California Fires

Reggie29

14 hours ago, RainbowElf said:

Very sad and tragic situation that is happening on the West Coast, all because of carelessness and selfishness.

The firework merely started the fires, the cause is CA's draconian environmental laws. That's all I'll say here. Those interested in this aspect of the catastrophe can google it.

13 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

The firework merely started the fires, the cause is CA's draconian environmental laws. That's all I'll say here. Those interested in this aspect of the catastrophe can google it.

100% correct Steve.  Decades of mismanagement by tree hugging politicians, and then another more recent decade of forcing power companies from maintaining their current infrastructure and transmission lines, and forcing them to move too quickly toward "renewables" which have proven unreliable at best while neglecting the other needed maintenance.

5th largest economy in the world (California) should have the BEST power grid in the USA, and be able to figure out this stuff long before allowing half the state to go up in flames.

10 hours ago, Strider said:

Great article!  It describes the quagmire this state is in over fire suppression and forest management. Not trying to get into politics, but right now two sides are just talking at each other. The administration saying it is all about forest management and not climate, and then the state government saying it is about climate, and management is a Federal issue. And on the sidelines are fire fighter unions and others including power companies and liability lawyers all sticking their dicks into the pot too.

Key things to clean from the article is that during pre historic times, long before California was settled by any number of people. Wild fires burned each season and scotched many more millions of acres than now.... with nobody starting them, and long before industrial emissions could affect climate.

So what do we do? Prescribed burns? Or just let stuff burn when it does start only attempting to save lives ---and any fools who build homes in indefensible zones too bad. Problem is politicians, lawyers, unions--- try doing any of that. So nothing changes.  And how do you tell thousands of communities that allowed development in wildfire zones, too bad, we are redlining your home, won't try to save it.

What may change the thing with that are insurance companies. Right now many insurance companies WILL NOT write policies in some areas that they used to write. No fire insurance and no bank will write a mortgage. Then any sale must be cash buyers only.  

There are too many people in California, and at some point lawmakers need to STOP permitting more development in wild land areas. But undoing that is difficult, too much money in housing development.

12 hours ago, kipper said:

Great article!  It describes the quagmire this state is in over fire suppression and forest management. Not trying to get into politics, but right now two sides are just talking at each other. The administration saying it is all about forest management and not climate, and then the state government saying it is about climate, and management is a Federal issue. And on the sidelines are fire fighter unions and others including power companies and liability lawyers all sticking their dicks into the pot too.

Key things to clean from the article is that during pre historic times, long before California was settled by any number of people. Wild fires burned each season and scotched many more millions of acres than now.... with nobody starting them, and long before industrial emissions could affect climate.

So what do we do? Prescribed burns? Or just let stuff burn when it does start only attempting to save lives ---and any fools who build homes in indefensible zones too bad. Problem is politicians, lawyers, unions--- try doing any of that. So nothing changes.  And how do you tell thousands of communities that allowed development in wildfire zones, too bad, we are redlining your home, won't try to save it.

What may change the thing with that are insurance companies. Right now many insurance companies WILL NOT write policies in some areas that they used to write. No fire insurance and no bank will write a mortgage. Then any sale must be cash buyers only.  

There are too many people in California, and at some point lawmakers need to STOP permitting more development in wild land areas. But undoing that is difficult, too much money in housing development.

People who decide to live in such areas (I live in forestry as well, not in Cali though) need to understand the potential dangers and accept those dangers. Same as people living in trailer parks along tornado alley, living close to major fault lines, volcanos, and hurricane zones.

IMO, if a wildfire burned down my home you sure would not see me on the news crying and wailing about how tragic this is (it is but that is not the point). I would be saying that I chose to live here, knew the risks and oh well, time to move on. Then again where I live the forestry is managed very well and major firebreaks are required.

Edited by Mr.Bones

3 hours ago, Mr.Bones said:

People who decide to live in such areas (I live in forestry as well, not in Cali though) need to understand the potential dangers and accept those dangers. Same as people living in trailer parks along tornado alley, living close to major fault lines, volcanos, and hurricane zones.

IMO, if a wildfire burned down my home you sure would not see me on the news crying and wailing about how tragic this is (it is but that is not the point). I would be saying that I chose to live here, knew the risks and oh well, time to move on. Then again where I live the forestry is managed very well and major firebreaks are required.

I agree. And the scary thing about these fires as seen in the current dry conditions in the west, when combined with months of drought, long periods of low humidity, days of record heat, and then if strong winds are added to the mix and there is an ignition.....  it isn't just the areas surrounded by trees or in mountains that will go up in huge flames.

I remember the fire up near Santa Rosa in California (wine country). While not too far from hills and grasslands, many areas that burned were in the town where homes and buildings were considerable distances from any wild land fuel sources.  When the winds get to 70mph the burning embers can travel long distances and then embed themselves in showers of sparks into wood siding on homes. It is like holding a torch to your eves and siding, and with the heat it all goes up.

Edited by kipper

• 1 month later...