2014 Baseball Thread

jb126

I'm thinking Seattle's only shot at the postseason is that 2nd wild card. Brewers putting the wood to the Dodgers. I'm starting to think very late in the game that these Brewers might be a handful come October. Nothing about the Brewers would seem to impress the casual fan, but they do have a solid closer--that much I know and they find ways to get the job done. Man, I'm really looking forward to this year's playoffs....

Do you think Lester will stop the bleeding for the big bad Oakland A's tonight? They like Detroit are not very impressive lately. Of course that could change. But I do not think they have depth at the plate. Detroit and Oakland have hung their collective hats and arses on starting pitching and pretty much figured that will solve all issues. Buck Showalter knows better. He is smarter than all of those managers combined. I am a bit scared of these pesky White Sox. I have said all along they are nothing to take lightly. Especially with Mr Sale going tomorrow. Its called, keep them down and stay close until they have to pull him late. then the late inning Oriole magic kicks in. Go O's!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep, the A's and Tigers put in all their chips and so far, it's not paying off. More-so for Detroit than the A's. The A's at least are still tied for first last I checked, trailing the Angels by percentage points--but I'm sure Oakland would much rather get into the playoffs as Division champs and avoid a possible 1 game playoff with the Mariners and having to face King Felix, provided that Seattle gets the 2nd wild card.

A lot of intrigue with this baseball season going down into the final months. This is shaping up to be one of the better regular seasons I've ever witnessed....

Edited by paul carruthers

Yep, the A's and Tigers put in all their chips and so far, it's not paying off. More-so for Detroit than the A's. The A's at least are still tied for first last I checked, trailing the Angels by percentage points--but I'm sure Oakland would much rather get into the playoffs as Division champs and avoid a possible 1 game playoff with the Mariners and having to face King Felix, provided that Seattle gets the 2nd wild card.

A lot of intrigue with this baseball season going down into the final months. This is shaping up to be one of the better regular seasons I've ever witnessed....

The wild card is simply crazy. Yo King, if you are reading I see your boys currently hold the wild card spot. Of course it changes daily. But with Wainright maybe you will hold on. It looks like the Brewers mean business. They have not folded and I felt that they were going to a month ago. Huge wins over the Dodgers. The biggest shocker to me is the Giants still hanging around. I will say no way they make it. no way. I will be shocked if they do. In the AL I really am starting to think KC and Seattle are both going to get in. Detroit is not getting anything from their offense. yes it could change. If they beat KC like they usually do, they can turn it around. That will be a huge 6 games. Seattle who reallly does not have much offenese for some reason has been getting some latley. I think its confidence. You cannot hit consistantly on emotion. For a short time they are doing it. But pitching is going to make or break them at the end of the day. Nobody is going to want Seattle in a one off. Imagine having to face the King and Iwakuma in the same game. Max Sherzer may have to try and save the Tigers single handidly. Him and Sanchez and Price. Verlander has problems and I am not sure if Sanchez is injured? KC is on fire but they have not faired well head up vsw the Tigers. Seeing teh number the White Sox did on the Jays, I do not like the Jays or Yankees to make it. I say KC and Seattle have big shots. The NL wild card is a crap shoot. Even the Marlins could come on like gangbusters and get in

Our luck Sale is up in the rotation. I say Davis sits tonight. Buck will put in a right handed arsenal. These White Sox are no joke. A tough team to play. Yes they are right around 500, just under, but no easy task beating them. And especially with Sale up. We may have to just hope Norris can shut them down and stay within a run or two until the 7th inning or so when they will have to pull him. then we can get to them. Once teams turn to the pen the Orioles have a distinct advantage. I will tell you the A's are falling apart. Cespedes was far more valuable than they thought. Atlanta who was cold as ice beat the daylights out of them. What will happen when they play a top rated team? I cant stand that bastard Anderson. Cocky bastard wont be cheerleading now. The Angels will win that division. And Oakland will be going home if they have to play Seattle. The Tigers are in trouble also. Did you expect this?

Watching the highlights on Quick Pitch. That was one hell of a home run robbing catch by Markakis to help protect the Baltimore lead, and of course, the O's piled on the runs afterwards.

