The Retro Thread

SozoZoso

Straight Satans MC Venice Ca, circa 1966.

There was a small connection between the Straight Satans M.C. and the Manson family via one Straight Satan member Danny DeCarlo. Danny was never involved in any murders, maybe some auto theft, but Danny was mostly hanging around the Manson family for the "free love" with the girls.

Charlie wanted to recruit various white motorcycle gang members to help in his plans for a race war (Helter Skelter) against the Blacks.

spacer.png

Guy on the left is Charlie Manson

spacer.png

More Straight Satans

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

1 hour ago, kipper said:

Straight Satans MC Venice Ca, circa 1966.

There was a small connection between the Straight Satans M.C. and the Manson family via one Straight Satan member Danny DeCarlo. Danny was never involved in any murders, maybe some auto theft, but Danny was mostly hanging around the Manson family for the "free love" with the girls.

Charlie wanted to recruit various white motorcycle gang members to help in his plans for a race war (Helter Skelter) against the Blacks.

spacer.png

Guy on the left is Charlie Manson

spacer.png

More Straight Satans

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Lot of club wars back then. Hasn't changed much. I wonder if Manson even knew how to ride? Looks to me like his race war is on the verge of coming true. There were a few cool Angels back then but not many. My friend Sam got beat up by them in the park in the late 60's. The Gypsy Jokers were also around in SF.

6 minutes ago, redrum said:

Hard to tell if it's the Angels. My first HD was like the Sportster on the right with a magneto.

Yeah, those are the Angels. I think that photo originally appeared in LIFE magazine.  I was trying to tell where the location was in Bakersfield.  Bakersfield still has a large contingent  of 1%rs--- especially over in Oildale.

I think back then there were a lot of Sportsters on the roads.  I heard they all went to crap after AMF bought HD.

Edited by kipper

54 minutes ago, kipper said:

Yeah, those are the Angels. I think that photo originally appeared in LIFE magazine.  I was trying to tell where the location was in Bakersfield.  Bakersfield still has a large contingent  of 1%rs--- especially over in Oildale.

I think back then there were a lot of Sportsters on the roads.  I heard they all went to crap after AMF bought HD.

Barger rode a Sporty and I never felt bad when others would call the Sportster a 'girls bike.' My '77 Shovel was AMF, so there ya' go.

This is my brother's stepdaughter on my Sporty when I first got it. It needed a shitload of work, but turned into the best of the 3 bikes I've owned.

GINA ON SPORTY.jpg

14 minutes ago, redrum said:

Barger rode a Sporty and I never felt bad when others would call the Sportster a 'girls bike.' My '77 Shovel was AMF, so there ya' go.

This is my brother's stepdaughter on my Sporty when I first got it. It needed a shitload of work, but turned into the best of the 3 bikes I've owned.

GINA ON SPORTY.jpgha

Nice one!

So what was the deal with AMF --- or was it just negative hype?  My Dad loved his Triumph, but like all things English it would leak oil too.  I know some HDs leaked oil up top like crazy.

1 minute ago, kipper said:

Nice one!

So what was the deal with AMF --- or was it just negative hype?  My Dad loved his Triumph, but like all things English it would leak oil too.  I know some HDs leaked oil up top like crazy.

Well, the story goes that HD didn't like being taken over by a sports mfg. company and the workers would sabotage the new bikes on the  assembly line.

The Triumph electrics were also legendary-----Lucas-The Prince Of Darkness. 😄

1 minute ago, kipper said:

Cool photo! Almost like a movie poster for The Outsiders

spacer.png

I'm sure that Penn was a bit nervous dealing with them. I sure as hell would have been. I have a book by Eric Burdon and he talks about when Janis Joplin took him into the Fillmore auditorium he saw all this 'red paint' on the floor. Come to find it was some poor bastard beaten by the Angels and they dragged him bleeding across the floor. I never saw anything like that at the Fillmore, Avalon Ballroom. Winterland, etc. Only in the park when the free concerts were held. The Angels seemed to always beat someone eventually.

2 minutes ago, redrum said:

I'm sure that Penn was a bit nervous dealing with them. I sure as hell would have been. I have a book by Eric Burdon and he talks about when Janis Joplin took him into the Fillmore auditorium he saw all this 'red paint' on the floor. Come to find it was some poor bastard beaten by the Angels and they dragged him bleeding across the floor. I never saw anything like that at the Fillmore, Avalon Ballroom. Winterland, etc. Only in the park when the free concerts were held. The Angels seemed to always beat someone eventually.

