2014 Baseball Thread

jb126

Sanchez now out for the year....not good.

If KC continues their torrid August pace, they are going to win over 100 games. It ain't gonna happen. We play them 8 times in September, and the rest of the Tiger's schedule looks agreeable after this August road stint from hell. Let's see how they hold up during the stretch.

Miggy's ailing again....ankle this time. We sure could use him healthy for this stretch, but I don't see it happening. There's not many players that could have an off-year by hitting .310.

Gotta root for the home team, but I really don't have a problem if KC takes the Central. 28 years is a long time without a winner...I've been there and it sucks !

How about Royals manager Ned Yost calling out the fanbase in KC...

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24682298/royals-manager-ned-yost-criticizes-tuesday-night-attendance

And, what's been astutely pointed out, the fact that Ned Yost is using the apathetic Atlanta Braves fanbase in his argument is shaky to begin with--then you throw in the fact that the Royals have won jackshit in 28 years & I can understand why people are not packing the joint for a late August game with the Twins. Calm down, Mr. Yost....

Edited by paul carruthers

How about Royals manager Ned Yost calling out the fanbase in KC...

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24682298/royals-manager-ned-yost-criticizes-tuesday-night-attendance

And, what's been astutely pointed out, the fact that Ned Yost is using the apathetic Atlanta Braves fanbase in his argument is shaky to begin with--then you throw in the fact that the Royals have won jackshit in 28 years & I can understand why people are not packing the joint for a late August game with the Twins. Calm down, Mr. Yost....

I have a feeling Hughes may beat them tonight? KC and Detroit have two series in Sept that will be HUGE. I hope KC wins but right now I hope Detroit and Price take care of the Yankees like they should with a better pitcher and better team. Especially given that the Yankees are giving Jeter a free pass

Well I do not see Paul posting tonight. But when you return I have a question. I play this contest where if you get to five wins in a row you win a $50 play. I have 3 in a row going into tonight. I have Kershaw and the Dodgers who currently are up 3-0. Dodgers must win by more than a run for me to win. If they do and my streak goes to 4, I like a couple of things tomorrow. I like the Cubs to bounce back with Arrieta at 1230 in the afternoon vs the lowly Reds who somehow managed to win tonight and stick it up my ass. And I like the Orioles to bounce back as Norris has been fabulous but is coming off a loss, his only out of last 6 games at least. I think it may have been at Chicago? cant remember. Hellickson goes for Tampa. The O's are 10-5 against them, they lost tonight after the former Tiger pitcher Smily pitched a masterpiece. Tigers sure should not have let him get away. They got rocked tonight with Pierce giving up 7 runs on 12 men in scoring position. A pure shit game by that overated fucker. Do not have a clue who the Tigers have tomorrow, never heard of him so I expect a slugfest. So do you like the Cubs or O's or someone else? I will check back in the morning chief

^^ Hello Rick, I'm hardly the one to be asking for "pick em" advice, but I'll give it a shot. I'm looking at today's schedule and nothing strikes me as being a lock--the Cubs may be a good bet, but they are playing in the bandbox in Cincy. Maybe you should go with the Royals?

Thanks for your input. I have not seen the Royals matchup. Yes I am alive and have the streak going. Going to look now. Thanks

Well they have not even posted their lines yet. If the Cubs are a pick I will take them with Arrieta over the lousy Reds, the lone mistake I made in our contest. Baltimore will likely be minus a run or 1 1/2 with Norris vs Helliskson its a certain advantage for us. I do not like the KC pick for two reasons. I do not like the pitching matchup. Milone is not bad and they are going for the sweep. Its tough to sweep a team like I have always said. I am hoping my boys take 3 vs Tampa. If so, mission accomplished. Then we get Minnesota and Cincy in our yard. No reason for us not to roll both of them. And get some more distance between us and the Yankees and Toronto. Not that I am really worried. 6 is alot more than it sounds like with 30 left. Its a pretty good lead. And we are 7-3 head up vs the thievin bastards. I hope they are out. I do not want them even getting a wild card. But I must say, Detroit does not impress me one bit right now. They had better wake up fast. They are only in contention because like I have said all along they play in that lousy division. KC being the exception. Oakland no longer looks like the team that they once were. Cespedes meant much more to them than they realized. They really screwed themselves on that deal. Boston seems to be the place Lester wants to wind up. Who says things like that when you are traded to a contender? What an asshole. I would take him out to the fucking woodshed if I were the A's manager and say, you better stop talking about going back to Boston and get your damn priorities in order. We are paying you now, not Boston. Cespedes? Not sure if he will want to stay or go? I know that Pearce has been a saviour for us this year. And Delmon Young has helped a ton also. This kid Jonathan Schoop is a real keeper.A beast at 2nd. I expect they will try to steal some of our players. So I better just worry about winning this pennant without Manny and Matt.