Watching the highlights on Quick Pitch. That was one hell of a home run robbing catch by Markakis to help protect the Baltimore lead, and of course, the O's piled on the runs afterwards.

Great catch. Great game. And Cruz made a catch so good the White Sox fans even applauded him. Baltimore had their bats going, Jonathn Schoop, man do I love this kid. Has power, plays great 2nd base. Yankee killer. I would like to take 5 games in the windy city. I believe the Cubs may be tougher than the White Sox? Tonight this guy Quinonez has given us some trouble in the past. I do expect Tillman to beat him

A sweep of the White Sox would be great, but I'm sure you would settle for 2 out of 3. As for your competition, the Yanks get what would seem like a break playing the Astros, while Toronto gets a tough trip to Milwaukee. Could be a great chance for the O's to pad that 7.5 game lead.

Lots of intrigue in the AL West. Angels in 1st by a 1/2 game, but the A's do get the chance to romp on my Mets, so positioning in the West could change over the next few days. I'm sure both teams want to avoid that Wild Card playoff game if they can...

And how the hell do the Mariners lose to the Phillies? :wacko:

THREE of the Top 10 Plays of the Day on ESPN last night were from the Orioles-White Sox game!

Keep up the good work Black Birds...one of the few teams I picked in the baseball pool doing well. Adios Boston and Tampa Bay.

Counting down the days when Butthead Selig is finally G-O-N-E GONE!!!

Although, The Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again" has been running thru my mind..."Meet the new boss...same as the old boss."

What are your thoughts about the new commish?

Rob Manfred hasn't been officially sworn is as the new commish, has he? Until he does, I can't pass any judgements on him yet--I'm not sure what MLB needs right now in terms of fixing--there are those who say MLB has a cultural problem as far as not being the National Pastime anymore as far as tv ratings and reaching a younger demographic are concerned. Certainly, the World Series ratings have reached a whole new low over the past decade plus.

Not sure what Manfred can do to fix all that, but I wish him luck...

^^ Don't call the race too early--there's still a lot that could happen.

I will tell you one thing that WILL NOT HAPPEN. We will not be caught in the East. And the Yankees have no weapons to catch us with. Toronto just stunk up the joint in their last three. I mean, they had to be desperate. We have the Cubs next. Yes an improved Cubs, but they are not the Orioles. So what are you saying? Our lead is not safe? I say it is. Look around at the Standings. I say we will catch Anaheim and have the best record in the majors before its all said and done. They just demoted Jiminez to the pen. Music to my ears. Exactly what Buck needed to do. Once Bundy is healthy I expect he may get a shot later. But Miguel's Gonzalez rehab is over and he comes back up. With Tillman, Norris, Chen and Gausman I love our rotation. All pitching lights out. And our bullpen is great. Top 3 era in the AL. Miller's addition has helped. What is not to like about this team? Lead the bigs in HR's by a mile. Best defense. Guys like Nick Markakis as a leader. And Machado is coming back. Lots to like. I like our chances in the East big time. I say it would be quite a feat for anyone to catch us now. We have them by 8 1/2 and 9 respectively the Yankees and Toronto. And the Yankees just got hammered by Houston. A team that they were supposed to beat. So please tell me who you like to run us down? I do say Tampa will wind up in second place. They are the only team playing well other than the Orioles. Another big one vs Detroit tonight and I will take Tampa to beat Porcello

Heh, just call me a pessimistic Mets fan Rick. I remember that monumental choke job in '07 when they had a 7 game lead in September and proceeded to choke it away. I'm not saying that's going to happen to Baltimore--I was simply saying wait until you actually clinch before drinking the champagne, but who am I to tell you what to do. :D

Btw, I'm sure all Orioles fans are thanking their lucky stars that the "Grant Balfour" deal fell through before the season started. Dude has been terrible in Tampa....

Heh, just call me a pessimistic Mets fan Rick. I remember that monumental choke job in '07 when they had a 7 game lead in September and proceeded to choke it away. I'm not saying that's going to happen to Baltimore--I was simply saying wait until you actually clinch before drinking the champagne, but who am I to tell you what to do. :D

Btw, I'm sure all Orioles fans are thanking their lucky stars that the "Grant Balfour" deal fell through before the season started. Dude has been terrible in Tampa....

