Tampa '77 new recording

Nutrocker

A new, previously uncirculated recording for the infamous rained out June 3 1977 Tampa show has surfaced. This would be the fourth source for this particular performance, which was aborted after "Nobody's Fault But Mine" and a riot ensued. Zeppelin's management neglected to notice the "rain or shine" clause on the tickets...oops.

It's not a great recording, but it does give you a sense of the event this gig was, the first outdoor stadium show of the 1977 tour in front of a massive crowd.

If you want to hear it, shoot me a PM.

A new, previously uncirculated recording for the infamous rained out June 3 1977 Tampa show has surfaced. This would be the fourth source for this particular performance, which was aborted after "Nobody's Fault But Mine" and a riot ensued. Zeppelin's management neglected to notice the "rain or shine" clause on the tickets...oops.

It's not a great recording, but it does give you a sense of the event this gig was, the first outdoor stadium show of the 1977 tour in front of a massive crowd.

If you want to hear it, shoot me a PM.

Can you elaborate on what's new about this version? I've have 5 sources for this show in my comp since 2012.

Per Jonson is credited with sharing (not taping) the 4th source with a member of Dimeadozen and he posted it there quite a long time ago.

Can you elaborate on what's new about this version? I've have 5 sources for this show in my comp since 2012.

Per Jonson is credited with sharing (not taping) the 4th source with a member of Dimeadozen and he posted it there quite a long time ago.

From the Hotel, courtesy of member "kszmalenberg", posted on 5 January 2015:

"I found these files:

Here`s the info:

Led Zeppelin

Stadium

Tampa,FL

June 3,1977

(TIME 19:01)

Master 8-Track->1stgen->Onkyo deck->Harman/Kardon Amp->Sony RCD-W500C->Easy CD-DA Extractor Pro->WAV->TLH->Flac 8

TAPER: Byron

RECORDER: 8-Track tape recorder

MIC: built-in

TRANSFER: Floridian June/'10

uncirculated Fourth Recording to surface from this rained-out mess.

01. Intro->Song Remains Same.

02. Sick Again.

03. Nobody's Fault But Mine."

Weird, I have the same text file in the folder listed as the 5th source. Even though it clearly says 4th source in the text file. haven't compared them yet but, I wonder if they are the same and one is just a cdr rip of the actual master.

either way not that new since its been in my comp and available online for well over 2 years.

Here is the other text file for what I have listed as 4th source unknown gen.
Led Zeppelin - "Tampa Stadium, 4th Tape Source, Unknown Gen > CD-R"
June, 3rd, 1977, Tampa, Florida, Tampa Stadium
Audience Recording
Lineage: Unknown Gen > CD-R (2) > Flac > DVD-R > HD > TLH, Decode > WAV > Goldwave (WAV Files Joined Together To Split Into Individual Tracks) > WAV > Flac (Level.8, Align On SBE's, All Tracks Tested With TLH, No Errors Occured)
Label: N/A
Original Taper: N/A
Contrast Clause:
- This particular version has different lineage than the version posted below:
- This particular release is the 4th audience recording tape source of the bands performance, and an interview with Jimmy Page, it is a different tape source than the version(s) posted below, the version posted below consists of tape sources 1, 2, and 3, and news report audio that discusses the cancellation of the concert, it doesn't have the interview with Jimmy Page:
- This particular release has a different title than the version posted below:
- This particular release is from a different label than the version posted below:
Cheers and many thanks go out to the taper for taping and sharing their recording, and to my mate Per Jonson for sharing this with me.
1) Introduction
2) The Song Remains The Same
3) Sick Again
4) Nobodys Fault But Mine (Has A Few Drop Outs)
5) A partital interview With Jimmy Page about the Concert Cancellation
Enjoy!
Please Do Not Convert To Lossy Formats
Please Do Not Sell
Please Share With Others
Notes:
The show was sent to me on a DVD-R, and presented as 2 Flac files, track 1 consisting of the entire performance, and track 2 consisting of a brief/partial interview with Jimmy Page about the concert being cancelled because of the rain.
I haven't done any remastering or EQ'ing to this recording, all I've done is decode the Flac files to WAV's, tested them for lossiness, joined the WAV files together so they can be split into individual tracks, and then encoded to Flac format.
This tape source is pretty much like the other three tape sources in circulation, it's sound quality is quite good for an outdoor stadium gig, and sounds like it was taped fairly close to the stage, which makes it a shame that the show was rained out, this show might've turned out to be a very good performance from the tour.
This version does however have alot of loud audience chatter, it's tape speed is off (running a little fast), it has quite a few drop outs, and it's volume is a little hot.
Hope everyone here will enjoy this.
Cheers

