Led Zeppelin Target Audience?

Kyle Bird

Hi there!

I think there's a handful of threads asking this question, maybe not the exact same wording but wanting to
tally the who and what of the LZ listener. You may want to poke around in the polls and/or newbie section :)

In my opinion you're probably not going to get a realistic measure on this board though. A large portion of female
members seem to have depleted on here :( And I don't think from lack of interest
<_<because on twitter I see
vast number of Led Zeppelin, Jimmy, Robert etc. tweets tagged by female account holders.

I'm 39 and my husband is 33, so yes 16-60+ most definitely is todays Led Zeppelin fan. I remember watching a clip
on YouTube of  Jimmy in Toronto, ON, Canada promoting the re-masters and his book. There were all ages in the
crowd, but I liked the fact they decided to speak to 2 girls probably I'd say 15-17. They could have been just fans of
Jimmy, but then again how the hell can you be a fan of Jimmy Page and not be fan of Led Zeppelin?!? Haha

I am old now

If someones 16 they probably play led zep loud, at 11 loud. If they are 60 they play led zep at probably like 5/6 volume level, unless they are hard of hearing, then theyd be at volume 11 again and in a way reliving their youth. It is loud music that should be played loud to be appreciated properly. 

I think that Led Zeppelin (since defunct 1980) does not have a target audience in mind.  There is no need, anymore. 

The Music of Led Zeppelin will always have an audience and fanbase for decades and centuries to come.  Their Music is suitable for anyone that enjoys Music that will definitely stand the test of time. 

I will be 45 years old in November and have been a fan of Led Zeppelin since I was 13 years old.  That  makes Me a Led Zeppelin fan for 32 years. 

I will say this:  Led Zeppelin's Music will be celebrated and remembered and rejoiced for decades.  Long after the living members are long gone and all of us who Love Their Music are gone as well. 

Led Zeppelin will be one day remembered for the Music that They created, just as Bach, Beethoven, and Wagner, etc... are still remembered and listened to, to this day. 

Long Live the "Mighty Led Zeppelin"... 

I dont think Zep had a target audience, they found their own. No politics, no big image to sell, limited publicity in the early days, no media hype, no TV appearances to speak of unlike their conteporaries who were all over the news.

They found their audience with their music and that audience came from word of mouth, from the power of their shows and mainly of course from the music itself.

Back in 1969 when i first heard them aged 12 I had only heard of Jimmy Page but only because id heard the Yardbirds.

But as the press output grew, the power, sexuality of the band and the range of music sold it to the world. No other band mixed their influences the way Zep did, so they could attract blues lovers, folk lovers, world music lovers, heavy rock lovers. Men and women all over the world generation after generation.

So no target audience I believe,  le4s face it back at the start the audience would have been mainly male and young. That definitely changed and go to  plant show now and the women a4e still lusting after him and audiences are a wide range of ages. 

But its about the music, so many clasic songs light and shade, soft, heavy.

And there are many of us still around still watching, listening and buying it.

Actually when Page was in the Yardbirds at the end he did conclude that American audiences in particular

were still hungry for jamming/light and shade hard rock bands. As opposed to the bands that live basically

play close to the studio versions. Peter Grant saw this too. However this was not the same at all as the

marketing/promotion nonsense that occurred with top 40 bands. Needless to say the quality of the music

was concern no.1. The 16-60 age bracket fits well, although in Zep's existence there were many pre-teens

as well.

My impression is that the age of Led Zeppelin's primary fan changed during the band's twelve year run. During their first couple of years, most of their American fans were college students or other people in the 18-22 age range.  By the mid-1970's high school age kids made up their primary American fan base.  Of course, I could be wrong about this.  

My impression is that the age of Led Zeppelin's primary fan changed during the band's twelve year run. During their first couple of years, most of their American fans were college students or other people in the 18-22 age range.  By the mid-1970's high school age kids made up their primary American fan base.  Of course, I could be wrong about this.  

Great thread. Nowadays with all the led zeppelin onesys and all one must think as long as we have ears we can dance and enjoy tunage.

:P

Right, as things went along in the 70's, it at least seemed like the crowd got younger. Also,

kind of unique for Zep's hard rock, a lot of girls were into the band(at least where I lived).

