Why Should I Holiday In Your Area?

Charles J. White

Something that is lighthearted and fun, tell us why your area or community would make for a cool place to visit or holiday in. Here goes mine:

For Nova Scotia I have 2 areas but both are only worth visiting in the summer and fall so here goes:

Spending a week in Halifax is worth it for the following:

- Public Gardens in Halifax with excellent flower gardens and large multiple tree types, great place to take pictures and go for a walk established in 1837 and a place that would make the Queen smile with pride!

- 3 Great used record stores

- Kayaking in the Shubie Canal and lock system drawn up in 1794, connecting the Bay of Fundy and Halifax Harbour, the longest canal system in Atlantic Canada and New England.

- The Halifax Citadel, Fort York Redoubt, and MacNabs Island part of the colonial war time fortresses

- The Saturday morning farmers market on the waterfront

- The Halifax boardwalk

- Bicycle the Shearwater Flyer Trail, Salt Marsh Trail into Cow Bay connecting to Atlantic View Trail, connecting to the Blueberry Run Trail a grand distance of 32 km's the entire run follows ocean, beaches, farms, and forests.

- The Maritime Museum of the Atlantic which has a number of Titantic related items

Something that is lighthearted and fun, tell us why your area or community would make for a cool place to visit or holiday in. Here goes mine:

For Nova Scotia I have 2 areas but both are only worth visiting in the summer and fall so here goes:

- Public Gardens in Halifax with excellent flower gardens and large multiple tree types, great place to take pictures and go for a walk established in 1837 and a place that would make the Queen smile with pride!

- Kayaking in the Shubie Canal and lock system drawn up in 1794, connecting the Bay of Fundy and Halifax Harbour, the longest canal system in Atlantic Canada and New England.

- The Halifax Citadel, Fort York Redoubt, and MacNabs Island part of the colonial war time fortresses

- The Halifax boardwalk

- Bicycle the Shearwater Flyer Trail, Salt Marsh Trail into Cow Bay connecting to Atlantic View Trail, connecting to the Blueberry Run Trail a grand distance of 32 km's the entire run follows ocean, beaches, farms, and forests.

- The Maritime Museum of the Atlantic which has a number of Titantic related items

I do wish that i could fly over there straight away.

I met two guys from there at the O2 show (who also told me about how nature looks up there), great people, would love to see them once again.

I do wish that i could fly over there straight away.

I met two guys from there at the O2 show (who also told me about how nature looks up there), great people, would love to see them once again.

Tell us about your area, it must have something as well, go on, give it a try!

- The Halifax boardwalk

Great description, Charles. You've made me want to visit Nova Scotia straight away, too. Here in the Richmond area we have great kayaking opportunities and biking/walking areas along the James River in "plantation country." Some of these plantations are open to the public. We have great used bookstores, record shops, and a world-class French film festival, not to mention lots of Civil War history.

You should holiday in Detroit because anywhere else you go will seem like paradise, and you'll never complain about home again.

Lol.

You should holiday in Detroit because anywhere else you go will seem like paradise, and you'll never complain about home again.

You know something? I like visiting Detroit. I like the museums, I love the ballpark, I've eaten really well. Of course, I do get to go home after a few days... :)

You know something? I like visiting Detroit. I like the museums, I love the ballpark, I've eaten really well. Of course, I do get to go home after a few days... :)

Michigan is a scenically beautiful state, and it's near the wonderful Great Lakes. As mentioned above by ebk, Detroit has great museums as well.

Visit Venlo......

lol

we have cows, German tourists and nothing more, unless you want to visit the best record store in the Netherlands (called Sounds).

Venlo doesn't sound bad ...and it's only a few hours from Amsterdam.

I have been to Michigan once. The Upper Peninsula is beautiful. There are lots of rolling hills.

I've been there as well -- a nature-lover's paradise.

As an illustration of why someone should holiday in this area: I'm currently packing for a trip down to Colonial Williamsburg and Virginia Beach. I also plan to re-visit Jamestown, Yorktown, (maybe)Busch Gardens, and one of the country's largest waterparks -- all within easy driving distance of Richmond.