Took my Orioles because they were listed a pick. That is crazy. Norris will win. Cubs were minus a run on the road. Meaning if they win by only one run, I push and go to the next day. Yankees and Tigers were a pick also. I do not know anything about this pitcher for Detroit. Maybe Bonger will let us know? Who is this guy Bonger? Today he is my second favorite pitcher. Just win baby. KC was minus a run also vs Mione. The Twins, who we get next, are loosy goosy. Those are teams that terrify contenders. Because they are just playing out the games without a worry other than keeping their jobs. Which in their case is a long shot.

Go Orioles!!!!!

I sure dodged a bullet. Glad I did not pick the Cubs today for my streak. Down 6-0 to the pitiful reds. Big article in CBS Sportsline saying the Cubs have done thing very well and will be a contender. I agree and think they will be in it next year. That Milwaukee and St Louis race, well Milwaukee manages to stay up a game and a half. Lynn loses and Milwaukee loses. I guess their manager really went off on the umps in San Diego and trouble is bound to come from it. But I do not blame him. I have seen some terrible calls and even calling balls and strikes has been so inconsistent.

Orioles win!!!! 21 over 500.

Pearce left with an abdominal strain? EBK if you hear anything please let me know. They shut the coverage off here as soon as the game ends. I cannot get the post game interview with Buck

Edited by LedZeppfan77

Orioles win!!!! 21 over 500.

Pearce left with an abdominal strain? EBK if you hear anything please let me know. They shut the coverage off here as soon as the game ends. I cannot get the post game interview with Buck

Damn...shoulda read this earlier since I really wasn't paying attention to the Buck interview. But I'll see if Tom or Rick Dempsey say anything about it.

Fun game tonight!

Buck says Pearce was feeling it a couple days ago and he doesn't want to take any chances. Pearce is having an MRI tomorrow morning.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks. Yes we sure need him down the road. I cannot imagine its long term. We have had enough bad luck with Manny and Matt. Likely a few days. We sure are a deep team

Round 2 to the Angels! 4-0 shutout woohoo! :yay:

Still...the loss of Garrett Richards casts dark cloud over playoffs.

Orioles win again!! 22 games over 500. Yankees lose and are now 8 back. Anyone here want to call this division besides me? You lost Richards yes Strider, but lets not pretend its as large as you are saying. I clearly believe the Orioles and Angels are the best two teams in baseball. And yes that includes the Dodgers and Nats. We both have solid bullpens. Our starting pitching is far better than the surface suggests. O's and Angels are on a collision course for the ALCS

We have caught Oakland and an Angels win will put us ahead of them. Angels next. O's can beat anyone. Pearce day to day as MRI is negative

Edited by LedZeppfan77

Okay, cool. So the Baltimore Orioles have one of the best records this year and they are serious contenders to make if to the 2014 championship series. I really do not follow the American League so much, however, since I started replying to this topic (on a Forum about Led Zeppelin, no less), I have taken notice (also because on My phone I have an App called MLB At Bat that provides Me with up to dates and real-time Baseball scores from around the League).

With that being said, I also watch the MLB network channel, as many also do, and the hosts said earlier today, and this is a direct quote, "Never count out the Saint Louis Cardinals in September".

I agree with that statement and quote, because the Mighty Saint Louis Cardinals have been in the National League Championship Series for the last 3 years IN A ROW. The Saint Louis Cardinals will always be a Great Baseball Team and World Series Contenders every Year till the End of Time. How many other Major League teams can really claim that? When, if ever, have the Orioles been in the American League Championship 3 years in a row?

I will say this again, even if the Saint Louis Cardinal do not happen to do what I think They can Do and not make it to this years World Series, I am and will ALWAYS be Proud of the Second Best World Series WINNERS of All-Time. And that Second Best World Series Team Winner is, you may or may have not guessed it, but IT IS THE MIGHTY SAINT LOUIS CARDINALS!!!

LedZeppfan77, can you really justify, rationalize or downplay anything I have just posted about the past regarding My team and yours? When was the last time the Baltimore Orioles were in the American League championship series 3 years in a row? (I think NEVER).

I do not know you personally, however, I do not know what kind of response you will give to My question to you. I say keep it cool and hope that your team and MY team do not have to face each other because, as history as proven, the Saint Louis Cardinals are more of a World Series Caliber Team the 2014 Orioles.

Edited by kingzoso

Going to the game today. Hope it doesn't rain.

And KingBozo, the O's were in the Series 3 years in a row... 1969, 70, and 71.

This rant went on for a while, but I've thought better of it. Have a lovely day, all

Edited by ebk

I see the Tigers are back in first or at the very least, tied for the top spot in the Central. Is there a more schizophrenic team in the majors than the Tigers. One week there are in, then they are out.

And I see the Mariners have dropped a game and 1/2 behind for the 2nd wild card. Still hoping they can secure that 2nd spot....

Edited by paul carruthers