Eagles, however, I have just been watching this marathon 3 hour plus, 2 part Eagles documentary that is pretty interesting. I thought there may be some people on this site who would like to watch it. I think you'll have to be in the U.K to be able to play it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b02xd1g6/History_of_the_Eagles_Episode_1/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b02xd1gj/History_of_the_Eagles_Episode_2/

BBC2 showed part one on Saturday night and part two on Sunday , after part two they showed an 1/2 hour concert from the original line-up

All good stuff ,though i missed a large chunk of part two because of visitors

I do believe both parts are available on DVD

BBC2 showed part one on Saturday night and part two on Sunday , after part two they showed an 1/2 hour concert from the original line-up

All good stuff ,though i missed a large chunk of part two because of visitors

I do believe both parts are available on DVD

I hope you didn't miss the five hour three part Russ Abbot documentary, as well.

I have this on DVD, it's great. But make no mistake, it's very much from the perspective of Henley and Frey. If you want the whole story, read Don Felder's "Heaven and Hell; My Life in the Eagles". Very compelling, I had a hard time putting it down.

I have this on DVD, it's great. But make no mistake, it's very much from the perspective of Henley and Frey. If you want the whole story, read Don Felder's "Heaven and Hell; My Life in the Eagles". Very compelling, I had a hard time putting it down.

i got the DVD for my birthday, and have to agree with you about Frey and Henley. i will have to try and get Felders book.

i would also like to hear more from Randy Meisners perspective ...

Joe Walsh seemed happy enough .... :)

i've always loved the Eagles, they wrote some timeless classics, and the songs take me back to my teen years in an instant.

i also posted about the Zeppelin references in the DVD in the ' what the famous say about Led Zeppelin " thread :

i was given the new Eagles dvd for my birthday. i have been a fan since about 1975 or so - love their music.

it was really interesting to learn how they got together - and parted - and got together again .... plus the line-up changes.

anyway, Don Henley made a few Led Zeppelin references ....

* he talked about how in the 70's, most bands only lasted a few years, but they thought they could keep going longer, because the good ones "like the stones and led zeppelin were still going strong ... "

* he talked about feeling in awe at the thought of recording in a studio that the great Led Zeppelin had recorded in ...

* they used Glynn Johns for awhile, too, but that didn't go so well. Henley said that Johns wanted to keep them more country, and they parted.

* Henley said that he wanted to get a louder drum sound, like John Bonham, and when asked how to do it, he was told to hit the drums harder, but he said he could never hit them as hard as Bonham. :)

they played a snippet of communication breakdown, and shoed a pic of the band, and of bonzo.

i think Henley is a fan :)

It was quite shocking to hear Frey and Felder having a heated verbal exchange on stage. I had read something about it in the past, but I didn't realise there was audio of it.

i got the DVD for my birthday, and have to agree with you about Frey and Henley. i will have to try and get Felders book.

i would also like to hear more from Randy Meisners perspective ...

Joe Walsh seemed happy enough .... :)

i've always loved the Eagles, they wrote some timeless classics, and the songs take me back to my teen years in an instant.

i also posted about the Zeppelin references in the DVD in the ' what the famous say about Led Zeppelin " thread :

i was given the new Eagles dvd for my birthday. i have been a fan since about 1975 or so - love their music.

it was really interesting to learn how they got together - and parted - and got together again .... plus the line-up changes.

anyway, Don Henley made a few Led Zeppelin references ....

* he talked about how in the 70's, most bands only lasted a few years, but they thought they could keep going longer, because the good ones "like the stones and led zeppelin were still going strong ... "

* he talked about feeling in awe at the thought of recording in a studio that the great Led Zeppelin had recorded in ...

* they used Glynn Johns for awhile, too, but that didn't go so well. Henley said that Johns wanted to keep them more country, and they parted.

* Henley said that he wanted to get a louder drum sound, like John Bonham, and when asked how to do it, he was told to hit the drums harder, but he said he could never hit them as hard as Bonham. :)

they played a snippet of communication breakdown, and shoed a pic of the band, and of bonzo.

i think Henley is a fan :)

Yeah, I was noting the Zeppelin references myself. Although, It was predominantly Beatles references - as is usually the way. I didn't realise it was already out on DVD or else I probably wouldn't have posted the links. Seems that everyone on here has seen it already! :lol:

Mstork, do you know if the "History of the Eagles" DVD available in the U.S. is the same program that our British friends are watching?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/23914823?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=21486607510&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem

I so looked forward to Don Felder's book, but for some reason haven't been able to make much progress in it. It's really kind of plodding, the way it's told. I must give it another chance.

Mstork, do you know if the "History of the Eagles" DVD available in the U.S. is the same program that our British friends are watching?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/23914823?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=21486607510&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem

I so looked forward to Don Felder's book, but for some reason haven't been able to make much progress in it. It's really kind of plodding, the way it's told. I must give it another chance.

yeah, that's the dvd i've got :)

Yup, that's the one. Get it!

As for the book, maybe you don't find his childhood/upbringing interesting? Although I had no idea he knew the Allmans, Stephen Stills, Bernie Leadon, and even gave lessons to "Little Tommy Petty" when he was a kid! Even if that doesn't interest you, things really speed up when he moves to LA and joins the Eagles. Give it another shot!

