AC/DC with Axl Rose

diverman

4 hours ago, Badgeholder Still said:

Maybe. Regardless of the circumstances surrounding Johnson's departure, I'm sure it wasn't easy for AY to replace a longtime frontman and another bandmate in the name of carrying on.

"Broke another promise
And I broke another heart
But I ain't too young to realize
That I ain't too old to try
Try to get back to the start
And it's another redlight nightmare
Another redlight street
And I ain't too old to hurry
Cause I ain't too old to die
But I sure am hard to beat..."

Well, it sounded pretty unceremonious and frankly ruthless to me.  Kind of like, "here's your cheap retirement watch after 35 years of service on job, hope you saved your paychecks because there's no disability payments."  Which is consistent with the idea of AC/DC as a corporation.  Sure, that's a bit of hyperbole (it's not Angus' job to take care of Brian, who I am sure is financially set anyway), but the point is, Angus is the CEO and runs the band this way.  It's no accident he picked someone like Axl, who will generate interest and attention that will offset the alienation from long-term fans. 

11 minutes ago, JohnOsbourne said:

Well, it sounded pretty unceremonious and frankly ruthless to me.  Kind of like, "here's your cheap retirement watch after 35 years of service on job, hope you saved your paychecks because there's no disability payments."  Which is consistent with the idea of AC/DC as a corporation.  Sure, that's a bit of hyperbole (it's not Angus' job to take care of Brian, who I am sure is financially set anyway), but the point is, Angus is the CEO and runs the band this way.  It's no accident he picked someone like Axl, who will generate interest and attention that will offset the alienation from long-term fans. 

Well, it's fair to say Malcom 's condition has left Angus to make decisions he never wanted to make without his brother.

The number of available pro vocalists who can do justice to AC/DC songs is likely pretty small. His choices are pretty limited. Axl will fit the songs as well as anybody available.

On 22-4-2016 at 4:12 AM, Badgeholder Still said:

Well, it's fair to say Malcom 's condition has left Angus to make decisions he never wanted to make without his brother.

The number of available pro vocalists who can do justice to AC/DC songs is likely pretty small. His choices are pretty limited. Axl will fit the songs as well as anybody available.

There are thousands of tribute bands who have singers  deliver a better vocal/physical performance to choose from (just a matter of using google)...even Journey, The Doors and Yes pulled that trick, so why not the mighty AC/DC ?

(And if the tribute singers won't fit....remember Dickinson, Coverdale, Dio.....lol, even Brian Johnson...there is more than enough undiscovered talent somewhere to be found in "obscure acts the world did never hear about")

1 hour ago, reswati said:

There are thousands of tribute bands who have singers  deliver a better vocal/physical performance to choose from (just a matter of using google)...even Journey, The Doors and Yes pulled that trick, so why not the mighty AC/DC ?

(And if the tribute singers won't fit....remember Dickinson, Coverdale, Dio.....lol, even Brian Johnson...there is more than enough undiscovered talent somewhere to be found in "obscure acts the world did never hear about")

Thousands? Wow. Your definition of qualified talent might be somewhat more generous than mine. Dickinson, Coverdale and Dio were all available in an era that doesn't exist anymore. Are you familiar with the saga that was Velvet Revolver's search for a singer? I don't think Angus wants to play Star Search or "Who's the next...". He just wants to grab someone who's willing and able and rock while he still can. 

Ultimately, bringing in a known talent who will do his own thing will be more interesting than a tribute singer who is putting on an act. How is faking it better than the real thing? 

It was interesting, the "Whole Lotta Rosie" clip.  I am just not sure Axl can sing for anyone anymore...Good clip though, for a man in his 60's, Angus still has the moves.

As for Brian being cut, well he's got tons of money, honestly.  Not sure he's really crying in his soup.

15 hours ago, Badgeholder Still said:

Thousands? Wow. Your definition of qualified talent might be somewhat more generous than mine. Dickinson, Coverdale and Dio were all available in an era that doesn't exist anymore. Are you familiar with the saga that was Velvet Revolver's search for a singer? I don't think Angus wants to play Star Search or "Who's the next...". He just wants to grab someone who's willing and able and rock while he still can. 

Ultimately, bringing in a known talent who will do his own thing will be more interesting than a tribute singer who is putting on an act. How is faking it better than the real thing? 

I'm aware the seventies are over, but also aware that by virtual highway it's easier to discover new talents than in the seventies (being generous of what qualified talent is...............I set the bar quite high, a singer has to be able to sing, entertain, and to deliver a message with believeable passion, else it's sub-par imo) Don't know if you ever visit some underground festivals, there's a whole new retro inspired scene going on with indeed great talent.

