Purple/Rainbow/Blackmore etc

leddy

Christ! I didn't get into Rainbow/Purple until I was about 14 (back in 1982 ish). Gillan had been producin some commercial tripe and Rainbow just had such an 'orrendous image, I struggled to get past that and just enjoy their music.

I was at Knebworth and held them as my favourite band of all time a few years later, despite Richie's guitar sound being a bit rougher and Ian's drumming being less crisp.

Then I saw them at the NEC the next year (or year after) and felt deeply dissapointed. Sluggish bunch of old men riding on past glories. But by then, I had discovered and collected the full catalogue of the mysterious Led Zeppelin, who barely attempted to make an impression on the mainstream media and had remained 'true' until the end.

It's funny, cos I stumbled across this thread midway through a rare Deep Purple session I'm having (as opposed to the many Zeps I have) with a bottle of Red and some Speckled Hen.

In conclusion; They were great in many of their forms, and poor in a few.

Christ! I didn't get into Rainbow/Purple until I was about 14 (back in 1982 ish). Gillan had been producin some commercial tripe and Rainbow just had such an 'orrendous image, I struggled to get past that and just enjoy their music.

I was at Knebworth and held them as my favourite band of all time a few years later, despite Richie's guitar sound being a bit rougher and Ian's drumming being less crisp.

Then I saw them at the NEC the next year (or year after) and felt deeply dissapointed. Sluggish bunch of old men riding on past glories. But by then, I had discovered and collected the full catalogue of the mysterious Led Zeppelin, who barely attempted to make an impression on the mainstream media and had remained 'true' until the end.

It's funny, cos I stumbled across this thread midway through a rare Deep Purple session I'm having (as opposed to the many Zeps I have) with a bottle of Red and some Speckled Hen.

In conclusion; They were great in many of their forms, and poor in a few.

Ah Mudworth 85, what a horrible wet day, the wettest June day ever I reckon, but Purple were great, funny in 87 I saw them at Wembley and Birmingham and thought the shows were really good ....happy days :)

Another huge fan of Blackmore and his many bands here!

Caught the current incarnation of Deep Purple at Brighton last year and was amazed. May not be the same without Blackmore and Lord but the band are still an amazing live act. There seems to be too much Blackmore vs Morse stuff going on on the internet, IMO both are simply amazing guitarists.

Currently been getting into Blackmore's Night, very underrated band, once you get past the medieval costumes there is some fantastic music. There seems to be a lot of negativity surrounding them similar to the Plant/Krauss project in that people are saying Ritchie should be playing louder music. But with closer inspection Ritchie still does dig the strat out. And his playing on acoustic instruments is also fantastic. Also when it comes to singing Rainbow/Purple stuff Candice is a fantastic singer.

Youtube vids of BN being loud:

Smoke On The Water

Black Night

Sixteenth Century Greensleeves (Only audio)

Really looking forward to this Rainbow 'reunion' with Jurgen Blackmore next year. Hopefully they will play more places than Russia. Jurgen is a great guitarist himself so it should be a really good project.

Jurgen Blackmore

Hope to catch Over The Rainbow and Blackmoe's Night next year. 2009 seems to be looking likea good year gig wise, "Rainbow" and hopefully something Zeppelin related.

Edited by Hand_Of_Omega_91

i loved deep purple so when thay came to town for concert i went ACDC had a consert going a couple nights later it was a hard choice ACDC OR DEEP PURPLE so i picked DP>>>>IT WAS BAD SHIT I MISSED ACDC FOR THIS I HAD WATCHED DP OLD SCHOOL VIDEOS SPACE TRUCKIN SWEET CHILD OF TIME SMOKE ON THE WATER BLACK KNIGHT CRAZY SOLOS ALL ON OLD VIDEO WHEN THAY WERE YOUNG NOW ITS SAD IT WAS CRAP SO ZEPPELIN IS MY CHOISE THAY DO IT BETTER WITH PAGE AND PLANT NO QUATER 1993 VIDEO GEEZ THEM BLOKES CANT LOOSE IT THATS LIKE ACDC THAY STILL GOT IT BUT DEEP PURPLE DONT HAVE IT ANY MORE I LOVE THERE REALLY OLD SHIT THAY WERE A TOP BAND BLACK KNIGHT tuff song .................thay are cool but now thay are trying to be something there not thay got lost with the times sad sad sad

Yeah, so, uhhh, maybe you could sign up for those English classes you've been thinking about, eh? Or, you know, maybe not, I don't know. Totally, like, up to you.

