Jump to content

Purple/Rainbow/Blackmore etc


leddy
 Share

Recommended Posts

Here's a recent example:

'Blackmore's Night manager, and Ritchie's mother-in-law, Carole Stevens, shows up and is angry because an interview is going on after curfew. The Swedish reporter asks for a couple of autographs and all is fine as long as Ritchie signs publicity photos of Blackmore's Night. When the Deep Purple box set Listen Learn Read On is taken out, the manager runs away with the box set and the reporter is reminded of the story about the guy who got his copy of Machine Head ripped to pieces by the mother-in-law. The reporter sets off after Stevens and asks if he can get his box back. Stevens refuses and throws the box into the hands of the Swedish record company guy and says 'this is why Sweden will never get an interview again!' Cripes...

Edited by Brigante
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ritchie Blackmore----"I'm now 70, so I just felt like playing some rock 'n' roll for a few days," he said. "We're going to do four or five dates" -- most likely in England, Germany and Sweden -- "of just playing the old rock stuff, Purple stuff and Rainbow. I'm doing it for the fans, for nostalgia, and the singer I found is very exciting: he's a cross between Dio meets Freddie Mercury. So this will mean exposing a new singer to the masses, and I'm sure he'll become pretty famous of his voice."

Blackmore declined to reveal the other musicians that will participate in the shows because contracts are still being negotiated, but said that none will be known names from his previous groups. He plans to film and record the performances for future release.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ritchie-blackmore-taps-exciting-new-singer-for-upcoming-rock-shows/

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, Ritchie Blackmore will regroup with members of Rainbow and Deep Purple for what will probably be four shows next year in Europe. And no, despite some news media reports to the contrary , he's not joking.

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/ritchie-blackmore-candace-night-interview-2015

I'm betting that Ian Gillan won't be involved.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

RITCHIE BLACKMORE: First Rock Show Announced For 2016

Legendary guitarist Ritchie Blackmore will perform RAINBOW and DEEP PURPLE material at what will probably be four shows next year in Europe. According to  SWP.DE. one of those concerts will be held on June 18, 2016 at the Monsters Of Rock festival in Bietigheim-Bissingen, Germany.

Tickets for the Monsters Of Rock festival go on sale on November 6.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ritchie-blackmore-first-rock-show-announced-for-2016/

http://www.swp.de/bietigheim/lokales/bietigheim_bissingen/Monsters-of-Rock-Ritchie-Blackmore-spielt-2016-unterm-Viadukt;art1188806,3485760

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Legendary guitarist Ritchie Blackmore will perform RAINBOW and DEEP PURPLE material at what will probably be four shows next year in Europe. The first two announced concerts in Germany so far will take place at the Monsters Of Rock festival on Friday, June 17, 2016 at Freilichtbuhne in Loreley and on June 18, 2016 at Festplatz am Viadukt in Bietigheim-Bissingen.

Tickets for the Monsters Of Rock festival go on sale on November 6.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ritchie-blackmore-second-rock-show-announced-for-2016/

monstersofrockrainbow2015poster_638.thum

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I bought a ticket for this show today.

Cool beans. Looks like Blackmore will be joined by Lords Of Black singer Ronnie Romero, Stratovarius keyboardist Jens Johansson, Blackmore's Night  drummer David Keith and bassist Bob Nouveau.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ritchie-blackmore-reveals-touring-lineup-for-rock-shows/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
New RAINBOW Singer RONNIE ROMERO Feels 'Lucky' To Have Landed Gig
 

Ritchie Blackmore will be joined by LORDS OF BLACK singer Ronnie Romero, STRATOVARIUS keyboardist Jens Johansson, BLACKMORE'S NIGHT drummer David Keith and bassist Bob Nouveau (a.k.a. Robert "Bob" Curiano, ex-BLACKMORE'S NIGHT).

 

Regarding how he landed the gig, the Chilean-born Romero told Rafabasa.com: "I don't know from how long they had me on their list, but they contacted me some months ago, at the beginning of summer, to tell me about a chance to an audition . I deeply remember that 'day one' and that first 'hi,' been doing your daily activities and receive an email from Ritchie Blackmore himself is quite hard to assimilate, after a few days days, even weeks."

Romero also talked about Ritchie's recent description of his vocal style as "a cross between Ronnie James Dio and Freddie Mercury." He said: "I just think about how lucky I feel, not just to get the gig, but how the hell they found me. Having so many good singers worldwide. From the first contact, I just tried to give my best to get it. I always believed in myself, and with the support of my family and close friends, even more. About his words, I just can be thankful, he put the bar quite high with his description. [Laughs] But I'm also glad with his confidence on me to this huge task."