I knew the Angels could be tough, I never had occasion to be around any. We saw them, gave them a wide berth and due respect, and no problem. Bunch of suburban white kids, biggest threat to us were the local cholo gangs.

Had a friend in high school who's older brother was infatuated with the Hells Angels and was into motorcycles. At some point he was loosely connected with the local Angles club but only as a "hang around"--- basically running errands for beer and drugs, and probably never even a prospect consideration. Then this kid gets into a beef with some full patched guy in another M.C. (not sure which one) and my friend's brother claims to be an Angel's "prospect"--- so the other guy gave him a pass, but took his wallet and ID. Then he contacted someone he knew in the local Angel's club (because not all of these clubs are enemies anyway) and asked about him and told them he claimed to be a "prospect" of theirs and if the Angel's had any stake on him?

Well.... that didn't go well. My friends older brother got beat down HARD by the Angels.... like worse than Rodney King hard. So bad he was in the hospital for a week and to this day he has a crooked eye.  Lessons learned I guess---- those Angel's "play for keeps" so best to steer clear of them.  They have rules, and claiming to something you are not, or wearing a patch or color you should not---- they will punish people for that.

2 minutes ago, kipper said:

I knew the Angels could be tough, I never had occasion to be around any. We saw them, gave them a wide berth and due respect, and no problem. Bunch of suburban white kids, biggest threat to us were the local cholo gangs.

Had a friend in high school who's older brother was infatuated with the Hells Angels and was into motorcycles. At some point he was loosely connected with the local Angles club but only as a "hang around"--- basically running errands for beer and drugs, and probably never even a prospect consideration. Then this kid gets into a beef with some full patched guy in another M.C. (not sure which one) and my friend's brother claims to be an Angel's "prospect"--- so the other guy gave him a pass, but took his wallet and ID. Then he contacted someone he knew in the local Angel's club (because not all of these clubs are enemies anyway) and asked about him and told them he claimed to be a "prospect" of theirs and if the Angel's had any stake on him?

Well.... that didn't go well. My friends older brother got beat down HARD by the Angels.... like worse than Rodney King hard. So bad he was in the hospital for a week and to this day he has a crooked eye.  Lessons learned I guess---- those Angel's "play for keeps" so best to steer clear of them.  They have rules, and claiming to something you are not, or wearing a patch or color you should not---- they will punish people for that.

They were all around the old neighborhood (Noe Valley and Mission district). Thompson describes them to a T when he says they'd emerge from their garages in the damp SF air to head out to the Bass Lake run. Even Hunter crossed the line and got whomped. Tsk tsk. They had a club house over the hill from us by Bayshore and they'd come over and down Cortland Ave. in a huge pack. The sound was awesome. Wish I'd had my digital recorder back then. They used to pass the hookah around in the park for anyone to drop whatever into it and if you didn't have anything the Angel would give you the evil eye. 😡

5 hours ago, RainbowElf said:

The Hells Angels have a clubhouse here in Newark, in the worst part of Newark, I bet you none of the brothers mess with them, not even the Bloods, Crips or Latin Kings.

I always find it fascinating how Bloods, Crips, and 18th Street --- all gangs from Southern California have been able to migrate to cities across the country.  But it doesn't seem to go the same way form the East. Not sure, but I have never heard of any Latin King sets here in SoCal, but I may be wrong.

Back in my day Black gangs all across the Los Angeles basin were divided mainly into two gangs (Bloods and Crips)---and they were in many communities. But the Mexican gangs are many, and some go back 60 - 70 years.  18th Street, White Fence, Avenues, Frog Town, Toonerville, Lomas, Florencia, Clanton 14--- you had to know where their territories started and ended, you could never assume you were not in a gang territory--- or even worse find yourself at the wrong time of night in a disputed territory between two rival gangs. You got really good at knowing how to read "the signs" which are mostly the graffiti (tags) marking the various areas.

spacer.png

Clanton 14 (Clanton Street) gang circa 1940s

Knowing what the graffiti means is all about knowing where you are and WHO is watching you.  If you are white it isn't necessarily as big of a risk if you just appear to be passing through alone from point A to point B.  Have 3 or 4 other white guys with you in your car and someone may ask you what you are doing in a place. But for Mexican guys who may or may not be gang affiliated and they are somewhere that they aren't recognized, the standard challenge will be, "where are you from?"  So if they aren't gang affiliated they MUST say, "I'm from nowhere".  But if they are affiliated they are expected to own up and that may mean flashing a gang sign.  Often "where are you from?" is followed immediately by gunfire. The lesson there is people who look like they might be gang affiliated had better know where they are BEFORE they go there.

