Purple/Rainbow/Blackmore etc

leddy

What do you good people think about STEVE MORSE?!:):)

Steve is one of my all time fave guitar players, wonderful technique, tasteful player, he has it all in my opinion, but he isn't Ritchie who was a showman and has written some trully great rock songs, but Steve is a great player :)

Along with Ritch, Purple lost its reliability. I have alvays been on same opinion with Ritchie on Gillans voice... he left it somewhere early 80's. Steve Morse is a great guitarist, but he can't make same like atmosphere as Ritchie (and I'm not meaning human relationships now!!!). The resingment of Jon Lord was Purples last breath. I like Well Dressed Guitar, but they really miss something. They should of stop when Lord left.

Edited by Deep_Zeppelin

Along with Ritch, Purple lost its reliability. I have alvays been on same opinion with Ritchie on Gillans voice... he left it somewhere early 80's. Steve Morse is a great guitarist, but he can't make same like atmosphere as Ritchie (and I'm not meaning human relationships now!!!). The resingment of Jon Lord was Purples last breath. I like Well Dressed Guitar, but they really miss something. They should of stop when Lord left.

Yes I know what you mean, I still go to Purple gigs but its like watching a really realy good tribute band with one original member in it !!

Yes I know what you mean, I still go to Purple gigs but its like watching a really realy good tribute band with one original member in it !!

3/5 of the classic MkII lineup though. :)

I've never even seen Purple, but you can tell it's not the same without Ritchie when listening to live recordings.

I will say though that Purpendicular and Rapture of the Deep are very good albums with some great songs on them, probably better than anything the reformed MkII lineup put out between '87 and '93. Certainly better than than Slaves & Masters!

I think they should play more Morse era tunes live.

3/5 of the classic MkII lineup though. :)

I've never even seen Purple, but you can tell it's not the same without Ritchie when listening to live recordings.

I will say though that Purpendicular and Rapture of the Deep are very good albums with some great songs on them, probably better than anything the reformed MkII lineup put out between '87 and '93. Certainly better than than Slaves & Masters!

I think they should play more Morse era tunes live.

With respect to the 3/5 of the classic lineup, without Lord/Blackmore it just isn't the same however good The Morse era songs are !! I think he is brill but Blackmore as you know to me is just cool !!

I saw MK II four times, MK V once, MK VII once and MK VIII twice. Although V with JLT was a bit well its JLT :( the gig I saw was cool as they opened with MKIII's Burn (and thats my fave Blackmore riff) so that was good as would have loved to see MKIII line up !! Morse does the Blackmore stuff real justice though, he really is awsome :) !!

From Blabbermouth...

JON LORD and BRUCE DICKINSON Perform With DEEP PURPLE In London

- Sep. 26, 2008

According to a posting on the DEEP PURPLE fan site The Highway Star, PURPLE was joined by former keyboardist Jon Lord for five songs at this year's Sunflower Jam 2008 on Thursday, September 25 at the Porchester Halls, London, England. This marked the first time that Lord has performed with the band in several years. Extended versions of "Hush" and "Wring That Neck" insured that fans of Lord's Hammond style were sent home happy. Singer Ian Gillan had the flu and as a consequence the band reshuffled the setlist to include more instrumental pieces.

The group's setlist was as follows:

01. Pictures Of Home

02. Strange Kind Of Woman

03. Hush (with Jon Lord)

04. Wring That Neck (with Jon Lord)

05. Mary Long

06. Highway Star

07. Contact Lost

08. Steve Morse Solo

09. Well Dressed Guitar

10. Smoke On The Water (with Jon Lord and IRON MAIDEN's Bruce Dickinson)

11. Black Night (with Jon Lord and Bruce Dickinson)

12. Lucille (with Jon Lord and Bruce Dickinson)

The Sunflower Jam is an evening of rock 'n' roll unlike any other. Artists such as Robert Plant, Margot Buchanan, Paul Weller, Roger Glover, Jon Lord, and Ian Paice have all come together in the past to support The Sam Buxton Sunflower Healing Trust. The Sam Buxton Sunflower Healing Trust is an exciting new charity that aims to provide integrated, supportive care for cancer patients in the UK. The charity was created in 2006 and since then has supported thousands of cancer patients and their families.

For more information, visit www.thesunflowerjam.com.

...and...