Audio samples of the songs that will appear on the upcoming second album from Romero's LORDS OF BLACK band can be streamed in the YouTube clip below.

 

Blackmore plans to film and record the upcoming performances for future release.
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

rainbow2016lineupposter.thumb.jpg.fb8668

 

Exclusive Interview With David Keith, Blackmore's Night and Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow drummer

 

Born in 1973 in Hartford, Connecticut, David Keith has been Blackmore's Night drummer since 2012, under the name Troubadour of Aberdeen. He has also played with the bands Mighty Purple and Eight to the Bar.  In 2010 he created Mission Zero with his sister Chenot Keith (born Megan Keith). They have released three albums.

 

How were you offered the position? Was it kind of natural for Ritchie to give you the call? Did you have to audition? Or both?

 

It did seem like a natural decision to me. There is a section of the Blackmore's Night live show where Ritchie puts on the Strat for a few songs, and we crank up the Rock N Roll. The energy on stage is amazing, and I often found myself thinking, "Man, I wonder if he's considering doing some rock shows...because this is f'ing fantastic!"

 

I guess you could consider the last few years with Blackmore's Night my 'audition'. Ritchie approached me one night recently after a show, and casually mentioned that he was thinking of doing some rock shows, and that he's like me to play in them... you know, IF I was interested. Ha! So I told him I'd think about it, and that was it. I was in shock -- he's really going to do this, I thought, and I get to be a part of it! Unbelievable.

 

You'll be playing the parts that were (are) being played by Ian Paice, Cozy Powell and many other great drummers. How do you feel about that, and how are you preparing for it?

 

It's really an incredible honor for me. When I was a kid, I would practice in my parents' basement, playing along with tunes turned up loud in my headphones. As I was trying to mimic the masters, Including the great Mr. Paice and Mr. Powell of course, I often fantasized about what it would be like to be onstage playing those tunes for real. So yeah, I feel pretty good about it! I started out with some intense listening and video watching sessions, looking for as many different recordings and live footage as I could find, trying to soak up the vibe... and of course, hours and hours behind the kit, with tunes blasting in my earbuds, thrashing away... it is such physical music, so visceral... the carpet under my drums has a layer of sawdust and random broken sticks on it.

 

What can your style add in terms of personality and feel to the Deep Purple and Rainbow classics?

 

Your readers will be pleased to know that my primary intention is to play the music as authentically as possible. I will be pulling parts from both studio and live recordings; anything I change or play differently will be with the original drummer and feel of the song in mind. Of all the other drummers Ritchie has played with, I would say my style is probably closest to Cozy's, but they have all brought different things to the table. I have the good fortune to draw from this vast well of drumming history, and create a new blend of parts for people to enjoy. I will add some of my own flavor to the mix, of course, but in subtle ways, always within the context and spirit of the original performances.

 

Are you looking forward to doing something different with Ritchie and how do you think Ronnie will do as the singer?

 

I can't wait! I think he has assembled an incredibly strong group of musicians, and I'm excited to start playing with them and to see what we can do together. I've only seen videos of Ronnie, but it's obvious that he not only has a vocal style and range that is more than up to the task, but also the passion and intensity to deliver the words with real feeling, which I think is just as important.

 

How is it working with Ritchie Blackmore?

Ritchie certainly has a reputation for being difficult to work with, but I have honestly found it to be easy. Ritchie knows what he wants, and will continue trying different things till the sound is right. I have no problem changing what I'm playing - I'm not out to prove anything to anyone, I simply want to play the song well. This is his music, his vision - so leave your ego at the door, listen, and be flexible!

 

Have you guys rehearsed  all together yet? If not, where and when are you planning on rehearsing (Europe, USA...)?

 

We have not rehearsed yet, but will be doing so very soon, at a secret location, somewhere here on Earh haha.

 

Will you use a vintage Ludwig double bass drum kit in the shows by any chance?

 

We haven't decided  what drum setup will be used for the shows, though it will probably not be a vintage Ludwig kit. I can tell you that I have been playing Fibes drums most of my life, and endorsed them when they were last in production (from the mid-90's through early 2000's). I have been practicing on a clear acrylic Fibes kit that I've had since 1999, with twin 26' kick drums, two rack toms, two floor toms, and many cymbals...

 

The bass player in the band (Bob Curiano in art Bob Nouveau) is part of the Blackmore's Night family. You haven't played with him in BN, but do you know him, and have you had the chance of jamming together perhaps in the States?