Another huge fan of Blackmore and his many bands here!

Caught the current incarnation of Deep Purple at Brighton last year and was amazed. May not be the same without Blackmore and Lord but the band are still an amazing live act. There seems to be too much Blackmore vs Morse stuff going on on the internet, IMO both are simply amazing guitarists.

Currently been getting into Blackmore's Night, very underrated band, once you get past the medieval costumes there is some fantastic music. There seems to be a lot of negativity surrounding them similar to the Plant/Krauss project in that people are saying Ritchie should be playing louder music. But with closer inspection Ritchie still does dig the strat out. And his playing on acoustic instruments is also fantastic. Also when it comes to singing Rainbow/Purple stuff Candice is a fantastic singer.

Youtube vids of BN being loud:

Smoke On The Water

Black Night

Sixteenth Century Greensleeves (Only audio)

Really looking forward to this Rainbow 'reunion' with Jurgen Blackmore next year. Hopefully they will play more places than Russia. Jurgen is a great guitarist himself so it should be a really good project.

Jurgen Blackmore

Hope to catch Over The Rainbow and Blackmoe's Night next year. 2009 seems to be looking likea good year gig wise, "Rainbow" and hopefully something Zeppelin related.

Good post, I have to say I have read sad reviews of BK and haven't been able to bring myself to see him. I saw the clips you sent and I can see I think he would really like to rock out :).

As time goes by I know if I am ever to see the great Blacmore I will need to go to BK gig thinking oh dear, but the day is coming.

The clip of JR Blackmore you posted is the first time I have heard him. Have to say he has his dads expressive playing, I liked his playing and hope like you the rainbow Rising go to more than :)

Good post, I have to say I have read sad reviews of BK and haven't been able to bring myself to see him. I saw the clips you sent and I can see I think he would really like to rock out :).

As time goes by I know if I am ever to see the great Blacmore I will need to go to BK gig thinking oh dear, but the day is coming.

The clip of JR Blackmore you posted is the first time I have heard him. Have to say he has his dads expressive playing, I liked his playing and hope like you the rainbow Rising go to more than :)

In 'Classic Rock Magazine' there have been some really harsh reviews of Blackmore's Night and harsh comments about the man himself such as labelling him a 'lost' guitarist of the rock world. Therefore for ages I stayed well away but after looking recently I see that those comments were far too harsh, he still is a master of the guitar even if it is on an acoustic and he does get the strat out on many occcasions on their albums. He himself is quoted as saying he's doing a Bob Dylan but the other way round and tehrefore he gets abuse! Similar to the Plant/Krauss thing in that people dont want them to make quieter music. I think itd be worth seeing Blackmore's Night for Ritchie's playing if nothing else.

And yes JR Blackmore is also a great guitarist, would rather have a reunion with Ritchie and Dio but as Dio's busy with Sabbath at the moment and Ritchie with Blackmore's Night doesnt seem as though anything involving the 'classic' lineup will happen again.

In 'Classic Rock Magazine' there have been some really harsh reviews of Blackmore's Night and harsh comments about the man himself such as labelling him a 'lost' guitarist of the rock world. Therefore for ages I stayed well away but after looking recently I see that those comments were far too harsh, he still is a master of the guitar even if it is on an acoustic and he does get the strat out on many occcasions on their albums. He himself is quoted as saying he's doing a Bob Dylan but the other way round and tehrefore he gets abuse! Similar to the Plant/Krauss thing in that people dont want them to make quieter music. I think itd be worth seeing Blackmore's Night for Ritchie's playing if nothing else.

And yes JR Blackmore is also a great guitarist, would rather have a reunion with Ritchie and Dio but as Dio's busy with Sabbath at the moment and Ritchie with Blackmore's Night doesnt seem as though anything involving the 'classic' lineup will happen again.

For me its not a case of him playing the acoustic, half of Zep's music is acoustic and love it. I think my problem lots of others is that with BK it all looks like a nativity play and a joke :, but hey I know I will go at some point and

then I really can have an opinion then.