Have heard the show all versions are similar soundwise, it is obvious that the band was firing on all cylinders ,this could have been possibly the best performance of the entire tour....only if the show would have come to fruition. The final leg had a stadium show for Aug. 03 at the JFK stadium in also cancelled (and you know why) I always believed the zep would pick the best of these shows and do the live album. All we ever got was earls court and the TSRTS soundtrack.... So sad,for such gifted musicians, they had no luck.

Weird, I have the same text file in the folder listed as the 5th source. Even though it clearly says 4th source in the text file. haven't compared them yet but, I wonder if they are the same and one is just a cdr rip of the actual master.

either way not that new since its been in my comp and available online for well over 2 years. <snip>

Interesting. I wonder why that Malenberg guy over at the Hotel seems to be presenting this as a new, previously uncirculated source. Not that it's a big deal- the sound quality ain't all that great IMO. I want to say I've heard all the other sources and one of them (can't remember which; possibly the one you refer to in yer post) is way better sounding than all the others, the "Bring On The Blimp!" recording.

Have heard the show all versions are similar soundwise, it is obvious that the band was firing on all cylinders ,this could have been possibly the best performance of the entire tour....only if the show would have come to fruition. The final leg had a stadium show for Aug. 03 at the JFK stadium in also cancelled (and you know why) I always believed the zep would pick the best of these shows and do the live album. All we ever got was earls court and the TSRTS soundtrack.... So sad,for such gifted musicians, they had no luck.

As I just said, one of the four (or five) Tampa recordings is way better than the rest; recorded cloase to the stage and doesn't sound like a great big 70000 person party with Zeppelin playing in the background.

Page has said that they were planning on filming/recording some of those big stadium shows in the aborted third leg of the tour though IMO they should have at least multitracked the whole damn tour. As nice as the few '77 soundboards are (even if only one of two of the soundboard gigs are really up to snuff performance wise) could you imagine having, say, a multitrack version of the April 28 Cleveland show, or the LA or New York gigs?

.... Some Beatles gigs in 65/66 have same durations !!!!!

I've mentioned that before: yer average "Beatlemania" era Beatles concert being roughly the same length as a 1977 version of "No Quarter" (Mind ya, if the Beatles played three hour concerts they could cram in quite a lotta tunes in that space of time!)

It's interesting to hear an outdoor Zepp performance from 77 because when listening to Sick Again, it almost sounds like a really muffled soundboard. Because there is no ceiling or walls for the sound to bounce off of, it sounds dryer like a soundboard from 77 does. Just an interesting point I noticed.

It's amusing during the NFBM solo to hear the people complaining about the oncoming rain, "fuck, this is the worst," "follow me!" "the sucks."

Plant, "So bear with us alright"

Person in crowd "NO!"

"We're gonna give it a 15 minute break, are you cool?"

"NO FUCK YOU!"

:hysterical:

Why is it, every time I see this thread headline in the Led Zep Live section of this Forum (headline being: Tampa '77 new recording), that my eyes want to tell me that the two A's in the word Tampa, are replaced with 2 E's instead? Yes, I know, wishful thinking! :smiley_pray:

Nutrocker, your eyes saying this thing to you as well?

Mine were too.

Also, in response to Icondo123, yes the tape is dry from being recorded outdoors. This is usually the case. Just listen to most of the audience tapes from Queen's Magic Tour (Wembley and Knebworth especially), then go listen to either the shows from Vienna, which was indoors. A world of difference.

