2020 NFL Thread

Walter

6 hours ago, Bong-Man said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/tom-dempsey-former-nfl-record-setting-kicker-dies-at-73-after-battle-with-coronavirus/ar-BB12blCZ?ocid=spartandhp

RIP Tom.  I was 10 years old, and I knew he was gonna make it.  It's still featured in a walk-up video @ Canton in the Football Hall of Fame.  The Lions actually won out after this game and made the Playoffs, only to lose to Dallas 5 - 0.  I remember Alex Karras throwing his helmet down in disgust.  He was an outspoken hater of kickers forever after that game.  

One of the last of the old-school straight-ahead kickers. R.I.P. Tom.

Because I was overseas I could only read about most of the games played during the 1983 NFL season. Which means I missed most of the Raiders Super Bowl season. 

I am revisiting that season now, starting with the Raiders first game of the season at Cincinnati September 4, 1983. The Bengals of Ken Anderson, Archie Griffin, Chris Collinsworth, Anthony Munoz, and coach Forrest Gregg. God, Riverfront Stadium was an ugly place to play. No atmosphere or charm at all. Marv Albert and John Brodie on the call.

1983 Week 2: Houston Oilers @ L.A. Raiders. This is an unrecognizable Oiler team...no Bum Phillips (gone to New Orleans), no Dan Pastorini (traded) no Earl Campbell (hurt). Instead Archie Manning was quarterback, while Kenny Stabler was QB in New Orleans. Weird.

It says a lot about Houston's futility as a franchise when you consider they had 16 different coaches in their 26 years in Houston (1960-1996).

Not a big crowd at the L.A. Coliseum...it looks like somewhere between 40,000 and 50,000. This was the Raiders second season in L.A.

Edited by Strider

Week 3 September 19, 1983: Miami Dolphins @ L.A. Raiders. A Monday Night Game and besides the Raiders winning, this game is historic for being Dan Marino's NFL debut. Marino replaced Miami QB David Woodley in the fourth quarter and led the Dolphins to two touchdowns. You could tell the David Woodley era was not for long.

No tape of the complete game is out there but this features all the scoring drives.

Sunday football. I could find no footage for the Raiders fourth game of the season...Raiders at Denver. So I move on to week 5 and what turned out to be a great game and a Super Bowl preview: Raiders at Washington. Unfortunately I never got to see the game as I was in Germany at the time. I've only seen highlights and read press reports.

Washington were the defending Super Bowl champs from 1982. NBC and Marv Albert on the call.  No complete game available...just this upload of all the scoring drives and big plays.

Week 6 matchup: Kansas City at L.A. Raiders October 9, 1983. Another nail biter. Marcus Allen and Ted 'The Mad Stork' Hendricks were the heroes of the game. Marcus Allen showed his versatility by running, catching, blocking, throwing a td pass, and recovering a fumble in the end zone for a td. This was the Bill Kenney-Theotis Brown Chiefs...Len Dawson was up in the broadcast booth.

Edited by Strider

15 hours ago, Walter said:

Having my boys over for the draft this Thursday. First “real” sporting event in quite some time! Looking forward to it. 

Hey Walter.  Hope all is well.  So what is the deal with Prescott?  Is he going to hold out?  Or is it up in the air until after the draft?  I am wondering if the Bills are waiting for the dust to settle and grab whichever QB is left for a backup to Allen?  We need a backup.  I am guessing Beane will go for an established vet?  Not sure if they can land a guy like Carr or Newton?  If they are still unemployed?  But I expect a couple of good ones to not be signed.  I now think the Bills are ready to go for it. But I am hoping this damn Virus does not kill our season.

5 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Hey Walter.  Hope all is well.  So what is the deal with Prescott?  Is he going to hold out?  Or is it up in the air until after the draft?  I am wondering if the Bills are waiting for the dust to settle and grab whichever QB is left for a backup to Allen?  We need a backup.  I am guessing Beane will go for an established vet?  Not sure if they can land a guy like Carr or Newton?  If they are still unemployed?  But I expect a couple of good ones to not be signed.  I now think the Bills are ready to go for it. But I am hoping this damn Virus does not kill our season.

Agreed, but if they can do the season they will. Your Bills have put together a great team, with money still to spend. No idea what’s going on in Dallas. They should’ve done a deal last offseason, but now the price is going up and up...

Hope you and the Mrs and kids, etc are doing well.