Blackmore is and always be the most exciting guitarist to me that I have seen :)

Edited by leddy

For me its not a case of him playing the acoustic, half of Zep's music is acoustic and love it. I think my problem lots of others is that with BK it all looks like a nativity play and a joke :, but hey I know I will go at some point and then I really can have an opinion then.

Blackmore is and always be the most exciting guitarist to me that I have seen :)

I agree with you on the nativity play bit, it does look very silly indeed! I also think it cheapens the music somewhat, the first time I saw a live vid of them I thought 'my God this is beyond Spinal Tap!' I also read somehwere that the first few rows of their gigs go to people who dress up in medieval gear.

Edited by Hand_Of_Omega_91

I agree with you on the nativity play bit, it does look very silly indeed! I also think it cheapens the music somewhat, the first time I saw a live vid of them I thought 'my God this is beyond Spinal Tap!' I also read somehwere that the first few rows of their gigs go to people who dress up in medieval gear.

I know and the thing is if I want to see Blackers close up, I will need to dress up as a minstral as I think they get the tickets at the front !! Oh God has it come to this ??? Thing is though Blackmore does what he wants and I guess if he wanted to be back with Purple or Rainbow then he would.

I was a heavy Blackmore fan in my teens, I loved that he was classically taught, but what the hell has gotten into this dude now?? Why is he acting like a Harry Potter character? I don't get it. Anyways... the ultimate Rainbow line-up....

Blackmore

Glover

Tony Carey

Dio

Rondinelli (since my man Cozy passed)

I was a heavy Blackmore fan in my teens, I loved that he was classically taught, but what the hell has gotten into this dude now?? Why is he acting like a Harry Potter character? I don't get it. Anyways... the ultimate Rainbow line-up....

Blackmore

Glover

Tony Carey

Dio

Rondinelli (since my man Cozy passed)

Agree with you on the Rainbow line up!

He's acting like a Harry Potter character because he wants to is the short answer, which I dont see a problem with, a musician will be their best when they're doing what they want to do. (Not sure about the costumes though!)

More in depth reason why Blackmore's Night formed: (from Wiki)

The origins of the band lie in 1989 when Candice Night was working at a local New York rock music radio station. She first encountered Ritchie Blackmore, then with Deep Purple, at a football game in which he was playing. The two became romantically involved and discovered that they shared a passionate interest in the Renaissance.

After leaving Deep Purple in 1993 and recording the album Stranger in Us All in 1995, on which Night contributed backing vocals and some of the lyrics, Blackmore became interested in the idea of bringing Renaissance music to a contemporary audience. Night's personality and singing ability made her the natural choice as "frontwoman." In 1997 the pair were ready to launch the band, the name being a pun of their own names, and which would consist of themselves plus session musicians.

More in depth reason why Blackmore's Night formed: (from Wiki)

The origins of the band lie in 1989 when Candice Night was working at a local New York rock music radio station. She first encountered Ritchie Blackmore, then with Deep Purple, at a football game in which he was playing. The two became romantically involved and discovered that they shared a passionate interest in the Renaissance.

After leaving Deep Purple in 1993 and recording the album Stranger in Us All in 1995, on which Night contributed backing vocals and some of the lyrics, Blackmore became interested in the idea of bringing Renaissance music to a contemporary audience. Night's personality and singing ability made her the natural choice as "frontwoman." In 1997 the pair were ready to launch the band, the name being a pun of their own names, and which would consist of themselves plus session musicians.

Yes if he is in a happy place with it all then as a musician thats cool !!!

Thanks for the history of his current jams. You're right, he can do it cuz he wants to, he is by far one of the great guitar gods! B) To be honest tho I've never heard any of his new stuff. And I saw a post that his son jams also, I have to see!

Hmmmmmmmm well, little much like his pop, nothing we haven't already heard! What's that hideous hair-band thing he's in? But overall he rates.

LETS TALK ABOUT HOW YNGWIE IMITATES BLACKMORE

Edited by Ladymadcap

• 2 weeks later...

Where's all the Rainbow fans??? Lookie what I just saw!!