It did interest me in that (1) I'm a Florida gal and I dug his backwoods descriptions - he was absolutely dirt poor, and (2) he met practically every musician with a Florida connection. OK, you've convinced me: I'll give it another go.

Incidentally, why *did* they let Randy Meisner go? He wrote one of the biggest singles of their career "Take It to the Limit." Maybe Henley & Frey didn't want to share the spotlight.

he was quite nervous about singing live and reaching the high notes. i think it got to the point where he couldn't perform properly anymore ....

he was quite nervous about singing live and reaching the high notes. i think it got to the point where he couldn't perform properly anymore ....

Well that and Glenn Frey attacked him backstage and called him a pussy in front of the whole road crew. After the 77 tour Randy followed Bernie Leadon's lead and quit the band. This left Henley, Frey, and Felder as three equal partners in the band and pretty quickly Felder was on the outside looking in.

Damn shame about Randy too, his harmonies were a HUGE part of their sound. Tim Schmidt can hit high notes but he's not the singer Randy is. And now when they play live Frey sings Take It To The Limit, which is a joke; they should just leave that song alone.

Well that and Glenn Frey attacked him backstage and called him a pussy in front of the whole road crew. After the 77 tour Randy followed Bernie Leadon's lead and quit the band. This left Henley, Frey, and Felder as three equal partners in the band and pretty quickly Felder was on the outside looking in.

Damn shame about Randy too, his harmonies were a HUGE part of their sound. Tim Schmidt can hit high notes but he's not the singer Randy is. And now when they play live Frey sings Take It To The Limit, which is a joke; they should just leave that song alone.

To be honest - frey sounds like a bit of a douche. With Henley not far behind.

No doubt. Bernie Leadon's last act as an Eagle was to pour a beer over Frey's head before he left!

Ya, and it looks like he spent most of his time since leaving the Eagles working out....on a side issue, I was surprised that Felder was all "I miss playing music with those guys" :boohoo: If that was the case why was he dragging his heels over wanting equal pay? surely he was getting handsomely paid to start with. He obviously thought he was irreplaceable.

No doubt. Bernie Leadon's last act as an Eagle was to pour a beer over Frey's head before he left!

Frey is not liked at all is he? Where I think Henley has redeeming features, so I've heard. I met him once but there wasn't enough time to form an opinion that would mean anything. (For what it's worth though I liked him) . Never met Frey. The story of the making of Desperado in a recent music mag didn't show them painted in a lot of glory either.

Frey is not liked at all is he? Where I think Henley has redeeming features, so I've heard. I met him once but there wasn't enough time to form an opinion that would mean anything. (For what it's worth though I liked him) . Never met Frey. The story of the making of Desperado in a recent music mag didn't show them painted in a lot of glory either.

Possibly stating the obvious here but Joe Walsh is the only likable member of the Eagles.

This makes some interesting points

http://popdose.com/whos-more-evil-the-doors-or-the-eagles/

I think for me there is a kind of innate hypocrisy to the Eagles music "Peaceful Easy Feeling" "Take it Easy" kind of sticks in the throat when you realise what self-centred, ego maniacal barstards they all were. And the dude isn't a fan, so there's that....

I think Timothy B Schmidt also comes off well.. Classy guy, great voice.. You could see Randy Meisner was visibly touched at the R and R HOF when TS thanked him and paid tribute in his induction speach.

Joe is great.

Don Felder seems to be a real pain in the ass.. But some of his anger is justified.. He wrote the music to Hotel California. I never knew that till I watched this Documentary. He wrote Victim Of Love, great song... but Glen Frey wouldn't let him sing it. I do think Felder was wrong to expect an equal share when they reunited. He would have still made a huge fortune. Frey and Don Henley started the band. They are control freaks, but it is their band. I do want to read Felder's book

I'm really starting to appreciate their earlier sound a lot more.

What opened my eyes was when they were inducted.. all members performed Take It Easy together as a 7 pc. Greatest live vocal harmonies I've ever heard.

Possibly stating the obvious here but Joe Walsh is the only likable member of the Eagles.

This makes some interesting points

http://popdose.com/whos-more-evil-the-doors-or-the-eagles/

Ya, and it looks like he spent most of his time since leaving the Eagles working out....on a side issue, I was surprised that Felder was all "I miss playing music with those guys" :boohoo: If that was the case why was he dragging his heels over wanting equal pay? surely he was getting handsomely paid to start with. He obviously thought he was irreplaceable.

No, that's not accurate. He was ENTITLED to equal pay and Frey and Henley made him take less. Walsh and Schmidt were hired as sidemen in the 70's and remained sidemen after they reunited in the 90's. Frey and Henley demanded that Felder more or less demote himself to "sideman" status while the two of them took a bigger share. Felder wasn't asking for a better deal, just the same deal they had all agreed to originally.

Edited to add: Walsh and Schmidt would be getting the same deal they had before. Frey and Henley would be getting better deals. Felder would be the only guy in the band getting a worse deal. Why would you do that to your bandmate?

Archived