ITTOD - a better running order / track selection?

dpat

With the 30 minute max rule for each side of vinyl, and how "In Through the Out Door" might have been an even better listen (read: more rocking):

SIDE ONE:

1. In the Evening
  2. Wearing and Tearing
  3. Fool in the Rain
  4. Carouselambra

SIDE TWO:

1. South Bound Suarez
  2. I'm Gonna Crawl
  3. Hot Dog
  4. Darlene
  5. Walter's Walk***
  6. All My Love

***Yeah, I know ... but there is some who believe this track might have been had additional tracks (vocals/guitar) laid post-1980 for "Coda," so the band could have included something similar to this version and not use the weak (IMHO) "Ozone Baby."

With the 30 minute max rule for each side of vinyl, and how "In Through the Out Door" might have been an even better listen (read: more rocking):

There's only one change that I would have made to Outdoor, and that is this, as I've stated elsewhere...

Side 1:

In The Evening

South Bound Suarez

Fool In The Rain

Wearing & Tearing

Side 2:

Carouselambra

All My Love

I'm Gonna Crawl

Only using the tracks off ITTOD this is what i burnt to a cd and i think it works. Side 1.In the Evening,Southbound Saurez,Hot Dog,All of My Love.Side 2.Carouslambra,Fool in the Rain,Im Gonna Crawl. This way we have three up tempo rockers starting up,wind down the first side with the ballad,bang off side two with the epic,a bit of light relief with the midtempo FITR,finish with slow but majestic blues. Of course I will always respect the original lp,but I think this way is better balanced.

Seriously though, Bonzo's Montreux would have been a nice addition to the live set, perhaps for the 1980 US Tour. Give Bonzo a fresh solo piece and finally retire Moby Dick/Over the Top.

And how bout this for a segue, Bonzo's Montreux could lead into the 'Purdie Shuffle' and eventually the whole band joins in for 'Fool in the Rain'. :bubble:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN9RV4ja3H4

The problem with Carouselambra is it drags on too much and doesn't seem very Led Zeppelin like.

Those are the very things that I consider to be its strengths,,,,,,,nice and long, and another musical departure to keep fans engaged. Funny how that works differently for different people.

The problem with Carouselambra is it drags on too much and doesn't seem very Led Zeppelin like.

There are lots of songs Led Zeppelin recorded that at first glance don't seem "Led Zeppelin-like"...which of course made Led Zeppelin what they were in the first place: A band that didn't stay still or get bogged down in one genre or another. The very fact that you don't consider "Carouselambra" typical of Led Zeppelin is exactly why I do consider it a prime Led Zeppelin track. It goes against the grain of expectations, which is when Led Zeppelin was at their best.

I wouldn't touch a thing on ITTOD...it is fine exactly as it is.

SIDE ONE:

1. In the Evening
  2. Wearing and Tearing
  3. Fool in the Rain
  4. Carouselambra

SIDE TWO:

1. South Bound Suarez
  2. I'm Gonna Crawl
  3. Hot Dog
  4. Darlene
  5. Walter's Walk***
  6. All My Love

***Yeah, I know ... but there is some who believe this track might have been had additional tracks (vocals/guitar) laid post-1980 for "Coda," so the band could have included something similar to this version and not use the weak (IMHO) "Ozone Baby."

Walters Walk was recorded for the HOTH album and obviously never made it...the overdubs and vocals were recorded just before the release of CODA.

There are lots of songs Led Zeppelin recorded that at first glance don't seem "Led Zeppelin-like"...which of course made Led Zeppelin what they were in the first place: A band that didn't stay still or get bogged down in one genre or another. The very fact that you don't consider "Carouselambra" typical of Led Zeppelin is exactly why I do consider it a prime Led Zeppelin track. It goes against the grain of expectations, which is when Led Zeppelin was at their best.

I wouldn't touch a thing on ITTOD...it is fine exactly as it is.

You said it!

Carouselambra is one of those tracks that you either LOVE or HATE. I happen to LOVE the track. It's a valiant effort and wonderful piece of music. Very ambitious, dark, "new wave" friendly and still rocks with the best of em'. While I think it could have been mixed slightly different, it has a charm about it that just grabs you. Whether you are a musician or not, there's no denying the performance here. Some of Plant's best lyrics and delivery - not to mention Jones. A 10 minute masterpiece

Archived