Nice win by Mets today. I picked them. But I had the stupidity of taking them with the Reds who I now officially say SUCK. Chen just got the Sox out 1,2,3 after Konerko the fiuture hall of famer hit a lead off double. After trailing 2-0 its now 3-2 Orioles. I am telling you that the Orioles and Angels are on a collision course.

Jones just hit one out! 3 HR's already in this game for the O's

Edited by LedZeppfan77

Yes Rick. It's not even September yet...

. I am telling you it would take an epic collapse by a great team and a remarkable turn around by teams that do not have what it takes to catch us. There are only 36 games left. Nobody is going to stop the Orioles from punching their ticket in the east

You recently dismissed the Saint Louis Cardinals saying that They are done (for this year and the Playoffs and World Series). I have My Hope and Faith that this will not be the Case, this Year or for many years to come. The Saint Louis Cardinals will always be World Series Contenders for Many Years and Many more after I am dead and buried.

I would like to state, for the record, that even if the Second Most World Champion MLB team, the Saint Louis Cardinals, do not make it or Win the 2014 World Series, the Cardinals will always be a World Class Baseball Team and a Team to reckoned with.

Can anyone who reads this say that their team has a better and a more "Historical" chance of being in, and winning (or losing) the World Series?

I seem to recall the Baltimore Orioles have not been to the World Series in over 25+ years.

I think that LedZeppFan77 has very high hopes for a decent team that will not make it past the first round of the Post-Season. Again, the Saint Louis Cardinals are hard and proven Veterans that have made it to the Post-Season of Major League Baseball for the Past 3 years in a Row.

If anyone is Really Honest on this or about this post, the Saint Louis Cardinals will Devour the Baltimore Orioles in a Serious Run and Winning of the Ultimate Prize.

Edited by kingzoso

You recently dismissed the Saint Louis Cardinals saying that They are done (for this year and the Playoffs and World Series). I have My Hope and Faith that this will not be the Case, this Year or for many years to come. The Saint Louis Cardinals will always be World Series Contenders for Many Years and Many more after I am dead and buried.

I would like to state, for the record, that even if the Second Most World Champion MLB team, the Saint Louis Cardinals, do not make it or Win the 2014 World Series, the Cardinals will always be a World Class Baseball Team and a Team to reckoned with.

Can anyone who reads this say that their team has a better and a more "Historical" chance of being in, and winning (or losing) the World Series?

I seem to recall the Baltimore Orioles have not been to the World Series in over 25+ years.

I think that LedZeppFan77 has very high hopes for a decent team that will not make it past the first round of the Post-Season. Again, the Saint Louis Cardinals are hard and proven Veterans that have made it to the Post-Season of Major League Baseball for the Past 3 years in a Row.

If anyone is Really Honest on this or about this post, the Saint Louis Cardinals will Devour the Baltimore Orioles in a Serious Run and Winning of the Ultimate Prize.

You are clearly nuts. We did a pretty good job beating you up head on. Are you kidding me? What makes you think we will be out in the first series? Nobody and I mean nobody is playing better than Baltimore. They have more HR's than any team and have defense and pitching to go deep. I gaurantee we will go farther than your Cardinals. I wish we played in that crap divisiosn

ps. You guys just did squeak by a lousy Reds team

Edited by LedZeppfan77

Go Jays!

You are another dreamer if you think you have a chance to catch us. A wild card will be hard enough with KC, Detroit and Seattle all ahead. To the King, you have nothing on your team to compare with Cruz, Jones, Davis, Pearce, Machado, Schoop, Markakis. Your Cardinals have not caught the Brewers and likely wont. Even if they do I do not see them beating the Dodgers. The Orioles can beat anyone in the AL. The only two teams that have a shot against us are Anaheim and Detroit only because of their experience. Oakland is toast. I hope we get them.

It's amazing how the 2 teams who people were ready to crown after the trade deadline--Detroit and Oakland--have underachieved since making those deals. But, we still have over a month's worth of baseball to play & as I said before, this Garrett Richards injury could be what loses the Angels the division--we shall see....