Why is it, every time I see this thread headline in the Led Zep Live section of this Forum (headline being: Tampa '77 new recording), that my eyes want to tell me that the two A's in the word Tampa, are replaced with 2 E's instead? Yes, I know, wishful thinking! :smiley_pray:

Nutrocker, your eyes saying this thing to you as well?

What, a new Tempe '77 recording? Yeah, I'd be down with that...especially if it had the first seven songs on it! I wonder if the guy who made the Tempe recording that we do have arrived late or if his tape with the first seven songs was lost to the sands of time?

Mine were too.

Also, in response to Icondo123, yes the tape is dry from being recorded outdoors. This is usually the case. Just listen to most of the audience tapes from Queen's Magic Tour (Wembley and Knebworth especially), then go listen to either the shows from Vienna, which was indoors. A world of difference.

You notice that "dry" sound on a couple of the Oakland '77 sources as well, particularly the "Fighting Finish" 24-7-77 recording. I've seen that one passed off as a soundboard in the past...

• 2 weeks later...

Merci beaucoup Sue!!!

What a fascinating and historic document of one of the great "What ifs?" of Led Zeppelin's career.

For IF the weather in Tampa had cooperated that night in June 1977, it is clear that it would have been one of the great nights of the tour. If not LA Forum-level, then definitely up there with April 20 Pontiac, April 28 Cleveland, May 22 Ft. Worth, and June 14 MSG. Speaking performance-wise, naturally, not sound quality of the tape.

Still, even though it's only three songs, Tampa '77 is still instructive for once again affirming what a great opening salvo those first few songs on the 1977 tour were. I've always said TSRTS was my second-favourite opener after "Immigrant Song", and "Sick Again" sounded much more savage on the SG double-neck and it was easier to get into its groove than in 1975. NFBM of course was an absolute monster, and OTHAFA (or IMTOD) ended the first half hour of the night with sizzling spaciness before the band slowed things down with SIBLY.

The missed opportunity to have another great version of No Quarter, Kashmir, Ten Years Gone, and Trampled Under Foot is immensely sad. If only people had kept their cool, another make-up show could have been scheduled.

Which is the very nature of "What if?".

What I'm curious about -this just occurred to me the other night- is, considering it was an outdoor stadium venue, why there wasn't a video screen like they had in Pontiac and Seattle (mind ya, there weren't video screens in Oakland either...) Just imagine the possibilities of, three songs or not, a Tampa 'pro shot' video!

What I'm curious about -this just occurred to me the other night- is, considering it was an outdoor stadium venue, why there wasn't a video screen like they had in Pontiac and Seattle (mind ya, there weren't video screens in Oakland either...) Just imagine the possibilities of, three songs or not, a Tampa 'pro shot' video!

In a way, you've answered your own question. Pontiac and Seattle were NOT outdoor stadium gigs. Whether it was due to the limitations of the video technology at the time or something else, it seems the video screens were only used at the dome indoor stadiums Pontiac, Seattle, and I'm assuming New Orleans would have had the video screen as well.

Since Tampa and Oakland had no video, I guess Rich Stadium and JFK would not have had videos either.

Yeah, with the heat and humidity Tampa has, it seems like an electrician's nightmare to have a large video screen hooked up at the Old Sombrero. I attended a number of shows in the 80's there. I don't recall video screens at any of them.

• 5 months later...

Offhand I remember one... In the summer of 1976 I was at the Jethro Tull concert in Tampa Stadium and there was a large screen they called "TullAvision". As I remember the camera mostly keyed on Ian Anderson as he galloped all over the stage.

Offhand I remember one... In the summer of 1976 I was at the Jethro Tull concert in Tampa Stadium and there was a large screen they called "TullAvision". As I remember the camera mostly keyed on Ian Anderson as he galloped all over the stage.

Now that you mention it, I believe U2 had one - but that was '87. Ian Anderson was one of the best performers ever, IMO.

Archived