The Retro Thread

SozoZoso

6 minutes ago, kipper said:

Cool retro dance steps! See lots of "shuffle dancing" in there reminiscent of M.C. Hammer and the '80s.   Shuffle dancing reminds me a lot of Appalachian  "flatfooting" ...... footwork  way more apt to my people..... well, that or marching LOL.

This gal actually from England---not bad for across the pond.

Good stuff. My Mother was born in Appalachia, Virginia (Max Meadows). Don't know if she ever did that or not.

Deliverance GIF | Gfycat

1 minute ago, redrum said:

Good stuff. My Mother was born in Appalachia, Virginia (Max Meadows). Don't know if she ever did that or not.

Deliverance GIF | Gfycat

My grandfather was born in Wheeling West Virginia. Worked in a steel mill starting at age 12 making barrel hoops and fence wire until he moved to the midwest to buy a farm when he was in his 20s.   He could dance like that old Hillbilly in Deliverance.   Best people on Earth.

Who's says white folks can't dance?

I love playing along with this on my Roland kit. It's just that straight ahead, 4 on the motherfuckin' floor rock and fuckin' roll. No fancy fucking sticking with paradiddles and all that shit. I follow the bass with my kick pedal and afterwards it's got me sweatin' a bit. :veryhot:

My grandfather was born in Wheeling West Virginia. Worked in a steel mill starting at age 12 making barrel hoops and fence wire until he moved to the midwest to buy a farm when he was in his 20s.   He could dance like that old Hillbilly in Deliverance.   Best people on Earth.

Max Meadows is 5 hours and just about due south of Wheeling.

On 9/18/2020 at 1:16 AM, redrum said:

Max Meadows is 5 hours and just about due south of Wheeling.

Maybe they crossed paths?  My grandfather was born in 1899 though... so he had moved from West Virginia probably before your mother was born.

I know people from Pittsburgh which is just north across the border in Pennsylvania from Wheeling, and they still call people from Wheeling "Hoopies" because Wheeling was where most of the steel barrel hoops were made back in the day. A long time ago before cardboard boxes, many goods like china, pottery,  plumbing supplies, and even cast iron skillets were packed for shipment in barrels.

spacer.png

14 hours ago, kipper said:

Maybe they crossed paths?  My grandfather was born in 1899 though... so he had moved from West Virginia probably before your mother was born.

I know people from Pittsburgh which is just north across the border in Pennsylvania from Wheeling, and they still call people from Wheeling "Hoopies" because Wheeling was where most of the steel barrel hoops were made back in the day. A long time ago before cardboard boxes, many goods like china, pottery,  plumbing supplies, and even cast iron skillets were packed for shipment in barrels.

spacer.png

Could have. I'd really like to know how he ended up there and got a job in a rock quarry. He said they told him he wouldn't last and he worked there for 4 years. haha. He went to SF to work as a welder after WW2 started. My Mother followed him with 8 kids on a train and they stayed there.

7 hours ago, redrum said:

Could have. I'd really like to know how he ended up there and got a job in a rock quarry. He said they told him he wouldn't last and he worked there for 4 years. haha. He went to SF to work as a welder after WW2 started. My Mother followed him with 8 kids on a train and they stayed there.

Wow, 8 kids!  One more and you have a baseball team.

I never learned to weld very well. In high school metal shop the instructor called me "Slaggy".

13 hours ago, kipper said:

Wow, 8 kids!  One more and you have a baseball team.

I never learned to weld very well. In high school metal shop the instructor called me "Slaggy".

And 13 total with me being the baby.

'Slaggy.' 😄I tried welding in community college and got pretty good. I liked TIG the best. My teacher was Romanian and his welds were works of art.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/11/2020 at 4:42 PM, Strider said:

This retro 1936 vintage tricycle makes me wish I was four years old again. It's beyond cool.

124427228_2277114965745565_8685953304253275224_n.png.dff304c2a85260e5753af1d5f2be5162.png

I don't think that thing is built for a Sasquatch size buddy....   😄

2 minutes ago, redrum said:

Crumb is great. Perverted, but great. 😄

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/56/30/f4/5630f46cd4b249c9377093e481961001.jpg

There was a documentary a few years ago, he came from a very weird family. His brother and mother totally wacked out. I thing the brother talked about all kinds of perverted shit he used to do.

spacer.png

1 minute ago, kipper said:

There was a documentary a few years ago, he came from a very weird family. His brother and mother totally wacked out. I thing the brother talked about all kinds of perverted shit he used to do.

spacer.png

Yes. I saw that a couple times. His 2 brothers were really out there. I used to have the 'first' issue of ZAP comix.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51A0Z9VJJHL.jpghttps://d1466nnw0ex81e.cloudfront.net/n_iv/600/1277295.jpg

2 minutes ago, redrum said:

Yes. I saw that a couple times. His 2 brothers were really out there. I used to have the 'first' issue of ZAP comix.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51A0Z9VJJHL.jpghttps://d1466nnw0ex81e.cloudfront.net/n_iv/600/1277295.jpg

I used to have a few R. Crumb comic books, but when my mother found them she burned them.

I almost bought a R. Crumb statue of one his many different female characters, the school girl one. But where would I put it?

spacer.png