Purple/Rainbow/Blackmore etc

leddy

Me-me-me-me-me!!! :lol: Well, I'm a fan of the DP MK II. I tend to believe that had this version of the group stayed together, they would've eventually been looked at in the same view as Led Zeppelin or the Beatles....maybe not in the rarified air but one level below. Perhaps they are......I just think the MK II version had "it" going on....:)

Edited by myledzep

Me-me-me-me-me!!! :lol: Well, I'm a fan of the DP MK II. I tend to believe that had this version of the group stayed together, they would've eventually been looked at in the same view as Led Zeppelin or the Beatles....maybe not in the rarified air but one level below. Perhaps they are......I just think the MK II version had "it" going on....:)

Yes you could be right, but I think the fact that there have been so many MKs has kinda added musically some great songs that might not of been written if the MKII were always together. Though Ritchie was and always will be Deep Purple to me !!

Big Purple/Rainbow/Blackmore fan here... Always loved Ritchie's playing. Loved how he was an absolute maniac on stage too! (Cali Jam 74?) :rolleyes:

I love both MKII & MKIII Purple equally... Love the balls-to-the-wall hard rocking of MKII and the Looser, funkier grooves of MKIII..

Rainbow too... At least while Dio was still there..

Big Purple/Rainbow/Blackmore fan here... Always loved Ritchie's playing. Loved how he was an absolute maniac on stage too! (Cali Jam 74?) :rolleyes:

I love both MKII & MKIII Purple equally... Love the balls-to-the-wall hard rocking of MKII and the Looser, funkier grooves of MKIII..

Rainbow too... At least while Dio was still there..

Yes Blackmore was a great showman, even on the Straight Between the Eyes dvd if you fast forward past the awful vocals of JLT, you get some vintage Blackmore stage antics and wild solo's !! Love Dio as a vocalist in both Rainbow and The Sabs.

Edited by leddy

Just a mention for Rainbow w RJD and Cozy; saw them at De Montford and they were really tight.

Stargazer is still a fantastic anthem, in my top 5 rock trax ever.........and I'm pretty old.

I see a Rainbow Rising.

Tommy Bolin is probably one of the most underrated guitar players ever, as is Come Taste The Band... but god could that guy play guitar!! thats my 2 cents!

Yes and he did some great albums with Billy Cobham and James Gang !!

Just a mention for Rainbow w RJD and Cozy; saw them at De Montford and they were really tight.

Stargazer is still a fantastic anthem, in my top 5 rock trax ever.........and I'm pretty old.

I see a Rainbow Rising.

Cool !! thats Leicester isn't it ?? I love Kill the King , what a great song, what a great band !

Her is a few of my tickets to see Purple, i saw them about 8 times !!

largetic85.jpg

putic93th.jpg

pur87th.jpg

Another good band I spy on your ticket...Bad Company! The circle will be complete when Paul Rogers makes the O2 stage in 17 days time.

Another good band I spy on your ticket...Bad Company! The circle will be complete when Paul Rogers makes the O2 stage in 17 days time.

Yes they are a good band although when I saw them Rogers wasn't the singer !! though I saw him with Page in The Firm !!

Edited by leddy

Great stuff, you saw the last ever MkII show when Blackmore threw one of his most famous strops!

Yes I did and its on the dvd Come hell or High water. I remember we were sitting directly behind Jon lord at the side of the stage. They kicked into highway Star, but Blackers didn't come on so they kept the intro going and going, we could tell there was a problem, after a while they went on with the song without Blackers, when it came to the guitar solo he came on, threw water over Lord to the cameraman. I thought great we are in for an interesting evening ! :)

Yes I did and its on the dvd Come hell or High water. I remember we were sitting directly behind Jon lord at the side of the stage. They kicked into highway Star, but Blackers didn't come on so they kept the intro going and going, we could tell there was a problem, after a while they went on with the song without Blackers, when it came to the guitar solo he came on, threw water over Lord to the cameraman. I thought great we are in for an interesting evening ! :)

I've seen "Come Hell or High Water", and I've got the "Live in Europe, 1993" box set with the entire NEC and Stuttgart gigs. It has a detailed analysis of the events of that evening in the booklet, very interesting reading! :D

Edited by Ady

Perhaps it is...I just think MK II had a lot of potential but that's just my .02 cents....:)

I agree. The trio of "In Rock", "Fireball" & "Machine Head" is incredible. Three completely different, but brilliant albums. "Who Do We Think We Are" isn't too shabby either and "Made In Japan" is one of the all time great live albums.

I do enjoy the MkIII & MkIV lineups as well though. "Burn", "Stormbringer" & "Come Taste the Band" are all up there with the MkII material for me and there are some cracking live albums from those lineups to compete with "Made In Japan".

I agree. The trio of "In Rock", "Fireball" & "Machine Head" is incredible. Three completely different, but brilliant albums. "Who Do We Think We Are" isn't too shabby either and "Made In Japan" is one of the all time great live albums.

I do enjoy the MkIII & MkIV lineups as well though. "Burn", "Stormbringer" & "Come Taste the Band" are all up there with the MkII material for me and there are some cracking live albums from those lineups to compete with "Made In Japan".

Burn is a great album and Burn itself is my fave Purple riff !! and You fool know One is so catchy !!

Burn is a great album and Burn itself is my fave Purple riff !!

Have you heard "Speed King" on "Live In Stuttgart" when they go into the "Burn" riff during the extended instrumental section? A truly magical moment!

Have you heard "Speed King" on "Live In Stuttgart" when they go into the "Burn" riff during the extended instrumental section? A truly magical moment!

No I haven't !! When Joe Lynn Turner did vocals on the Slaves and Master tour of 1990ish, the one good thing about that tour was they Did burn as the opener to the show, which was cool !! With Gillan they didn't do MKIII stuff which is a shame. So although I do not like JLT as a vocalist it made it bearable having Burn in the set !!

No I haven't !! When Joe Lynn Turner did vocals on the Slaves and Master tour of 1990ish, the one good thing about that tour was they Did burn as the opener to the show, which was cool !! With Gillan they didn't do MKIII stuff which is a shame. So although I do not like JLT as a vocalist it made it bearable having Burn in the set !!

You can buy "Live in Stuttgart 1993" separately now. Play.com are selling it for £7.99, I totally recommend it, they were on superb form that night and the sound quality is excellent. It's the whole show with no edits and they played for over 2 hours.

I don't like JLT era Deep Purple, I think "Slaves & Masters" is by far the worst DP album.

You can buy "Live in Stuttgart 1993" separately now. Play.com are selling it for £7.99, I totally recommend it, they were on superb form that night and the sound quality is excellent. It's the whole show with no edits and they played for over 2 hours.

I don't like JLT era Deep Purple, I think "Slaves & Masters" is by far the worst DP album.

Thanks for that I will put that on my Xmas list !! and yes the S&M cd is more latter day Rainbow and not Purples best. Do you like the Morse era Purple ?? I saw them a couple of time and he is a really great guitarist and does the music justice, though Purple without the man in black is just not the same.

Edited by leddy