Physical Graffiti - SIngle LP version(?)

dpat

Okay, let's just say the Zepps did a single version of Physical Graffiti, with only songs recorded in 1974(***).

In which order would you place the tracks for Side 1 and Side 2? 

HERE'S MY HUMBLE OPINION that I think would sound pretty cool WITH OR WITHOUT some liquid or chemical or herbal enhancement:
***(and I am gonna cheat by having the LP start with "Bron-Yr-Aur," so f--- me if y'all's ain't be cool wit' dat!...🤗). 

SIDE ONE:
bron-yr-aur
trampled under foot
wanton song
kashmir
ten years gone

SIDE TWO:
custard pie
in my time of dying
in the light
sick again

WHAT IS YOUR VERSION? 

Edited by dpat

Side 1: (might be a bit of a squeeze)

The Rover

IMTOD

Kashmir

Side 2: 

In the Light

Bron-Yr-Aur

Down By the Seaside

Ten Years Gone

Honestly it's very difficult to narrow it down. I love every track on the album but the four epics make it impossible for all of this to be 1 LP.

Quite a challenge to cut this up given how this is my favorite album ever recorded by anyone.  Ever.   So, for Physical Graffiiti on one disc I would say ...

Side 1:

Custard Pie

Kashmir

The Rover

Trampled Underfoot

Side 2:

In the Light

Ten Years Gone

Down by the Seaside

Bron-Yr-Aur

It Might be tight on one LP, but I feel this list would help get the vibe from the double album across a bit.  Maybe a bit lz3 in its acoustic leanings on side B, but hey this is Zeppelin after all. 

• 3 weeks later...

I tried, but my fave songs are just too long to allow four tracks on each side. Editing them for time is not an option, so I think PG stands as is. However, I tried substituting tracks from "Houses of the Holy" with some tracks from PG and it worked out a little closer to an acceptable 22 min running time per side.

Edited by OTIGOJI
bungle

The only way to make it a technically feasible/decent-sounding single LP - and one in the 40-45 minute run-time range of all their other studio albums - would've been to cut one of the 1974 tracks - which is probably why they made it a double album, as all the '74 tracks are excellent.

But if I were going to make a single LP from the '74 tracks, I'd cut In the Light. It's a great track, but the other two long tracks (In My Time of Dying, Kashmir) are so strong that IMHO In the Light is the one that has to go.

As for sequencing, I would actually just stick with the running order they chose, minus In the Light and the pre-'74 tracks. I think the result is pretty good.:

Side A (approx 21 min)

Custard Pie

In My Time of Dying

Trampled Under Foot

Side B (approx 23-1/2 min)

Kashmir

Ten Years Gone

The Wanton Song

Sick Again

I'm glad Zep made Physical Graffiti a double album, to be sure. However, had they made it a single album and therefore held back all the pre-74 tracks plus In the Light, then Coda would've ended up being the best outtakes album in the history of music.

In that scenario, it's unlikely Jimmy Page would've resorted to creating the fake "studio" and "soundcheck" tracks out of the Royal Albert Hall live versions of We're Gonna Groove and I Can't Quit You Baby. And it's unlikely he would've felt the need to bring Robert Plant in to write Lyrics and add vocals to Walter's Walk.

So with those three out of the picture, Coda might've looked something like the following:

Side A (approx 22-1/2 min)
The Rover 5:36
Poor Tom 3:02
Houses of the Holy 4:01
Night Flight 3:36
Bron-Yr-Aur 2:06

Black Country Woman 4:24

Side B (approx 23-1/2 min)

Darlene 5:06
Down by the Seaside 5:14
Boogie with Stu 3:51
Bonzo's Montreux 4:22
Wearing and Tearing 5:27

Edited by tmtomh

On 5/16/2019 at 4:43 PM, dpat said:

Okay, let's just say the Zepps did a single version of Physical Graffiti, with only songs recorded in 1974(***).

In which order would you place the tracks for Side 1 and Side 2? 

HERE'S MY HUMBLE OPINION that I think would sound pretty cool WITH OR WITHOUT some liquid or chemical or herbal enhancement:
***(and I am gonna cheat by having the LP start with "Bron-Yr-Aur," so f--- me if y'all's ain't be cool wit' dat!...🤗). 

SIDE ONE:
bron-yr-aur
trampled under foot
wanton song
kashmir
ten years gone

SIDE TWO:
custard pie
in my time of dying
in the light
sick again

WHAT IS YOUR VERSION? 

Every LZ album commenced with what I would describe as an "impact song".  As beautiful as Bron-Yr-Aur is, it would never be a starter.

Here’s mine:

***side one***

trampled underfoot (5:36)

wanton song (4:10)

custard pie (4:14)

in my time of dying (11:06)

***side two***

in the light (8:47)

sick again (4:43)

kashmir (8:29)

the rover (5:37)

R😎