Ex-Rainbow Members Unite for OVER THE RAINBOW:

J.R. BLACKMORE---son of Ritchie Blackmore--- on guitar

(New York, NY-USA) Former Rainbow musicians Joe Lynn Turner, Tony Carey, Bobby Rondinelli and Greg Smith

have united with a second generation Blackmore to form Over The Rainbow.

Over The Rainbow is:

Vocals: Joe Lynn Turner (Rainbow 1980-1984)

Keyboards: Tony Carey (Rainbow 1975-1978)

Drums: Bobby Rondinelli (Rainbow 1980-1983)

Bass: Greg Smith (Rainbow 1994-1997)

Guitar: Jurgen ("J.R.") Blackmore

Where's all the Rainbow fans??? Lookie what I just saw!!

Ex-Rainbow Members Unite for OVER THE RAINBOW:

J.R. BLACKMORE---son of Ritchie Blackmore--- on guitar

(New York, NY-USA) Former Rainbow musicians Joe Lynn Turner, Tony Carey, Bobby Rondinelli and Greg Smith

have united with a second generation Blackmore to form Over The Rainbow.

Over The Rainbow is:

Vocals: Joe Lynn Turner (Rainbow 1980-1984)

Keyboards: Tony Carey (Rainbow 1975-1978)

Drums: Bobby Rondinelli (Rainbow 1980-1983)

Bass: Greg Smith (Rainbow 1994-1997)

Guitar: Jurgen ("J.R.") Blackmore

WE have nbeen talking about that in the thread....honest :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Ah yes, Deep Purple - the Cortinas of rock. Never remotely in the same league as LZ, but I used to love them, and can hardly bear to listen to them these days. I put on Made in Japan recently, and had to turn it off after 3 songs. Eww.

IMO, the MKII sound has aged REALLY badly. Too much yucky Hammond. "Taxi for Mr Lord?" Their studio albums were puny, and their live improvisations deadly boring. Mks III & IV were more interesting musically, and haven't aged nearly as badly.

Baldrick's high-water mark was with RJD, specifically Rainbow Rising, side 2 to be precise. What a colossal side of vinyl that was. Ok, so Stargazer was a desperate Kashmir tribute, which has nevertheless rightly earned 'classic' status, but 'Light in the Black' is the true unsung epic, probably Baldrick's crowning glory. Absolutely stunning.

Ah yes, Deep Purple - the Cortinas of rock. Never remotely in the same league as LZ, but I used to love them, and can hardly bear to listen to them these days. I put on Made in Japan recently, and had to turn it off after 3 songs. Eww.

IMO, the MKII sound has aged REALLY badly. Too much yucky Hammond. "Taxi for Mr Lord?" Their studio albums were puny, and their live improvisations deadly boring. Mks III & IV were more interesting musically, and haven't aged nearly as badly.

Baldrick's high-water mark was with RJD, specifically Rainbow Rising, side 2 to be precise. What a colossal side of vinyl that was. Ok, so Stargazer was a desperate Kashmir tribute, which has nevertheless rightly earned 'classic' status, but 'Light in the Black' is the true unsung epic, probably Baldrick's crowning glory. Absolutely stunning.

I disagree with just everything you have said, not in the same league ? In the early 70s they were in same league, I love both Zeppelin and Purple and have seen both in concert, both were great, but Purple were a bit bitter IMO.

Made in Japan was one of the best Live shows ever, the best of 3 nights, and at least it they did not edit the heck out of it like Zep did with The song remains the same, I dont think you can really compare the 2 bands, both great in their own way.

Lord was a key part of the Purple sound and to this day I LOVE his Hammond, Studio albums puny ? Listen to Machine Head or In Rock or Burn, nothing Puny there, just some of the best Music to come out of the 70's.

Stargazer a desperate Kashmir ? thats just insane, both are classic tracks in their own right.

The only thing I can agree with here is that Rainbow Rising is a great piece of work

Even Purple today are better then alot of the bands out there.

I guess maybe we can agree to disagree.

Rainbow was my first concert, as a 10th grader in 1983. Blackmore was amazing. I remember "Jealous Lover" lasting like 20 minutes, his fingers blazing the whole song.

I first got into Deep Purple about the same time, with "Deepest Purple." I went straight from there into the albums, with "Machine Head" being my favorite. I have the original quadraphonic mix on SACD...the mix is great, the sound quality so-so.