DEEP PURPLE Singer 'Burns Down The House' At Charity Auction

- Sep. 26, 2008

According to a posting on the DEEP PURPLE fan site The Highway Star, a quiet family dinner next to a charity event at a Portuguese resort Santa Barbara De Nexe turned into an impromptu performance for PURPLE singer Ian Gillan. The Portugal News Online reports: "As diners dug deep in their pockets for an Albufeira based children’s charity, Ian Gillan, who had been dining privately with his wife and daughter, was encouraged to provide an impromptu performance of one of the greatest rock classics of all time, 'Smoke On The Water'. Ian was backed on guitar by resident local musician Howard Scott Parkin who jumped at the opportunity to play with the DEEP PURPLE frontman, if only for one song."

From Blabbermouth...

JON LORD and BRUCE DICKINSON Perform With DEEP PURPLE In London

- Sep. 26, 2008

According to a posting on the DEEP PURPLE fan site The Highway Star, PURPLE was joined by former keyboardist Jon Lord for five songs at this year's Sunflower Jam 2008 on Thursday, September 25 at the Porchester Halls, London, England. This marked the first time that Lord has performed with the band in several years. Extended versions of "Hush" and "Wring That Neck" insured that fans of Lord's Hammond style were sent home happy. Singer Ian Gillan had the flu and as a consequence the band reshuffled the setlist to include more instrumental pieces.

The group's setlist was as follows:

01. Pictures Of Home

02. Strange Kind Of Woman

03. Hush (with Jon Lord)

04. Wring That Neck (with Jon Lord)

05. Mary Long

06. Highway Star

07. Contact Lost

08. Steve Morse Solo

09. Well Dressed Guitar

10. Smoke On The Water (with Jon Lord and IRON MAIDEN's Bruce Dickinson)

11. Black Night (with Jon Lord and Bruce Dickinson)

12. Lucille (with Jon Lord and Bruce Dickinson)

The Sunflower Jam is an evening of rock 'n' roll unlike any other. Artists such as Robert Plant, Margot Buchanan, Paul Weller, Roger Glover, Jon Lord, and Ian Paice have all come together in the past to support The Sam Buxton Sunflower Healing Trust. The Sam Buxton Sunflower Healing Trust is an exciting new charity that aims to provide integrated, supportive care for cancer patients in the UK. The charity was created in 2006 and since then has supported thousands of cancer patients and their families.

For more information, visit www.thesunflowerjam.com.

...and...

DEEP PURPLE Singer 'Burns Down The House' At Charity Auction

- Sep. 26, 2008

According to a posting on the DEEP PURPLE fan site The Highway Star, a quiet family dinner next to a charity event at a Portuguese resort Santa Barbara De Nexe turned into an impromptu performance for PURPLE singer Ian Gillan. The Portugal News Online reports: "As diners dug deep in their pockets for an Albufeira based children’s charity, Ian Gillan, who had been dining privately with his wife and daughter, was encouraged to provide an impromptu performance of one of the greatest rock classics of all time, 'Smoke On The Water'. Ian was backed on guitar by resident local musician Howard Scott Parkin who jumped at the opportunity to play with the DEEP PURPLE frontman, if only for one song."

How cool on both :) come back Ritchie for one last gig ...please !!

I could watch/listen to Blackmore in whatever band he is in. Great player and he has that rock star mystique about him.....like Jimmy.

Anyone heard the MK111 ...San Diego 1974 version of Mistreated ( Perks + Tit" bootleg)?. Blackmores extended guitar intro is astonishing !! I wish that was the version they had filmed instead of the California Jam DVD version.

Anyone heard the MK111 ...San Diego 1974 version of Mistreated ( Perks + Tit" bootleg)?. Blackmores extended guitar intro is astonishing !!

Yeah, excellent stuff. I bought that last year when it got re-released. Shame the whole gig wasn't recorded.

I could watch/listen to Blackmore in whatever band he is in. Great player and he has that rock star mystique about him.....like Jimmy.

Well you can go and see him in tights and minstrel hat with Blackmore's Night <_<:D

Yea, me too. And the band around him would be Elf or "Rainbow MK1" as it is usually called 'cos they did it the best. Sadly Cozy Powell isn't seeing it...

I would want to see Deep Purple MK1 once more... Possible?

Don't think its pos in my opinion, I would like to see MK III again. Jon Lord has said that he would like to do one last DP gig were all members play from every lineup..if he could pull that off then I for one would be like last year getting a Zep ticket, i would sell my gran :)