1977 Black Dog

Bonzo_fan

Does anyone else wish they played "Black Dog" more often in 1977? I was listening to June 13th yesterday and thought "Black Dog" sounded really good, and surprisingly Jones' Alembic suited it quite well. It also seems like it was Bonzo's idea to do it. There's a substantial pause after "Whole Lotta Love"; it's as if the rest of the band are expecting him to jump into "Rock And Roll," but instead (and we can't know for sure because of the poor tape quality) he calls for "Black Dog". Sort of like he did for "Trampled Under Foot" on June 23rd.

The only other "Black Dog" we have on tape from '77 is July 23rd in Oakland. I was reading one of the reviews from May 31st in Greensboro the other day and the guy seemed to remember them playing it after "Rock And Roll" at that show. That would make sense if my theory about Bonzo wanting to do it June 13th is correct seeing as the Greensboro show was on his birthday--maybe he liked it better than "Rock And Roll" (I know I do).

Good topic! I have only heard one '77 live version...Oakland on 7/23. And on that one, no Out On The Tiles intro. Did they can the Out On The Tiles intro for all '77 performances, besides Oakland?

They obviously brought it back for the 1979 live shows.

Thanks! Can't speak for 4/13 St. Paul as there is no known recording, but there's no "Out On The Tiles" intro on the 6/13 version. My guess is they canned it because it was already used at the beginning of "Over The Top".

Does anyone else wish they played "Black Dog" more often in 1977?

I didn't and still don't. The 1975 tour totally sated and sapped my appetite for "Black Dog". In 1977, "The Rover", "Wanton Song", "For Your Life", "Royal Orleans", "Out on the Tiles"(the full song), "In the Light", "Night Flight", "The Ocean", and "Celebration Day" were all higher priorities on my setlist wish list. I couldn't care less about hearing "Black Dog" yet again, as I had already heard it at every previous Zeppelin concert. Sorry if that hurts anybody's feelings...just my opinion.

I didn't and still don't. The 1975 tour totally sated and sapped my appetite for "Black Dog". In 1977, "The Rover", "Wanton Song", "For Your Life", "Royal Orleans", "Out on the Tiles"(the full song), "In the Light", "Night Flight", "The Ocean", and "Celebration Day" were all higher priorities on my setlist wish list. I couldn't care less about hearing "Black Dog" yet again, as I had already heard it at every previous Zeppelin concert. Sorry if that hurts anybody's feelings...just my opinion.

Fair enough, no hurt feelings. I agree all of those would've been pretty sweet if played.

Black Dog is one of my absolute Zep faves. Love the 77 version from Oakland.

One of mine as well. You should check out the one from New York too, sound quality isn't as good as Oakland but it's a great performance.

Gotta agree with strider, there are countless songs I wish had been part of the setlist in 77 but black dog isnt one of them. it was a song that was instrumental in the beginning of my zeppelin journey but I rarely play it these days.

love black dog when the band is on, like the 72 version on HTWWW, they just destroy in this one. Pages solo is absolutely stunning. The 02 reunion black dog was solid, the drums sounded fantastic and Page ripped some very tasty notes, to me, this black dog(on a magic night) really demonstrates the power of the band.

what are some other killer, high energy black dogs?

love black dog when the band is on, like the 72 version on HTWWW, they just destroy in this one. Pages solo is absolutely stunning. The 02 reunion black dog was solid, the drums sounded fantastic and Page ripped some very tasty notes, to me, this black dog(on a magic night) really demonstrates the power of the band.

what are some other killer, high energy black dogs?

The stretch from August 31 1971 Orlando thru September 29 1971 Osaka has some great Black Dogs...the one on 9.14.71 at Berkeley being particularly powerful.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived