Comedian/Actor Robin Williams Dead of Suicide

SuperDave

They've finally cleared most of the decaying flowers. Strange, I didn't think to visit Robin Williams' hand and footprints in the Chinese Theatre forecourt until someone asked me to take a photo of Lauren Bacall's. I wasn't even sure if Robin had put his hands and feet in cement but after searching, I found his square. It must have been done around the time of "Dead Poets Society".

post-1470-0-34295800-1408126028_thumb.jp

I can imagine what Robin Williams family is going through, I myself have suffered from boughts of depression. The last severe one was exactly 1 year ago when I was made redundant from a job (my ex employer had made my life hell on the running up to it) And the previous time was about 2007/08.

And even though, I tried to block out "the black thoughts" as I called it, there was one thing that I had really noticed, and it is when the mind can suddenly become your very very worse nightmare. It is a powerful horrible scenario, and even though I did at the end manage to "crawl" out of it, it is still lurking about.

I didn't go to any doctor though, sadly here in Northern Ireland (and I'm sure it's not the only country) the doctors tend to treat patients with a handful of pills and shoo them away, usually something like diazepam, which has turned half of my neighborhood into zombies. That route I refuse to take, no matter how bad it gets/or has got.

I do remember reading online, or rather I was Googling about suicides (I think this was one of the times the "black thoughts" was nipping at my tail. I came across the suicide note of Virgina Woolfe and it was utterly heartbreaking that I found myself in tears by the end.

What I don't like, and I don't know if anyone else has been through this, is when you say you are depressed, you are faced with a comment such as "oh cheer up, it may never happen" or..."sure I'm depressed even looking at you..." like it is something to make mockery out of or to be taken in a joke form.

I am not too sure what I have said should have been on another thread.

Definitely shouldn't have been on another thread. The only way any good at all can come of this horrible, premature, lonely and unnecessary death (and of such a gifted and lovely person) is if it does something to raise awareness of these issues. As you have experienced, there's an awful lot of ignorance surrounding depression.

God, he was funny, though.

"Dubya doesn't speak while Cheney's drinking water. Check that shit out." - Robin Williams

I am still Sad(enned) about Robin Williams.

I post this to solidify My saying that Mr. Williams and Mr. De Niro have been friends for over 3+ decades.

To Me this is a very funny, however, brief clip (and yet very sad as to know about the sudden demise of this Comic Genius).

• 3 weeks later...

Archived