Some gangs have been known to kill their own prospects when asked where they are from and they say from "nowhere" and then they are shot anyway.  For many getting out of a gang is very difficult. They and their entire family basically have to move to another area, but even that may not help them---- their tattoos may still give them away.

Some crazy stuff there Kipper, I bet you no one asks the Angels where they’re from.

I saw saw some Pagans pass through Newark too, that’s taking a risk as Pagans MC are rivals of the Angels.

They closed the WOW! Thread by the way.

Edited by RainbowElf

3 hours ago, RainbowElf said:

Some crazy stuff there Kipper, I bet you no one asks the Angels where they’re from.

I saw saw some Pagans pass through Newark too, that’s taking a risk as Pagans MC are rivals of the Angels.

They closed the WOW! Thread by the way.

Yeah, I saw that thread thing. Best we don't comment on it in this thread  so as not to get any squabbles here.

Yeah, getting caught between rivals gangs or 1% M.C.s is not a good spot to be in. Out here the Angles and the Mongols have had some exchanges with their ongoing war that has had incidents from SF, Reno, and here in SoCal. When it gets to throwing shots on freeways---not good.  But I have to be honest, I know the Angels play for keeps, and I know that when they go after someone they are very brutal. But from my view if you don't mess with them they won't fuck with you.  Dumbest things I've seen people do---especially your weekend warrior motorcycle club types from the suburbs--- are when they start approaching 1%'rs and saying dumb stuff.  Like asking to pose for a photo with them next to their bikes and shit like that.  Want to compliment them on their ride--- sure be cool about it.  But if they are with their people, best to just acknowledge their presence respectfully without gawking at them and then keep your distance. I've experienced the same with the Mexican gangs--- especially the older "veteranos".  Play it cool and you won't have a problem.

Best way to act around gangs is just imagine you are in the prison yard with them and have a clue about "the rules".  You just don't roll up on someone in their turf without it clear what your intentions are. Accidentally bump into some gang member or his girlfriend...say "sorry, my bad".  Any perceived disrespect left unresolved can turn deadly---and fast.

A reason why they call "vida loca" (crazy life)--- it can be crazy.

12 hours ago, kipper said:

Yeah, I saw that thread thing. Best we don't comment on it in this thread  so as not to get any squabbles here.

Yeah, getting caught between rivals gangs or 1% M.C.s is not a good spot to be in. Out here the Angles and the Mongols have had some exchanges with their ongoing war that has had incidents from SF, Reno, and here in SoCal. When it gets to throwing shots on freeways---not good.  But I have to be honest, I know the Angels play for keeps, and I know that when they go after someone they are very brutal. But from my view if you don't mess with them they won't fuck with you.  Dumbest things I've seen people do---especially your weekend warrior motorcycle club types from the suburbs--- are when they start approaching 1%'rs and saying dumb stuff.  Like asking to pose for a photo with them next to their bikes and shit like that.  Want to compliment them on their ride--- sure be cool about it.  But if they are with their people, best to just acknowledge their presence respectfully without gawking at them and then keep your distance. I've experienced the same with the Mexican gangs--- especially the older "veteranos".  Play it cool and you won't have a problem.

Best way to act around gangs is just imagine you are in the prison yard with them and have a clue about "the rules".  You just don't roll up on someone in their turf without it clear what your intentions are. Accidentally bump into some gang member or his girlfriend...say "sorry, my bad".  Any perceived disrespect left unresolved can turn deadly---and fast.

A reason why they call "vida loca" (crazy life)--- it can be crazy.

I remember one time I was at a bar with my girlfriend and there was a local Outlaw MC Gang there, they had their colors on with the bottom rockers and everything, the seats were scarce, I asked the biker nicely, “ Sir May I use this stool or is it taken? He said no take it, I’m not using it, I said thank you, he said no problem, it’s all in the way you act.

Edited by RainbowElf

On 9/15/2020 at 12:15 AM, redrum said:

One of my faves by Elvis.

Cool retro dance steps! See lots of "shuffle dancing" in there reminiscent of M.C. Hammer and the '80s.   Shuffle dancing reminds me a lot of Appalachian  "flatfooting" ...... footwork  way more apt to my people..... well, that or marching LOL.

This gal actually from England---not bad for across the pond.