Purple/Rainbow/Blackmore etc

leddy

Can any of you recommend me where to start with tommy bolin? expect for spectrum and james gang!

Well, I purchased the debut album by Zephyr a few weeks back, that's pretty good.

Have you looked on youtube? There is loads of Tommy Bolin material on there: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tommy+bolin

This was the first Rock Festival I went to and boy was it wet. It was the middle of summer but it felt like the middle of autumn. I remember being cold, tired and bored by most of the bands on the bill(apart from Blackfoot, with their American southern boogie). Meat Loaf fell on his arse as he had a plaster cast on (bl**dy awfull set). When Deep Purple came on it made the wait worthwhile. The classic MK2 line up had reformed the year before, and here they were back in their homeland playing live classics like "Highway Star", "Black Knight" and soon to be classic "Perfect Strangers". Ritchie Blackmore came on and played in his wellington boots. This was the first of many purple gigs that I was to go to, but this was the best. For two hours you really did forget about the rain.

After the gig they forgot to put any lighting for the mugs who saw the concert, everyone was slipping in the mud on the way back to the campsite. All the fun of the Fayre!

That's a great story, Leddy! I wish I could've gone to that, but I was only 13 at the time. I can still remember the buzz that the MkII reformation caused though and Tommy Vance's announcement of it on the Friday Rock Show!

That's a great story, Leddy! I wish I could've gone to that, but I was only 13 at the time. I can still remember the buzz that the MkII reformation caused though and Tommy Vance's announcement of it on the Friday Rock Show!

Yes I remember The Tommy Vance show when he intervied the guys too, it was very exciting !! I also remember on the night before when we were camping they had the Rock show from Knebworth and Ian Gillan was going round with Tommy around the site talking live a t 11pm at night...it was very cool !!!

• 2 weeks later...
Can any of you recommend me where to start with tommy bolin? expect for spectrum and james gang!

Assuming you've got his 2 solo ones already...

The Energy album

And if you want a Spectrum part2, you'll want

Mind Transplant by Alphonse Mouzon

I actually like this better than Spectrum.

Can anyone play better than RB on Burn?

Can anuyon eplay drums better tahn paice on Burn?

Can anyone play keyboards better than Lorf in Burn?

Can anyone play bass better than hughes on Bur?n

can anyone sing better than dave on Burn?

- maybe malmsteen..cause y'know....yea....

- NO

- wakeman

- yes

- the guy they just kicked out of the band the yr before ;)

Can anyone play better than RB on Burn?

Can anuyon eplay drums better tahn paice on Burn?

Can anyone play keyboards better than Lorf in Burn?

Can anyone play bass better than hughes on Bur?n

can anyone sing better than dave on Burn?

Answer: NO

My favourite Blackers solo !! inspiring stuff !!!

Saw them in New hampshire this year (first time was Perfect Strangers tour in Toronto). ALWAYS been a Blackmore fan but I must say I did like Morse. Overall, loved watching the show almost as much as the band loved playing it.

Thats cool. Morse is a a true musican and Plays alot of the songs with respect and heart !! Love his guitar playing but I just miss Blackmore and his tantrums !!

I read an interview with Jon Lord and he said he would get together with the MKII lineup with Ritchie to do some gigs if they could get Ritchie to do them, lets hope so !! Although Morse is a good guitatist I think a MKII gig would be just great.

Edited by leddy

Leddy

one thing Ian Gillian never got enough credit for in my book was his work on Jesus Christ Superstar back in the 70s. He sang the part of JC. Do you remember this? ever heard it? As for Jon Lord, I have him up there with Emerson. Not as good but very good. But I have to say that I think Blackmore isnt as big here as in England. He isnt even close to Page or Clapton or Rhodes or Hendrix or Betts and on and on. sorry.

Yes I do know Gillan was in JC, and Lord to me with that Hammond organ going thru a Marshall stack sends shivers doen my spine, I remember the first time I saw them at Knebworth 85 and they came on to Jon Lord playing Tocatta and Fugue on the hammond and then went into Highway Star, it was the best moment of a gig for me up untill the o2 gig and Zep !!

Zeppelin are my all time fave band as you know but Ritchie is a guitar god to me, I play more like him and play more Purple on my guitar (Highway, Burn, lazy etc) than Zeppelin. I know what you mean about Ritchie over your end but here he was and still is a guitar great !! I love playing Zep stuff on guitar but when I play Purple songs I find them more fun to play, there is a swing to alot of them, almost Jazzy, not in chord choice but in the feel ( swing as I say like Black Knight, Lazy etc).

But hey you don't have to like him as much as we are all different, I jus t like the way Blackmore commanded the stage when he was on form and was the band to me, where as Zeppelin it was all of them !!

Edited by leddy

Tommy Bolin is probably one of the most underrated guitar players ever, as is Come Taste The Band... but god could that guy play guitar!! thats my 2 cents!

i agree 100 % bolin was awesome

purple was the greatest concert i saw. bad co. openned the show, though i fell paul rodgers is one of the best vocalist purple made them look like amateurs. their final encore was 22 minutes of smoke on the water during it evans traded optics with blackmore then blakemore and lords went at it. the best show ever.

Edited by MOJO

i agree 100 % bolin was awesome

purple was the greatest concert i saw. bad co. openned the show, though i fell paul rodgers is one of the best vocalist purple made them look like amateurs. their final encore was 22 minutes of smoke on the water during it evans traded optics with blackmore then blakemore and lords went at it. the best show ever.

Bolin was a great guitarist, its a shame it fell apart on the only tour they did with him in Purple !!

What year did you see them ?? as Evans wasn't in the band when they did Smoke on the Water, he was in MKI not MK II <_<

Bolin was a great guitarist, its a shame it fell apart on the only tour they did with him in Purple !!

What year did you see them ?? as Evans wasn't in the band when they did Smoke on the Water, he was in MKI not MK II <_<

not exactly sure it was evans on keys but they had the keys on a platform and it rocked back and forth when they were trading.not sure of the year alot of my youth is a little foggey. i'm 42 now i was around 19 or 20 when i saw them. it was in pheonix arizona they had an awesome laser show and they preformed incredible.

not exactly sure it was evans on keys but they had the keys on a platform and it rocked back and forth when they were trading.not sure of the year alot of my youth is a little foggey. i'm 42 now i was around 19 or 20 when i saw them. it was in pheonix arizona they had an awesome laser show and they preformed incredible.

You're thinking of Jon Lord, he was the keyboard player until 2002 when Don Airey took over. Rod Evans was the original singer from 68 - 69.

You're thinking of Jon Lord, he was the keyboard player until 2002 when Don Airey took over. Rod Evans was the original singer from 68 - 69.

He could have saw the Evans-led 1980 'Deep Purple'. :blink:

or just mk2 with strange dye jobs...

Edited by Big Klu

He could have saw the Evans-led 1980 'Deep Purple'. :blink:

or just mk2 with strange dye jobs...

Thats true, did they actually do some gigs as I thought the rest of Purple got it stopped before they happened ??

Thats true, did they actually do some gigs as I thought the rest of Purple got it stopped before they happened ??

Not stopped quickly enough!! I saw them in Oakville, near Toronto, at the "Deep Purple Picnic", an outdoor, camping, festival thing. Terrible really, but a good weekend of drunkeness.

Not stopped quickly enough!! I saw them in Oakville, near Toronto, at the "Deep Purple Picnic", an outdoor, camping, festival thing. Terrible really, but a good weekend of drunkeness.

Blimey no wonder Balckmore and co were pissed off and got it stopped !!!