Were Quadraphonic Mixes Ever Done?

mrledhed

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently a quad mix was done for the original release of TSRTS for use in cinemas that could handle it. multi-channel sound didn't really take off for home use until the 90's with the advent of 5.1. I think Pink Floyd did a quad mix of 'dark side' but the format never took off enough for record companies to want to spend the money to furnish a very exclusive niche market.

I have quadraphonic recordings on vinyl of Dark Side Of The Moon (2 copies), Atom Heart Mother and Wish You Were Here which have hardly ever been played. They were done using the SQ matrix system so the channel separation has some crosstalk. The audio on "Wish You Were Here" is actually different in places. There are some extra instrumental bits. I have others too - Tubular Bells, Santana, don't remember what else. Must have a look in the vaults one of these days. I believe the original quad mix of Dark Side came out as a bonus as part of a Pink Floyd package not so long ago. Not sure about the others. Off-topic I know, being not Zep-related so apologies.

Ok forgive the simplicity of this question but do you need more than four speakers for a quadrophonic set up? Anyone recommend a good quad lp to listen to?

The only one I have is a MFSL of Beck's Sea Change - (well I'm not sure if its a quad mix, its just a MFSL LP on black vinyl). It does sound pretty amazing IMO. Thanks!

You need a four channel amplifier (or two stereo amplifiers) and a four channel turntable with a quad cartridge to listen to a quad-mixed lp. If you have four speakers wired to a stereo system, you're just listening to stereo on four speakers, if you catch my drift.

MFSL (Mobile Fidelity SoundLab) records have nothing to do with quadraphonic sound. They were (are?) a company that produced very high end Vinyl that used the old Decca approach of cutting the master disc at half speed, which apparently increases the available high frequency & transient response on vinyl.

I still have a quad copy of Machine Head by Deep Purple that got played through a quadrophonic system twice back in the 70s.From memory it sounded like the band were playing in the room.For some reason BTO double anthology has two quad versions of tracks off the Not Fragile lp.Through a normal stereo they sound thin or if one speaker is not plugged in properly.ELPsWelcome Back live from 74 featured a quadroponic set up at the actual concert but I don't know if it was recorded or released on disc in that way.I did read of TSRTS being done in quad but it was ditched because it was deemed not a success.

You have to be careful with Quad LPs because there were three different versions that were incompatible with each other. The easiest option is to find a Quad 8-track deck, orbetter yet, a reel-to-reel (though quad reels are extremely rare).

You have to be careful with Quad LPs because there were three different versions that were incompatible with each other. The easiest option is to find a Quad 8-track deck, orbetter yet, a reel-to-reel (though quad reels are extremely rare).

I didn't know there were three different versions.Anyway I dug out Machine Head to give it a spin now that i have a decent turn table.Oh dear,it probably hadn,'t seen the light of day for at least ten years.It was stuck to the inner plastic and warped with the first tracks unplayable.It sounded thin like the BTO tracks I mentioned.Blackmores guitar solo on May by I'm a Leo came out of nowhere.Perhaps Zep were wise to leave this alone,it seems a little like VHS and Beta.

Archived