On 4/19/2020 at 4:58 PM, Walter said:

Having my boys over for the draft this Thursday. First “real” sporting event in quite some time! Looking forward to it. 

Your family or your fantasy league members?

Tom Brady can't afford to lose a season. If it's postponed to 2021 that's another year older he'll be. I am full of admiration and awe for how long Brady has been able to maintain greatness. But even he will eventually succumb to Father Time.

Edited by Strider

11 hours ago, Strider said:

Tom Brady can't afford to lose a season. If it's postponed to 2021 that's another year older he'll be. I am full of admiration and awe for how long Brady has been able to maintain greatness. But even he will eventually succumb to Father Time.

If they shorten the season it would be a huge help for Brady at 43.  Are you kidding me?  43 in the NFL is ancient. A shortened season would help him.  But I do not believe they are good enough to win the Super Bowl, let alone get there

19 hours ago, Walter said:

Agreed, but if they can do the season they will. Your Bills have put together a great team, with money still to spend. No idea what’s going on in Dallas. They should’ve done a deal last offseason, but now the price is going up and up...

Hope you and the Mrs and kids, etc are doing well.

Same to all  of you Walter

18 hours ago, Strider said:

My close friends in the neighborhood. We’ve already decided if one of us gets we will all probably get it. Not being irresponsible.

One is a Brady fan and another is a Bucs fan...they are crowing now with Gronk heading to the Bay.  Our fourth is a ‘skins fan...  We all have our faults! 🤣🤣🤣

Yes, we are all in the league together. 

Edited by Walter

4 hours ago, Walter said:

My close friends in the neighborhood. We’ve already decided if one of us gets we will all probably get it. Not being irresponsible.

One is a Brady fan and another is a Bucs fan...they are crowing now with Gronk heading to the Bay.  Our fourth is a ‘skins fan...  We all have our faults! 🤣🤣🤣

Yes, we are all in the league together. 

Gronk to Tampa Bay? I just heard about this. For only a fourth round draft pick?

7 minutes ago, Strider said:

Gronk to Tampa Bay? I just heard about this. For only a fourth round draft pick?

At least BB got something for his retired player. I don’t think Gronk would come back for any other player. 

We’re already working up a plan to go and see the Saints/Bucs game this season - if possible.

11 hours ago, Walter said:

At least BB got something for his retired player. I don’t think Gronk would come back for any other player. 

We’re already working up a plan to go and see the Saints/Bucs game this season - if possible.

If by some miracle Brady and his boy are still playing in 2021, at the ancient age of 44, they play our division.  They play at NE.  Imagine the circus that would be.  And the Bills will get their shot at them. I sure hope we have a season.  My boys are going to be a wrecking machine

Dammit. San Francisco got the player I was hoping the Raiders would have chosen...Javon Kinlaw, DT from South Carolina.

Raiders could have picked Kinlaw at #12 and still get a receiver at #19. Instead they use #12 to pick Ruggs from Alabama and 49ers get Kinlaw at #14.

1 hour ago, Walter said:

CeeCee....err..CeeDee...! 😉

We’ll see what happens. They’ve got a great 1-2-3 wr combo at least.

I love how every other team's coaches, GMs, and owners looked normal and were in their homes but Dallas owner Jerry Jones looked like he was in an escape pod and coach Mike McCarthy looked like one of Jerry's kids from the Jerry Lewis telathon. :D

Edited by Strider

49 minutes ago, Strider said:

I love how every other team's coaches, GMs, and owners looked normal and were in their homes but Dallas owner Jerry Jones looked like he was in an escape pod and coach Mike McCarthy looked like one of Jerry's kids from the Jerry Lewis telathon. :D

Jerry was on his $250 million yacht. I guess that comes along with owning the highest valued franchise in sports. :D 
McCarthy did look...large. 

7 hours ago, Walter said:

Jerry was on his $250 million yacht. I guess that comes along with owning the highest valued franchise in sports. :D 
McCarthy did look...large. 

They say Dallas did good getting Lamb.  Shocker of the night was Green Bay taking a QB.  Unreal.  Miami is set up pretty nice. We have to be damn careful when we play them.  Fitz is going to be the guy for now.   They were smart with that deal with Green Bay.  Got an extra pick.  My boys pick 22.  Not sure if they trade up now?   Or what they will do?  If there is a good pass rusher left, maybe that is what I do.  We are ready to go at most positions and some are saying we have the best 1-2-3 receiver set in the game