Is John Davis working on new Zep material?

lcondo123

Pardon me if this has been covered before, I've only seen a few posts about it, but I thought I'd make a whole thread for this. John Davis (masters Led Zep's music) tweeted on Aug 28th that he's mastering some Zeppelin and when he was questioned by someone what the Zep material was, he replied with a "Sealed Lips Will Save Our Ships" propaganda poster from the 40's as a joke. I know I'm not exactly on the ball with the news but would anyone have any ideas what this could be?? I heard that Jimmy said months ago that the remasters were finished being mastered, so maybe one of them encountered a problem? Possibly a "How the East Was Won" in the making? Feel free to post what ideas/things you would wish for that could be released in the near future! This thread is just for pure speculation of what you may think it is or what you could hope for it to be, it's always interesting to hear what others have to say about stuff like this, even if they are taking a wild guess.

The original tweets:

https://twitter.com/daftfader/status/504968985977565184

https://twitter.com/daftfader/status/504976566880075776

With the re-releases being focused on Zep "in the studio" (with the exception of LZ1 for obvious reasons), i'd like to think he's working on some live material that page is ready to put out there.

I would love a How the East Was Won.

Shit, i'll pay for a $100 boxset where the only song released is a mastered version of As Long as I Have You

With the re-releases being focused on Zep "in the studio" (with the exception of LZ1 for obvious reasons), i'd like to think he's working on some live material that page is ready to put out there.

That's what I'm praying for too, there's a chance!! :smiley_pray::smiley_pray:

I would love a How the East Was Won.

Shit, i'll pay for a $100 boxset where the only song released is a mastered version of As Long as I Have You

whats the obvious exception of not making LZI a studio bonus disc? im curious as to know what you mean if there isnt a stable of enough material from those October 1968 sessions

whats the obvious exception of not making LZI a studio bonus disc? im curious as to know what you mean if there isnt a stable of enough material from those October 1968 sessions

Er.. well the bonus disc for LZI has been released and it was a live show. It's an obvious exception because it is the exception (Jimmy's said all the rest will be studio outtakes).

FunkyPhantom meant exactly what he wrote - I don't think there's any hidden subtext.

Pardon me if this has been covered before, I've only seen a few posts about it, but I thought I'd make a whole thread for this. John Davis (masters Led Zep's music) tweeted on Aug 28th that he's mastering some Zeppelin and when he was questioned by someone what the Zep material was, he replied with a "Sealed Lips Will Save Our Ships" propaganda poster from the 40's as a joke. I know I'm not exactly on the ball with the news but would anyone have any ideas what this could be?? I heard that Jimmy said months ago that the remasters were finished being mastered, so maybe one of them encountered a problem? Possibly a "How the East Was Won" in the making? Feel free to post what ideas/things you would wish for that could be released in the near future! This thread is just for pure speculation of what you may think it is or what you could hope for it to be, it's always interesting to hear what others have to say about stuff like this, even if they are taking a wild guess.

Whoa now, hold your horses! The "someone" was me -- and my tweets were all humorous banter, I assure you.

Even though the mastering work was supposed to have been finished long ago, it's possible that there was some tweaking necessary -- or maybe they were just mastering some of the latter day albums' vinyl, since Davis has had his hand in that work as well.

Let's hope so! All I can add is I remember Jimmy being interviewed about the box sets and saying 'there's more stuff that can be done' when asked about future projects.

More recently when interviewed, he replied that there were no further Zeppelin releases on the horizon. It seems unlikely that, over the course of a few weeks, he backpedaled on that.

That is exactly the implication -- lack of substantial/sufficient outtakes from the Led Zeppelin sessions.

More recently when interviewed, he replied that there were no further Zeppelin releases on the horizon. It seems unlikely that, over the course of a few weeks, he backpedaled on that.

Let's hope that the view of Jimmy's horizon changes. :)

Why never? Curious, as its was certainly a viable option (assuming there were tapes available, which we couldn't possibly know if there weren't)

Maybe it's being saved for Coda, who know's......We'll have to wait and see.

Archived