I'm actually very impressed that two of you have been to the U.P. of Michigan. Crossing the bridge and getting off I-75 is like stepping in to the 1930's. It's my favorite place in the country to relax....the place literally forces it...you have no choice. Lake Superior has it's own special vibe, and will put a chill in your bones in July and August. It never matters where you go in the U.P.....just follow the water.

Gotta add a note about The Henry Ford Museum/Greenfield Village in Dearborn. Besides the Smithsonian, it's probably the coolest museum there is to walk around. Once you find something that interests you, it's an all-day affair. Everything from cars, guns, steam engines, vacuum cleaners, Kennedy's limo, Lincoln's chair , Rosa's bus...It's all there.

Honestly, the hell with vacationing here...in the Capitol of the Free World! :D

We're off to New York tomorrow morning. The Greatest City in The World! If I had all the money in the world, I would live there in a heartbeat!

Seeing a show every night. Touring Lincoln Center Monday and Yankee Stadium Tuesday.

And I'm sure there will be food.

Yay!

Here is the 2nd region, this would be for the summer or fall:

http://www.cabottrail.travel/

http://www.glenoradistillery.com/

http://cabotlinks.com/golf/

http://www.highlandslinksgolf.com/

http://whaleandsealcruise.com/

http://www.kayakingcapebreton.ca/

Did I mention 32 waterfalls waiting to be discovered? Oh and I almost forgot the Inverness, Margaree, and Cheticamp (which has mountains as a backdrop) beaches.

Why should you visit the beautiful city of The Hague?

The Hague is the dutch city of peace, justice and .........., rock&roll.

Yes, our parliament resides here and yes, The Hague is the home of varous courts of (international) law.

However, The Hague is a beautiful city with a rich history and plenty of cultural things to do (architecture, museums, art galleries, theatre), that culture

includes rock&roll music. In the 60's and 70's The Hague had MANY rockbands (ranging from average to VERY good)

I think many people will remember bands like Shocking Blue (Venus) and Golden Earring (Radar Love, Twilight Zone).

I'm 37 years old (born in 1977), so I am too young to have been a part of that scene. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I do remember hearing and reading that Golden Earring and Led Zep knew

each other, due to touring the US in the 70's. The Hague still is a city of great music-clubs and upcoming rock&roll talent.

Oh yes and off course there is the beach, Scheveningen-beach is great.

So if you're a person for culture, beach-life or rock&roll, please come and visit my home town.

Maaike

Yes, our parliament resides here and yes, The Hague is the home of varous courts of (international) law.

However, The Hague is a beautiful city with a rich history and plenty of cultural things to do (architecture, museums, art galleries, theatre), that culture

includes rock&roll music. In the 60's and 70's The Hague had MANY rockbands (ranging from average to VERY good)

I think many people will remember bands like Shocking Blue (Venus) and Golden Earring (Radar Love, Twilight Zone).

I'm 37 years old (born in 1977), so I am too young to have been a part of that scene. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I do remember hearing and reading that Golden Earring and Led Zep knew

each other, due to touring the US in the 70's. The Hague still is a city of great music-clubs and upcoming rock&roll talent.

So if you're a person for culture, beach-life or rock&roll, please come and visit my home town.

Maaike

An interesting and intriguing tribute to your hometown, Maaike.

Maaike

Makes me want to visit!

• 3 months later...

Great description, Charles. You've made me want to visit Nova Scotia straight away, too. Here in the Richmond area we have great kayaking opportunities and biking/walking areas along the James River in "plantation country." Some of these plantations are open to the public. We have great used bookstores, record shops, and a world-class French film festival, not to mention lots of Civil War history.

Lol.

The Civil War history stuff sounds really interesting - anytime you can combine that with a few good used bookstores and record shops you have a winning combination. I had no idea about the French film festival, that one peaked my interest.

Chili, this one is just for you, because you mention golf a fair bit around these parts:

http://www.novascotiawebcams.com/en/webcams/highlands-links-12/

And this one as well

http://www.novascotiawebcams.com/en/webcams/highlands-links-18/

And this one

http://www.novascotiawebcams.com/en/webcams/highlands-links-4/

Archived