The Mothership Cover

tyedye

The building on Mothership.

Is that image based on a real building somewhere?

LedZeppelinMothership.jpg

not that i know of, but it (the building )is based on a previous shepard fairey graphic for the 2006 south by southwest

in austin tx.

the rest of the illustration can be traced to the artwork "war is over" for the obey giant website that fairey designed...

I won't buy Mothership anytime soon......no need really. Maybe down the road just to have it..

but...I really love the cover. There's beauty in simplicity. It's use of minimal colors...dark and majestic looking shapes. The first time I saw it it instantly reminded me of my WEA New Zealand "Ten Legendary Singles" box set.

not the same artist...but very similar IMO. (btw, I bought this set brand new in the mid 80's for like $30....today it's going for up to $300+ ;)

http://danvollmer.fotopic.net/p7795714.html front

http://danvollmer.fotopic.net/p7795713.html back

It's by the same guy who did the cover for the latest studio l.p. by The Smashing Pumpkins. I also thought that the cover of "Mothership" was being taken from the cover of "The Song Remains The Same". I still wonder if there were not some point being made there with that...

ahhh...here is the link to all fairley art at daily swarm

How much did this dude get paid for the Zep cover? In the words of Yosser Hughes (lead character in British Drama TV show, early 80's - for those of you not familiar with the works of the brillant Alan Bleasdale), "I could do that".

At a glance,I thought it was loosely based on TSRTS album cover art.I was way off base on that one.

I like the Mothership cover,but after seeing those other designs,it just seems lazy (and very lame).

I made the TSRTS connection too, maybe Fairey did too? I've no intention of buying Mothership but the art is available as a T-shirt in my local HMV and I'm well tempted by that! I'm just not sure if people are going to look at me and think, "Huh, New Zeppelin Fan!". :rolleyes:

If the designer's Texas based or his SXSW poster was there's a chance a Texan Zep-Head might know the building.

At a glance,I thought it was loosely based on TSRTS album cover art.I was way off base on that one.

I like the Mothership cover,but after seeing those other designs,it just seems lazy (and very lame).

Man, that is lazy... I would think that getting to design a zeppelin cover would be a big deal for anybody, but it's obvious the guy just used the exact same artwork from those other pieces. I liked the cover 'til I saw that!

Don't worry, they'll remaster it in a few years. :lol:

Beatbo is right, that's funny.

THAT'S funny, right there....i don't care who you are....

That's funny too because I know so many people who say that whenever they hear something funny.

I'm currently reading The definative Biography by Ritchie Yorke and have just come to a part in the book where it talks about The Song Remains the Same.

As some brought up, TSRTS has a similar cover, a theatre.

While the world flocked into movie theatres to experience TSRTS, LZ members were secretly involved in stenuous rehersal sessions at an old movie theatre owned by Emerson, Lake and Palmer in suburban London. Even before the momentous annoucement of a return to the live stage was torpedoed to the media in early Feb, the band was getting its new concert act together.

There is surely a connection between the cover of TSRTS and where they were rehearsing.

We all know that LZ were also rehearsing for the 02.

Anyone know where LZ were rehearsing for sure? Are there any correlation to the cover of Mothership?

Maybe I am way off base here. :huh:

tsrts.jpg

ada5228348a0dc9e93446110L.jpg

Archived