My guess is that Angus tries to play it safe this way (and then quit after this tour).

17 hours ago, Badgeholder Still said:

I don't see a tribute band singer (if they are legit) as "putting on an act", or "faking it".

Tim Ripper Owens is the most obvious example.
I have personally seen Journey and Alice In Chains with their respective replacement singers, and they were both excellent.
If anything, a Tribute Band singer is oftentimes younger and in much better shape physically.
There's no way Steve Perry could have hit those notes as strong as he did 30-40 years ago, whereas the 18 year-younger Filipino Arnel Pineda can still nail it.
So for my Journey concert experience, I got a performance that sounded closer to the band I knew and remembered than if it had actually been Steve Perry.

32 minutes ago, TypeO said:

I don't see a tribute band singer (if they are legit) as "putting on an act", or "faking it".

I have personally seen Journey and Alice In Chains with their respective replacement singers, and they were both excellent.
If anything, a Tribute Band singer is oftentimes younger and in much better shape physically.
There's no way Steve Perry could have hit those notes as strong as he did 30-40 years ago, whereas the 18 year-younger Filipino Arnel Pineda can still nail it.
So for my Journey concert experience, I got a performance that sounded closer to the band I knew and remembered than if it had actually been Steve Perry.

Exactly my thoughts on the subject.

I don't recall Brian Johnson being "cut" by Angus.  He was told by doctors he'd be irreversibly deaf if he continued and called it quits.  They decided to continue for their fans and whatever other reason (if any) they deemed acceptable - which they have earned the right to do.

25 minutes ago, TypeO said:

Legit or not, a tribute band is an act. They're recreating something which already happened. They're posing as people they aren't.  There is also a big difference between a tribute band and an established band using a fill in sound alike, which is something of a gimmick. The talent isn't necessarily in question. But Priest being fronted by a Halford sound alike is different than Maiden moving forward with Dickinson who sounded nothing like DiAnno. It 's gimmicky.  Every band has it's own reasons for making the changes they need to to carry on. If fans still enjoy the music, that's what matters. Personally, i'm less interested in gimmicks.

Bon had a gruff voice. Brian and Axl have gruff voices but i don't think they're being used to recreate Bon. I think gruff vocals fit AC/DC and their music and these guys were willing, able and available so they ended up with the gig. I'm Axl's biggest critic and i think he's up for it. Time will tell.

5 hours ago, reswati said:

I'm aware the seventies are over, but also aware that by virtual highway it's easier to discover new talents than in the seventies (being generous of what qualified talent is...............I set the bar quite high, a singer has to be able to sing, entertain, and to deliver a message with believeable passion, else it's sub-par imo) Don't know if you ever visit some underground festivals, there's a whole new retro inspired scene going on with indeed great talent.

My guess is that Angus tries to play it safe this way (and then quit after this tour).

I have no doubt there is talent out there. And I'm ready.  I am anxiously awaiting the next wunderkind talent who can bring it like Elvis '56, Beatles '64, Jimi '68, Zep '72, GNR '87, Nirvana '91. Bring it on! Change my world! Change the World. A true game changer can't stay hidden in the underground forever and won't.

But in the meantime, Wolfmother and The Tea Party aren't gonna cut it. I'd rather see and hear Angus and Axl carry the torch. The real thing, however worn and ragged,  is for me,  still better than an inspired imitation.

11 hours ago, Badgeholder Still said:

I have no doubt there is talent out there. And I'm ready.  I am anxiously awaiting the next wunderkind talent who can bring it like Elvis '56, Beatles '64, Jimi '68, Zep '72, GNR '87, Nirvana '91. Bring it on! Change my world! Change the World. A true game changer can't stay hidden in the underground forever and won't.

But in the meantime, Wolfmother and The Tea Party aren't gonna cut it. I'd rather see and hear Angus and Axl carry the torch. The real thing, however worn and ragged,  is for me,  still better than an inspired imitation.

I'm also still waiting for Black Sabbath to reunite with Ian Gillan, instead of listening to Orchid records, lol. (And in the meantime I can marvel to milestones in rock history like The Spaghetti Incident, Chinese Democracy, Stiff Upper Lip and Volts in combined form now).

Changing the world: Adding the sensational ad-lib "ay ay ay ayayayeah" to a cover of a Dylan song that has been covered to death already, lol.

Archived