After Zep's end, and the release of the original box sets, IMO Zep started getting fans

much more from varying ages.

I just heard a thing on the radio this week, where they were talking about a popular movement with novelists in the 70s, they called it, fantabulism...material involving folklore, fairytales and all that. I honestly was unaware of that and wonder if led zeppelin was aware of it or actively involved in it as an artistic movement. In regards to target audiences and marketing...i guess the whole energy and vibe of the youth movement of that time...which reverberates to this day, was some sort of a target market, without marketing in mind. 

With reading about how page and plant were interested in william blake art and how to implement that into a rock band, its up to to the listener to think about how it was...in the music. But i think a great example of it musically, is the instrumental, la la. 

Yeah, I think part of Zep's influences lyrically and musically may well come from unexpected sources.

The William Blake thing and also in Plant's words ancient Welsh and Scottish battles. Plant also takes

from some S.F. psychedelia, although only large doses in his solo career. And Jimmy runs the gamut---

many of his riffs sound like architectural structures which build in layers to a completed "compound",

while live Jimmy often solos in "impressionistic" mode, where many notes morph into others, or rarely

are many notes played in a even timing.

Hi Kyle Bird,

I really don't think you can put the fan base of Led Zeppelin into a true certain age bracket. It is the kind of music that will always be around because it is that great! I first heard Led Zeppelin in 1969. I was nine years old. I had no idea what they looked like until I finally got the first album a few months later. All I knew was what I heard (for me the first song was I Can't Quit You Baby) I literally jumped up  and asked my Dad to ask what they were playing. ( Long story but I was sitting outside a bar in the French Quarter while my Dad was having a few drinks and the bar he was in, they were playing it).

I just turned 55 and they are still my band. I also follow anything they do solo. I was listening to the New Orleans 1973 and Baton Rouge 1975 bootlegs yesterday morning and thinking about that time in my life. I was only 12 year old the first time I saw them on a stage. Live,they took you on a journey and it was one that you did not want to end. I guess I am still on that journey with them and have loved every bit of it!!      

Hi ledded!, I loved your post:-) 

Hi middlezep, I listen to them loud ...STILL:-) !!!  

• 2 weeks later...

I would guess that most people got into Zeppelin when they were teenagers. As the teenagers grow up, many of them still like the music and play it. Over time, more teenagers discover the music probably from school mates and older friends, this continues etc. etc.

What I mean is, I doubt many people in their 20-30's now, suddenly discover Zeppelin and take them to heart. They liked them when they were young and grew up listening to the music. Obviously there will be exceptions, but I would hazard a guess that most first picked up the music in their teen years.

Personally, I was about 12 when my older brother brought Zeppelin albums home and I enjoyed the music. I am 56 now and still listening. I also have all Roberts albums and have seen him a couple of times in the last few years.

I think that Led Zeppelin (since defunct 1980) does not have a target audience in mind.  There is no need, anymore. 

The Music of Led Zeppelin will always have an audience and fanbase for decades and centuries to come.  Their Music is suitable for anyone that enjoys Music that will definitely stand the test of time. 

I will be 45 years old in November and have been a fan of Led Zeppelin since I was 13 years old.  That  makes Me a Led Zeppelin fan for 32 years. 

I will say this:  Led Zeppelin's Music will be celebrated and remembered and rejoiced for decades.  Long after the living members are long gone and all of us who Love Their Music are gone as well. 

Led Zeppelin will be one day remembered for the Music that They created, just as Bach, Beethoven, and Wagner, etc... are still remembered and listened to, to this day. 

Amen. :P

• 1 month later...

I'm 14 and I believe that there should be no target audience for music. It's music, not manipulation. Whoever enjoys the music enjoys it and whoever doesn't doesn't. But I believe the most people who listen to it are probably around 15 - 55 about but there are lots of exceptions.

I'd send you the maddest high five in the mail if I could just figure out how to....

Well said!

• 4 years later...

Hi guys,

I am 12 and I love Led Zeppelin and other rock music. I think that Led Zeppelin was and is still is so famous that it no longer has a target audience. The people who listen to then listen to them because they choose to do so. As victoriapage said, it's music, not manipulation. I listen to them and play them on drums a lot, and i think anyone who enjoys rock music enjoys Led Zeppelin too.

Archived