AC/DC with Axl Rose

diverman

8 minutes ago, Balthazor said:

You know how the old slogan for Reese's Peanut Butter Cups says they're "two great tastes that taste great together"? For me, Axl Rose with AC/DC is like the exact opposite of that.

+ 1 Ditto.

I predict this thread will be moved to the Other Bands/Music section within the hour. ;)

10 minutes ago, Strider said:

Bill Ward and Geezer Butler should join Roger Daltry and Pete Townshend and form The Black Who.

That's cool, then Ozzy can join Yes, and Jon Anderson could team up with Motörhead........let's go beyond boundaries and give the fans the music they always wanted (or not).

6 hours ago, diverman said:

What do you think about Axl Rose performing with AC/DC ?

I try not to, Axl cannot sing for shit live, never could. Saw GnR twice and both times his voice was shot by song #3. If anyone thought Brian Johnson's horrible falsetto post 1987 was bad, you ain't seen nothing yet. Then again I always felt AC/DC should have called it quits after Back in Black.

3 hours ago, The Rover 75 said:

At least I got to see AC/DC a long time ago with Bon Scott, really the only AC/DC I know.

I agree there, with Scott the albums had some diversity which stopped after Back in Black. Brian Johnson is one hell of a nice guy, but he pretty much lost his higher register after For Those About to Rock... and went full falsetto after that, plus he is about as creative as a blank piece of paper. Just my opinion but again, AC/DC was Bon Scott and everything written after his death is just a lame shadow of Back in Black. Now putting Axl in there just takes Angus's lack of judgement to a whole new level.

26 minutes ago, IpMan said:

I agree there, with Scott the albums had some diversity which stopped after Back in Black. Brian Johnson is one hell of a nice guy, but he pretty much lost his higher register after For Those About to Rock... and went full falsetto after that, plus he is about as creative as a blank piece of paper. Just my opinion but again, AC/DC was Bon Scott and everything written after his death is just a lame shadow of Back in Black. Now putting Axl in there just takes Angus's lack of judgement to a whole new level.

Brian Johnson has not written a single lyric to a single AC/DC song since 1988's Blow Up Your Video album

I guess there are two kinds of groups.  One that feels there's a unique chemistry with the
original members and once one OR two members at most depart the band - something dies
within the group.  The other are bands where it's a revolving door and everybody  under the
sun at one time or another gets to be a member.  There are a few exceptions - The Stones,
but for the most point I think it waters down a bands legacy doing what AC DC is doing.

It's obvious Angus still wants to tour and blah blah blah blah, but it's not even AC DC that's
touring.  Well at least not with the changes and number of people who have came and went
after all this time.  It's a weak version of what AC DC was years ago.   Somewhere there will
be a dumb kid listening to the album Highway To Hell  or Back In Black  and thinking
"Gee this
Axl guy is a great vocalist on these two records 
"   :blink:  Unaware it's Bon and Brian.

Is this the music industries version of TVs  "Jumping The Shark"  ?? Maybe Axl should go put
Fonzie's leather jacket on

7 hours ago, Charles J. White said:

Brian Johnson has not written a single lyric to a single AC/DC song since 1988's Blow Up Your Video album

Which is about the time I gave up on AC/DC and stopped buying their records and seeing their concerts.

8 hours ago, Charles J. White said:

That's right, it's around the time when sole song-writing credits went to the Young brothers, and not coincidentally, the quality of the music declined noticeably (e.g. Razor's Edge was crap, I stopped listening after that, previous stuff [Bon or Brian] is still great though).

I'm not anti-Axl as such, he's clearly a difficult person but Appetite for Destruction is a classic album.  However, his voice is just not right for AC/DC.  I'm not really sure what Angus is thinking here, he can't possibly need the money at this stage so why milk it, with a polarizing figure to boot?

The video I saw actually sounded pretty cool, and trust me when I say I am NOT an Axl fan, at all.

I thought he did a pretty legit job, staying fairly faithful to the original without going overboard.
I got no complaints with it.
Great song and he seemed like a genuine fan.

Credit where credit's due, and whatnot.

