Best Bonham Performances in Achilles Last Stand?

Bonzo_fan

I suppose this is getting a bit nit-picky, but I was thinking that the best versions based solely on Bonham's performance might be a slightly different list than the best versions overall, since it could include some where the other three might not have been great etc.

I have some in mind but I won't put any ideas in your heads just yet...

1977/05/21

1977/05/22

1977/06/08

1977/06/21

1977/06/25

1977/06/27

1979/08/11

1980/06/21

1980/06/30

1980/07/05

I'm with you on all but 1977/06/27 -- I love that show but his drumming in Achilles is my least favorite part of the whole show, I always find it kills the momentum of the song.

I'd add 1977/06/13 too, good list though.

• 4 weeks later...

05/22/77 is the single greatest performance by Bonham of Achilles. He goes nuts right from the start. He plays unique variations throughout the second half of the song and the outro is unique and very aggressive. Others come close, like 06/23/77, but at Ft. Worth he never slacks for even a second.

• 2 weeks later...

05/22/77 is the single greatest performance by Bonham of Achilles. He goes nuts right from the start. He plays unique variations throughout the second half of the song and the outro is unique and very aggressive. Others come close, like 06/23/77, but at Ft. Worth he never slacks for even a second.

After listening to 5/22 again I'd have to agree with you, wow!

^^^^

Interesting, I find 6/25 to be Bonham's worst performance amongst the Forum shows as he is clearly sluggish throughout the show. Mind you he has strong moments like the end of Kashmir and an aggressive OTT, but his playing the next night is much improved and back in line with the first three shows.

Have you heard shows like Ft. Worth and the second Cleveland show? ALS on 6/25 pales in comparison in my opinion...

• 1 month later...

So, perhaps more people have heard 5/22 now than before since the soundboard has dropped. What's the consensus on Bonham's performance in ALS? Most still think 6/23 is better?

I still say this (ranked in order):

5/22 Ft. Worth

6/29 Zurich

6/23 LA

4/28 Cleveland

7/17 Seattle

I'm with you on all but 1977/06/27 -- I love that show but his drumming in Achilles is my least favorite part of the whole show, I always find it kills the momentum of the song.

I'd add 1977/06/13 too, good list though.

Sue has a soft spot in her heart regarding 6.27.77...if you asked what were the best performances of every song on the 1977 tour setlist, Sue would probably list a 6.27.77 performance more often than not. ;)

As for the OP question...this will take some time and some thought.

Archived