 

I met Bob very recently, but haven't gotten to play with him yet. I've seen and heard a lot of his work with Blackmore's Night - He's really an incredible player! He has amazing musical instincts, and I think we will find it easy to lock in with each other... these shows are going to be crazy.

 

http://www.deep-purple.it/david-keith-intervista-batterista-rainbow/

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/17/2015 at 8:01 PM, The Pagemeister said:
New RAINBOW Singer RONNIE ROMERO Feels 'Lucky' To Have Landed Gig
 

Ritchie Blackmore will be joined by LORDS OF BLACK singer Ronnie Romero, STRATOVARIUS keyboardist Jens Johansson, BLACKMORE'S NIGHT drummer David Keith and bassist Bob Nouveau (a.k.a. Robert "Bob" Curiano, ex-BLACKMORE'S NIGHT).

 

Regarding how he landed the gig, the Chilean-born Romero told Rafabasa.com: "I don't know from how long they had me on their list, but they contacted me some months ago, at the beginning of summer, to tell me about a chance to an audition . I deeply remember that 'day one' and that first 'hi,' been doing your daily activities and receive an email from Ritchie Blackmore himself is quite hard to assimilate, after a few days days, even weeks."

Romero also talked about Ritchie's recent description of his vocal style as "a cross between Ronnie James Dio and Freddie Mercury." He said: "I just think about how lucky I feel, not just to get the gig, but how the hell they found me. Having so many good singers worldwide. From the first contact, I just tried to give my best to get it. I always believed in myself, and with the support of my family and close friends, even more. About his words, I just can be thankful, he put the bar quite high with his description. [Laughs] But I'm also glad with his confidence on me to this huge task."

Audio samples of the songs that will appear on the upcoming second album from Romero's LORDS OF BLACK band can be streamed in the YouTube clip below.

 

Blackmore plans to film and record the upcoming performances for future release.
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Tears I Will Be

lordsofbalckiialbum.jpg.c1849e89f7343f1c

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

No Ritchie????

 

Ritchie Blackmore & singer Ian Gillan tell different stories in new statements.

It appears there will be some "Smoke on the Water" at April's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony, but only after some fire between the past and present factions of the band.

In a nutshell, the current lineup of Deep Purple will be performing April 8 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, and founding guitarist Ritchie Blackmore will not be attending. But it's not that clean-cut.

Deep Purple on Its Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction: 'It's a Somewhat Complicated Situation'

Responding to a Facebook post from Blackmore saying that he had been banned from participating by current band manager Bruce Payne, singer Ian Gillan released a statement Friday (Feb. 19) clarifying the band's position. Disappointed that current members Steve Morse and Don Airey were not to be inducted with the band, Gillan says that he, Deep Purple Mk. II bassist Roger Glover and founding drummer Ian Paice presented "a compromise" to the Rock Hall that "DP inductees will accept the awards and then the living breathing Deep Purple will perform." In addition to Gillan, Paice and Glover, original vocalist Rod Evans, the late founding keyboardist Jon Lord and Mk. III frontman David Coverdale and bassist Glenn Hughes are to be inducted, through original bassist Nick Simper has been left out with no explanation from the Rock Hall.

Gillan's statement adds that, "It should be stressed that there is no slight intended nor any desire to upset anyone regarding this decision; it is purely a mark of respect to Steve and Don. I spoke with David Coverdale last week and he expressed complete understanding of the way it was being handled; thanks David you're a Gent. Outside of this event there are no circumstances under which a 'reunion' could or would take place. So, let's all get up there, shake hands, smile for the cameras and get it done with dignity and respect for all the existing and past members of a very special family."

N.W.A, Cheap Trick, Chicago, Deep Purple & Steve Miller Are 2016 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductees

Blackmore posted a message on his official site Thursday that the guitarist was "honored" by the induction and "was discussing the possibility of attending, until we received correspondence from the President of the Rock Hall of Fame who said that Bruce Payne...had said 'No'.......!!!!! Therefore Ritchie will not be attending the ceremony. He sincerely thanks all the fans that voted for him for their support."

 

Payne, who's been managing Deep Purple since the mid-'70s, told Billboard on Friday that Blackmore "wasn't banned. They just wanted to play with the current band. There's a difference." Back in December, Paice toldBillboard that he, Gillan and Glover were upset about the exclusions, particularly of Morse, who's been with Deep Purple since 1994, and Airey, who replaced Lord in 2001.

