Interview With Stuart Epps - Sol Studios

I came across this interview with engineer Stuart Epps of Sol Studios, who talks about working for Jimmy, the making of Coda and the making of Deathwish II. He also talks about his favorite Zeppelin album, In Through The Out Door, and Jimmy's "cut and paste" solos. I found this to be a very refreshing interview, truthful and respectful, yet not from the perspective of a brainless fanboy. He clearly holds Jimmy in high regard, but he doesn't sugar coat his opinions. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=GRgF-8K4T-I

I came across this interview with engineer Stuart Epps of Sol Studios, who talks about working for Jimmy, the making of Coda and the making of Deathwish II. He also talks about his favorite Zeppelin album, In through The Out Door, and Jimmy's "cut and paste" solos. I found this to be a very refreshing interview, truthful and respectful, yet not from the perspective of a brainless fanboy. He clearly holds Jimmy in high regard, but he doesn't sugar coat his opinions. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=GRgF-8K4T-I

Great interview!

Thanks, Dark Lord. That was very interesting. Stuart Epps provides a lot of personal insight about his interaction with Jimmy and what was going on with Led Zeppelin during that time. His technical expertise adds another layer of interesting facts.

Thanks DL. That was great. I listened to it last night. One critique is I wish the interviewer didn't nudge Stuart Epps away from discussing the Death Wish 2 Soundtrack so quickly.. He sounded like he really wanted to talk about it.. To me, it's musically one of the most interesting projects Jimmy Page was ever involved in..

XYZ as well for that matter. Either way it was very enjoyable.

Glad you all liked it. Thanks for the comments. I posted this as It was something that I thought stepped out of the normal subject matter, and for that reason I really enjoyed Epps' insight and honesty. Like you, The Chase, I love Deathwish II and XYZ, so that really hit home with me, and as you all know, I adore ITTOD too, which is Epps' fave. This is a funny listen with head phones as you can hear roughly 20 edits where Epps dropped the F-bomb.

Thanks DL. That was great. I listened to it last night. One critique is I wish the interviewer didn't nudge Stuart Epps away from discussing the Death Wish 2 Soundtrack so quickly.. He sounded like he really wanted to talk about it.. To me, it's musically one of the most interesting projects Jimmy Page was ever involved in..

XYZ as well for that matter. Either way it was very enjoyable.

Agreed. The interviewer certainly seemed to have an objective of trying to stay as on-Zep as possible without going off into solo projects. It's a shame as the overwhelming theme I got out of it was how the creative mind of Jimmy Page works, in what was his studio.

Stuart Epps has certainly had an interesting career. He's not the first person to describe Jimmy Page as "eccentric" so I'm starting to think there is something to this. I think Epps is right about many of rock's geniuses being oddballs.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree disco duck, that was interesting to hear about.

What I was trying to say at the time, but couldn't complete my thought, was that I found the interview sad in regards to them putting the record, coda, together in a sad time in led zeppelin's history.

so interesting!

but, suggestion for the good folks at icon: don't play music underneath the interview! It makes it hard to hear at times. Just a weird choice...

I'm listening to it right now, started off great, but yeah the music underneath is unnecessary and intrusive.

Archived