It's just comical the acceptance of certain acts (yes, NWA & Madonna) as honored RnR artists alongside the serious ill will towards Angus and Axl wanting to go out and play some music. Probably won't be my dream lineup, but i'll actually save my judgement until I hear 'em. Really isn't any crazier than Coverdale fronting Purple, Gillan fronting Sabbath, Bonnet fronting Rainbow, Rodgers fronting Queen, David Lee Roth's recent vocal stylings... Just another chapter in RnR. 

After what Angus has been through with Bon, Malcom, Rudd and Johnson, I have no problem supporting him if he wants to go out and play his guitar. He's a legend. He deserves some respect. I'd rather support this than GnR 2016 who finally decided to cash in after making fans wait 20+ years due to petty infighting. As far as i'm concerned, if they wanted to salvage their legacy, they should have gone down in a plane crash in 1993.

1 hour ago, Badgeholder Still said:

It's just comical the acceptance of certain acts (yes, NWA & Madonna) as honored RnR artists alongside the serious ill will towards Angus and Axl wanting to go out and play some music. Probably won't be my dream lineup, but i'll actually save my judgement until I hear 'em. Really isn't any crazier than Coverdale fronting Purple, Gillan fronting Sabbath, Bonnet fronting Rainbow, Rodgers fronting Queen, David Lee Roth's recent vocal stylings... Just another chapter in RnR. 

After what Angus has been through with Bon, Malcom, Rudd and Johnson, I have no problem supporting him if he wants to go out and play his guitar. He's a legend. He deserves some respect. I'd rather support this than GnR 2016 who finally decided to cash in after making fans wait 20+ years due to petty infighting. As far as i'm concerned, if they wanted to salvage their legacy, they should have gone down in a plane crash in 1993.

I shouldn't laugh at the plane crash comment, but I can't help myself, nice one.

But, what exactly did Angus "go through" with Brian?  Johnson seems to have been very disrespectfully dumped from an iconic band he's fronted for 35 years, and he's facing loss of hearing!  (Yeah, I know his voice has been shot for a long time, that's a different issue.)  This situation could have been handled a lot better by Angus. 

22 hours ago, IpMan said:

Well said, other than a handful of tracks, I didn't care for anything from BIB on. The concert dvd's are worse, nothing against Brian, but he blew his voice out a long time ago. It's a shame that Angus feels the need to go on, just seems greedy, I guess there's no such thing  as a tarnished legacy anymore.

They are finishing the remaining dates of their tour.  I think that is very cool of them and of Axl to do this.  It's not like they are starting a new tour with Rose and it's not like he doesn't already have a high profile summer tour lined up.  If people don't want it, they can sell their tickets on stubhub or get a refund.  Demand will be high for the 10 remaining US tour dates.   

On 4/20/2016 at 8:32 PM, JohnOsbourne said:

I shouldn't laugh at the plane crash comment, but I can't help myself, nice one.

But, what exactly did Angus "go through" with Brian?  Johnson seems to have been very disrespectfully dumped from an iconic band he's fronted for 35 years, and he's facing loss of hearing!  (Yeah, I know his voice has been shot for a long time, that's a different issue.)  This situation could have been handled a lot better by Angus. 

Maybe. Regardless of the circumstances surrounding Johnson's departure, I'm sure it wasn't easy for AY to replace a longtime frontman and another bandmate in the name of carrying on.

"Broke another promise
And I broke another heart
But I ain't too young to realize
That I ain't too old to try
Try to get back to the start
And it's another redlight nightmare
Another redlight street
And I ain't too old to hurry
Cause I ain't too old to die
But I sure am hard to beat..."

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 9:55 AM, The Rover 75 said:

Well said, other than a handful of tracks, I didn't care for anything from BIB on. The concert dvd's are worse, nothing against Brian, but he blew his voice out a long time ago. It's a shame that Angus feels the need to go on, just seems greedy, I guess there's no such thing  as a tarnished legacy anymore.

Flick of the Switch and Blow Up Your Video are very strong, IMO.  Razor's Edge is where it started to become commercialized auto-pilot, AC/DC Inc..

Archived