Rolling Stones vs. Led Zeppelin- year to year, who wins out?

9 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

A shame as those were great bands / musicians. Suzi Quatro was the first woman rock star, the first to play an instrument competently and rock her ass off. No Suzi, no Patti Smith, Chrissy Hynde, Joan Jett, and most of the 90's lady musicians such as Tori Amos (genius) & Melissa Etheridge.

Suzi is, IMO, the most underrated rock musician period, just for her influence alone.

Nah sorry, don't agree, a blip in the early seventies who had a few hit singles. Nothing more than a novelty pop music act. Comparing Quatro to Patti Smith is like comparing a scribbled shopping list to Shakespeare.

This morning BBC 6 Music had the wonderful John Cooper Clarke (poet and rock icon ) on the Radcliffe and Maconie show, he requested an Elvis track (Blue Moon (sun session) which sounded lovely on a sunny Sunday moring . On yesterdays show they played Hearbreaker by Led Zeppelin.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000lmb7

Edited by anniemouse

7 hours ago, JTM said:

Nah sorry, don't agree, a blip in the early seventies who had a few hit singles. Nothing more than a novelty pop music act. Comparing Quatro to Patti Smith is like comparing a scribbled shopping list to Shakespeare.

I was not trying to compare one to the other, I was only pointing out Quatro was the first, not the best but the first and indeed Smith and all the other women I mentioned themselves listed Quatro as a main influence.

15 hours ago, RainbowElf said:

Leather Tuscadero

Hubba hubba....

Even sexier was Roz Kelly, the woman who played Pinky Tuscadero. Unfortunately Roz is actually nuttier than squirrel shit, she is still alive but has a nasty penchant for trying to kill her neighbors with a shotgun.

Just saw the Paul Lynde Halloween Special (Amazon Prime) from 1976 which had Margaret Hamilton (wicket witch of the west) as co-host. Talk about cheese factor: Donnie & Marie, Kiss miming three performances (badly, including Beth). Its funny, I remember watching that live when I was a kid and thinking how cool it all was. Still like everyone on the show (except Kiss) but it is dated.

I do wonder how history will view the Stones & Zeppelin as well as other bands 100 years from now.

20 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

I was not trying to compare one to the other, I was only pointing out Quatro was the first, not the best but the first and indeed Smith and all the other women I mentioned themselves listed Quatro as a main influence.

You did, yes. I am though shocked that Patti Smith would cite Suzi Quatro as an influence, "Can the Can",  c'mon now...

Edited by JTM

1 hour ago, JTM said:

You did, yes. I am though shocked that Patti Smith would cite Suzi Quatro as an influence, "Can the Can",  c'mon now...

It's the context, not the substance I am referring to. Smith and other women rockers cite Quatro as in influence not so much for her artistic achievements (or lack thereof), but because of what she did as a whole. No other woman ever did what Quatro did up until that time (attitude, hard pop, played instrument). She showed women that a woman in rock need not be meek and demure, have a smooth voice, or acquiesce to the whims of her male counterparts within the band.

Both Grace Slick & Janis Joplin were true pioneers however Slick did not lead the Airplane and Joplin left BB to have a group formed around her by the record company but they listened to the producer, not Joplin. Quatro was one of the first woman to say, "my way or the highway" and actually get her way. The only other exception was Jinx Dawson from Coven but most were more scared of her than influenced by her which is a shame.

So they reference her kinda in a glass ceiling kind of way.

• 2 years later...
On 7/27/2020 at 5:31 PM, NorthShoreBlues said:

Yup i agree. I do think however they had some creative sparks feom time to time. I think Some Girls 1978 was their last great album. Tattoo You was huge in 1981 but most of those songs came from scrapping the outtakes barrel.

Why does it matter when the Tattoo You songs were written? They released a really good album in 1981 period.

• 6 months later...

Been awhile since I've been on this site, but I'm pretty sure what Zeppelin's musicians would say about the Stones "winning" because they had a higher profile, or some other non-music-related distinction. They'd say something like "we didn't, and don't, give a damn about the Jagger/Richards profile crap.  The music is what matters.  We stayed out of the limelight on purpose, and let our tours and albums do the talking.  We preferred it that way."