"The lineup we have now has been together the longest of any incarnation," Paice said. "Quite honestly, they should've included Steve and Don." And perhaps short-lived guitarist Tommy Bolin and frontman Joe Lynn Turner? "Everybody who's ever been involved with the band, even for a short time, is instrumental in making it work and insuring it still exists to this day," Paice acknowledges. "So I think if you're gonna do it everybody should have been invited to join the club."

Deep Purple is currently working on a new album with producer Bob Ezrin in Nashville. Blackmore, who quit Deep Purple for a second time in 1993, released a new album, All Our Yesterdays, with Blackmore's Night -- the Renaissance band he leads with wife Candice Night -- in September and is planning to play three Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow & Guests concerts this summer in Europe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Stryder1978 said:

No Ritchie????

 

Ritchie Blackmore & singer Ian Gillan tell different stories in new statements.

It appears there will be some "Smoke on the Water" at April's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony, but only after some fire between the past and present factions of the band.

In a nutshell, the current lineup of Deep Purple will be performing April 8 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, and founding guitarist Ritchie Blackmore will not be attending. But it's not that clean-cut.

Deep Purple on Its Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction: 'It's a Somewhat Complicated Situation'

Responding to a Facebook post from Blackmore saying that he had been banned from participating by current band manager Bruce Payne, singer Ian Gillan released a statement Friday (Feb. 19) clarifying the band's position. Disappointed that current members Steve Morse and Don Airey were not to be inducted with the band, Gillan says that he, Deep Purple Mk. II bassist Roger Glover and founding drummer Ian Paice presented "a compromise" to the Rock Hall that "DP inductees will accept the awards and then the living breathing Deep Purple will perform." In addition to Gillan, Paice and Glover, original vocalist Rod Evans, the late founding keyboardist Jon Lord and Mk. III frontman David Coverdale and bassist Glenn Hughes are to be inducted, through original bassist Nick Simper has been left out with no explanation from the Rock Hall.

Gillan's statement adds that, "It should be stressed that there is no slight intended nor any desire to upset anyone regarding this decision; it is purely a mark of respect to Steve and Don. I spoke with David Coverdale last week and he expressed complete understanding of the way it was being handled; thanks David you're a Gent. Outside of this event there are no circumstances under which a 'reunion' could or would take place. So, let's all get up there, shake hands, smile for the cameras and get it done with dignity and respect for all the existing and past members of a very special family."

N.W.A, Cheap Trick, Chicago, Deep Purple & Steve Miller Are 2016 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductees

Blackmore posted a message on his official site Thursday that the guitarist was "honored" by the induction and "was discussing the possibility of attending, until we received correspondence from the President of the Rock Hall of Fame who said that Bruce Payne...had said 'No'.......!!!!! Therefore Ritchie will not be attending the ceremony. He sincerely thanks all the fans that voted for him for their support."

 

Payne, who's been managing Deep Purple since the mid-'70s, told Billboard on Friday that Blackmore "wasn't banned. They just wanted to play with the current band. There's a difference." Back in December, Paice toldBillboard that he, Gillan and Glover were upset about the exclusions, particularly of Morse, who's been with Deep Purple since 1994, and Airey, who replaced Lord in 2001.

"The lineup we have now has been together the longest of any incarnation," Paice said. "Quite honestly, they should've included Steve and Don." And perhaps short-lived guitarist Tommy Bolin and frontman Joe Lynn Turner? "Everybody who's ever been involved with the band, even for a short time, is instrumental in making it work and insuring it still exists to this day," Paice acknowledges. "So I think if you're gonna do it everybody should have been invited to join the club."

Deep Purple is currently working on a new album with producer Bob Ezrin in Nashville. Blackmore, who quit Deep Purple for a second time in 1993, released a new album, All Our Yesterdays, with Blackmore's Night -- the Renaissance band he leads with wife Candice Night -- in September and is planning to play three Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow & Guests concerts this summer in Europe.

I'm a bit confused;  is Blackmore being inducted with the band, and simply not performing with the remaining members?  It'd obviously be ridiculous (not to mention scandalous) if we wasn't included.  No Ritchie, no DP, it's that simple.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/23/2016 at 8:30 PM, JohnOsbourne said:

I'm a bit confused;  is Blackmore being inducted with the band, and simply not performing with the remaining members?  It'd obviously be ridiculous (not to mention scandalous) if we wasn't included.  No Ritchie, no DP, it's that simple.

Seriously!  What have they done of any note since Ritchie left the band?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...