Haven't been in here in a little while - lots of catching up has been done in regards to the F1 races.  Only have the Japanese Grand Prix to watch still.  

NASCAR is three races into The Chase, its playoffs.  Four drivers have been eliminated thus far:  Jaime McMurray, Paul Menard, Clint Bowyer and 6-time champion Jimmie Johnson.  My boy, Kevin Harvick was in a must win situation at Dover this past weekend - after being wrecked in Chicago due to a flat left rear tire, and then ran out of gas with less than 3 laps to go after dominating New Hampshire - and he led 355 out of 400 laps to lay an ass whoppin' on the field and advance to the Contender Round.  

The Contender Round will be raced at the following 3 race tracks:  1.5 mile D-shaped oval Charlotte Motor Speedway, followed by another 1.5 mile D-shaped oval at Kansas Motor Speedway and last the 2.66 Talladega Super Speedway (restrictor plate race).  The following drivers have advanced to the Contender Round:  Matt Kenseth, Denny Hamlin, Kevin Harvick, Joey Logano, Carl Edwards, Kurt Busch, Kyle Busch, Brad Keselowski, Jeff Gordon, Ryan Newman, Martin Truex and Dale Earnhardt Jr.  Whomever has a win in those three races automatically advances to the next round along with the remaining drivers who finish in the top 8 in points for just those three races.  So one bad race can take you out completely, as what happened to Jimmie Johnson at Dover, conversely a win and you're in - as with Kevin Harvick at Dover.  Even if your not into racing all that much, you must watch the end of these races - lots of drama, strategy and emotion.  

The first race is Saturday night at Charlotte, on NBC, starting at 7 pm eastern.  

Go Harvick!!!!  

My current avatar was taken by me at Homestead last year right after he won the 2014 championship.

#4therepeat

Scary looking situation in F1 practice in Sochi but fortunately Carlos Sainz seems to be ok. Qualifying is next. We could have some surprises there since the parctice sessions have been a mess. Yesterday diesel spill on the track and rain, today Sainz's crash.

Didn't watch the Russian Grand Prix this morning, but am currently watching the rain delayed BOA 500 from Charlotte.  150 to go and Harvick is in 5th.  Earnhardt Jr. slowing on the track with a flat tire currently - gonna go down at least 2 laps....  Logano leading.

The car passed pre-race inspection and has gone through the NASCAR post race tear down 19 times this season and have never failed.  That's where the car is confiscated and taken to the NASCAR Research and Development shop.  Harvick has led 60% of the laps run in the first 3 chase races.  He has finished 1st or 2nd in 13 of the 29 races run this season.  Sour grapes on the competitions part.  He who complains so much, is hiding something of their own.  

Harvick up to 2nd! ;)

:cheer:

:drinks:

:thumbsup:

50 to go... Logano 1st, Harvick 2nd - .5 seconds behind.  Harvick is searching for a faster line on the track.  Still at least 1 more pit stop to come.  Chess game being played right now....

Harvick pitting now....

:thumbsup:

50 to go... Logano 1st, Harvick 2nd - .5 seconds behind.  Harvick is searching for a faster line on the track.  Still at least 1 more pit stop to come.  Chess game being played right now....

Harvick pitting now....

Truth be told, Walter, I don't always follow NASCAR...but when I do, I prefer Jeff Gordon. ;)

Gordon's best days are long behind him. So, if it can't be Gordon I don't mind Harvick.

He is bad ass!  Kinda like Zeppelin! ;) 

Been a fan before Big E died, but my undisputed #1 since 2/19/01.  You know I'm loyal! :) 

NASCAR at Kansas today.  Matt Kenseth needs a win after finishing 42nd last week at Charlotte.  Right now he is in the lead, with Harvick and Logano in 2nd and 3rd.  100 to go and Dale Jr has a loose wheel. That'll cost him - however next week is at Talladega, before the championship contenders are trimmed down to 8.

Lots of rain in Austin, Texas - making a mess of the U.S. Grand Prix weekend. Hamilton can wrap up the title with a win and Vettel finishing in 3rd.  Crazy finish in Russia, marlam!  Glad for Perez though - he is an untapped talent, IMO.  I heard Haas F1 is going to announce their 2nd driver in the next few weeks and that he is a Mexican driver - could Perez be heading over there for the team's inaugural season?

NASCAR is at Talladega this week and it's an elimination week in The Chase.  The championship contenders will be pared down from 12 to 8.  Logano is the only driver guaranteed to advance.  Harvick is only 7 points to the good.  This is a restrictor plate track (similar to Daytona) so any wreck can take out a large number of cars - coined "The Big One".  Will be on pins and needles throughout the 188 lap contest...

^ At least the mechanics haven't lost their humour in those conditions :)

Rumour is that Esteban Gutierrez, Ferrari's test driver, will be the second Haas driver. Sounds logical since Haas will be using Ferrari engines.

Edited by marlam

^ At least the mechanics haven't lost their humour in those conditions :)

Rumour is that Esteban Gutierrez, Ferrari's test driver, will be the second Haas driver. Sounds logical since Haas will be using Ferrari engines.

See, you know what's going on in F1.  That makes perfect sense!  Thank you for the info.  Hope you're doing well, marlam!  What was Kimi's penalty for the wreck last race?  I thought it was just good, hard racing for a podium position.

15 years ago...Dale Earnhardt's last win ever, at Talladega.  He came from 25th to first in 5 laps, winning a one million dollar bonus on top of winning the race.  If you have 5 minutes to spare, you should check out "The Intimidator" in the black and white 3 car take everyone to school at the ripe age of 49 - five months before his untimely passing.

Wild finish at Talladega today to say the least.  Unofficially Earnhardt Jr, Hamlin, Kenseth and last year's runner up Newman are all out.  Advancing to the next round of 3 are Joey Logano, Brad Keselowski, Martin Truex, Carl Edwards, Kyle Busch, Kurt Busch, defending champion Kevin Harvick and in his final season Jeff Gordon.

Edited by Walter

The race in Austin last sunday was great! Definitely one of the best this season, even though the final top three was less interesting. Lewis Hamilton joined Ayrton Senna, Niki Lauda, Nelson Piquet, Jackie Stewart and Jack Brabham as a three-time world champion. Only Michael Schumacher, Alain Prost, Juan Manuel Fangio and Sebastian Vettel have more world titles.

Next race is in Mexico (first time since 1992) this weekend.

Well people, I have totally missed this thread! I'll try to catch up on it Saturday and start participating. It's funny as I was on the phone with Bobby Unser last Sunday and I asked him if he had saw the movie Rush and he stated he had not but that he would and then he would let me know. I do know he respects Lauda. I can't believe Bobby is  81 years old now!:rollin:     

Kimi and Valtteri had contact again but luckily Bottas survived without damage and finished in 3rd place. I'm wondering what happened to that fast and reliable Räikkönen who drove in Lotus couple of years ago. He has made lots of mistakes lately, which isn't typical for him.

Well people, I have totally missed this thread! I'll try to catch up on it Saturday and start participating. It's funny as I was on the phone with Bobby Unser last Sunday and I asked him if he had saw the movie Rush and he stated he had not but that he would and then he would let me know. I do know he respects Lauda. I can't believe Bobby is  81 years old now!:rollin:     

Wow! Incredibly cool Deborah! :yesnod: