New 10/9/72 upgrade

ZepHead315

Anyone heard this yet?

LED ZEPPELIN LIVE Vinyl (2017 upgrade) - Net Source

Lineage: Bootleg Vinyl Record (No Label Credit) > 96.0KHz/24bit WAV > Sonic Stage Mastering Studio SBM 44.1KHz/16Bit (Super Bit Mapping) WAV > EAC > FLAC 

NS-601.jpgNS-601B.jpg

Bron-Y-Aur Stomp is from 10/4, but the rest of the release is a portion of the 10/9 tape, apparently sourced from vinyl and cleaned up. It came out on Dime a couple of months ago but just got uploaded to Black Beauty. I just did a listen of Stand By Me and it sounds much warmer and brighter to my ears. Any thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Ocean73 said:

Let Me Get Back To 1972 by the H Bomb label was what I previously had before this release.Not sure if theyre from the same tape or not but this ones much brighter and clearer.

The source tape is bright and clear. The H-Bomb silvers (there are two incarnations) are probably sourced from a 2nd or 3rd gen. Levels are very low and if you crank up the volume, there's a significant increase of hiss. The current vinyl rip sounds fresher and more dynamic. 

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, ZepHead315 said:

I uploaded the rest of this upgrade to Youtube (minus Bron-Y-Aur Stomp from the 10/4 show):

Jeebus wept. I guess 1972 is when they were the perfect blend of exploration and precision/clarity??? This is incredible, and leads me to two questions....

1. What 1972 boots are of outstanding quality?

2. Is there really a possibility of a "How the East Was Won" release? - or put another way, is there multi-tracks of one (or more) of the Japanese concerts that has similar BEAST MODE playing/singing to OTHAFA?? Is it even possible to confirm such a question???

1 hour ago, rm2551 said:

Jeebus wept. I guess 1972 is when they were the perfect blend of exploration and precision/clarity??? This is incredible, and leads me to two questions....

2. Is there really a possibility of a "How the East Was Won" release? - or put another way, is there multi-tracks of one (or more) of the Japanese concerts that has similar BEAST MODE playing/singing to OTHAFA?? Is it even possible to confirm such a question???

Seems like the only known multi-tracks of 72 are Long Beach. One would think Zep would've documented some if their second Japan tour but...someone more knowledgeable than I might know if there was any attempts. I'd say no audience tape from 72 qualifies as outstanding, sonically but my favs are Adelaide, Melbourne, Charlotte, Baltimore, Seattle first night (incomplete), and LA. 

11 hours ago, rm2551 said:

1. IMHO, the best sounding boot from 1972 is 10/2 Tokyo. It's crystal clear and balanced really well and it's very atmospheric. The band is a tad rusty at the start, and Plant's voice is rough for the first few songs, but it's overall a very good performance. Seek out EVSD's "Led Zeppelin Is My Brother" if you can.

It's been a while since I listened to them, but I recall the Australasian shows having really good quality (with the exception of Brisbane). In addition to the shows Porgie mentioned above, I'd add the second night in Uniondale (6/15). The tapers are pretty talkative and a bit annoying, but it's pretty clear and the performance is out of this world. Outstanding Immigrant Song and my personal favorite version of Dazed from '72. 

2. There is no evidence of any of the 1972 Japan shows being multitracked, although we know that the last two nights of the 1971 Japanese tour were. Btw, does anyone know if the 9/23/71 Tokyo show was multitracked? For some reason, I recall there being speculation about that. Regardless, hopefully they'll see release someday soon!

4 hours ago, ZepHead315 said:

1. IMHO, the best sounding boot from 1972 is 10/2 Tokyo. It's crystal clear and balanced really well and it's very atmospheric. The band is a tad rusty at the start, and Plant's voice is rough for the first few songs, but it's overall a very good performance. Seek out EVSD's "Led Zeppelin Is My Brother" if you can.

It's been a while since I listened to them, but I recall the Australasian shows having really good quality (with the exception of Brisbane). In addition to the shows Porgie mentioned above, I'd add the second night in Uniondale (6/15). The tapers are pretty talkative and a bit annoying, but it's pretty clear and the performance is out of this world. Outstanding Immigrant Song and my personal favorite version of Dazed from '72. 

2. There is no evidence of any of the 1972 Japan shows being multitracked, although we know that the last two nights of the 1971 Japanese tour were. Btw, does anyone know if the 9/23/71 Tokyo show was multitracked? For some reason, I recall there being speculation about that. Regardless, hopefully they'll see release someday soon!

Don't know how I forgot the 10/2 tape! That's a really clear tape, though the performance is a bit average. Yes, Uniondale 6/15 is one of my favs too, really great performance. 

Thanks guys, getting the whole Japan run now - found a "complete live in Japan 27CD Box" download as well as the 'Led Zeppelin is my brother' specific one, so I'll have some listening to do as usual (and bloody struggle to get to them)...

Muchos gracias. :thumbsup:

Id recommend the Patriot label "Presentation 1972" release too for the 10/02 show. Has less EQ than EV and has an overall warmer sound. It's one of my favourite shows for sure.

In terms of other rec '72 shows; Charlotte and San Bernadino are two really good AUD tapes too.

Archived