What Are You Listening To At This Moment?

The Pagemeister

Recently I've been listening to a lot of stuff by Jimi Hendrix (for example "All Along the Watchtower") and Eric Clapton (for example "Crossroads"). I'm considering buying Martin Scorsese Presents the Blues: Jimi Hendrix & Martin Scorsese Presents the Blues: Eric Clapton (I understand that these both feature what have been selected as the artist's ten prime blues tracks, not just ten of their best tracks interpreted as being modern blues songs regardless of their actual sound or influence). Still, sounds interesting, plus if anything Martin Scorsese has shown that he has a very developed taste in music. "All Along the Watchtower" and "Crossroads" are both incredible songs (and both are radically reinterpreted covers coincidentally). They both feel perfect, even though Hendrix may not have been fully satisfied with his version, and Clapton has noted that Cream's take on Robert Johnson's "Cross Road Blues" was in the wrong time signature. I first heard both of these songs a long time ago, I just happening to be relistening to them now. They're both the kind of song where you can listen to the whole thing over and over again and love the whole thing. And "All Along the Watchtower" happens to be the feature on my Song of the Week segment

To explain, I do a segment called "Song of the Week" on my Facebook account on Mondays; I'm on the seventh week currently. The format that I've established since the first week is to post a link to the most convenient website with the song (so far it's been Youtube for all seven songs), then I'll write a small general statement about the song (such as its genre or some other menial detail about the song), followed by an official heading for the post (Song of the Week #(insert number here): "(insert title of song here)" - (insert name of artist here)), which is itself followed by an in depth description of the song (like a review or an examination).

The seven songs that I've chosen are listed below.

#1: "Stairway to Heaven" - Led Zeppelin. What can I say? It's been called overrated, it's been called a lot of things. It's been loved, it's been accused of carrying Satanic messages. But whatever it is, it's my favorite song, which is why I chose it to begin my weekly segment. The distinction once belonged to "Kid Charlemagne" which I still love, and is probably the first song I really listened to for the music (if you know what I mean).

#2: "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" - The Jimi Hendrix Experience. My favorite Hendrix song. Originally I was going to use "Kashmir", then "Achilles Last Stand", but I wanted to mix it up a little. I'd probably single this out as my second favorite song, but I don't know if I can choose beyond "Stairway to Heaven". When I think of Hendrix, I think of this song, as if it's his own life motif.

#3: "Sunshine of Your Love" - Cream. Brilliant Cream track. If I'd call "Stairway to Heaven" my favorite song, and "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" maybe my second favorite, would I perhaps call "Sunshine of Your Love" my third? Probably not, too many great songs. This might be my favorite Cream song though (but jeez there's also "White Room" and "Crossroads"). Mostly I chose this to keep in line with the classic rock that had been established by my previous choices. I'm not going to confine Song of the Week to being just classic rock songs. By accepting all music, there's an unlimited supply, assuming people don't stop making it (I'll grant that there might be a limited supply of songs that I love, but music is what it is).

#4: "Comfortably Numb" - Pink Floyd. A favorite of mine from The Wall, along with the three parts of "Another Brick in the Wall". Really love the feel of this song. Like "Stairway to Heaven", I can think of no other song like it. It expresses feelings of apathy, emptiness, and just numbness to me, especially the last solo.

#5: "Eruption" - Van Halen. A really cool guitar instrumental. Basically the whole song is a solo with a bit of drumming. The first time you hear it is definitely a holy shit moment, especially if you're aware that it's being done on a guitar (and most people are). At this point, I had decided to draw my choices from Guitar World's list of 100 greatest guitar solos (first 50 can be found here at Guitar World's site: http://www.guitarwor...olos?page=0%2C4; all 100 can be found here: http://guitar.about....00greateste.htm; I only post two links because the second link makes a mistake in the top 50, which Guitar World's website presumably has correct). Three of the four choices prior to this are on the list ("Stairway to Heaven" makes #1, "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" hits at #11, and "Comfortably Numb" is #4); despite a wonderful solo, "Sunshine of Your Love" did not make the list, a mistake in my opinion. "Eruption" is #2, and from here to the latest, I go chronologically, skipping gaps where a song has already been featured. Anyways, had I not decided to use the list, I would have chosen a song that I really loved, but "Eruption"'s still an awesome song (I'd give it 4/5).

#6: "Free Bird" - Lynyrd Skynyrd. Selected because it was the next on Guitar World's list (#3). I like this song, but it's a little slow and long for me: slow in the first half, long in the second. I really like how it transitions from being sentimental into a solo which really seems to fly. I don't listen to much Lynyrd Skynyrd (have heard "Sweet Alabama" plenty of times, Christ who hasn't?).

#7: "All Along the Watchtower" - The Jimi Hendrix Experience. In keeping with choosing songs off of Guitar World's list, this is #5 (my list skips from their third selection to their fifth because I had previously used their fourth, "Comfortably Numb"). The Experience is the first group to score two songs on my list, and I consider it almost the equal of "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)". My favorite cover ("All Along the Watchtower" was originally a Bob Dylan folk song).

If I continue to use Guitar World's list, the next song will be "November Rain" by Guns N' Roses, followed by Metallica's "One", the Eagles' "Hotel California", Ozzy's "Crazy Train", and Cream's "Crossroads" (and these songs combined with some of those that I've already selected would comprise Guitar World's top 10 guitar solos). "November Rain" is not a favorite of mine (I find it too long and over-sentimental), but I do think the solo is really cool. Slash's best work really gets the feel of the song and heightens it. But actually I'm kind of wondering if I should use Digital Dream Door's rock guitar solo list instead (link here: http://digitaldreamd...guitarsolo.html), because their list features "Sunshine of Your Love" (at #114 (seriously how can that many pitiful solos be regarded as better than "Sunshine of Your Love"'s?); not even on the top 100, but it's there). I could just do Guitar World's list then Digital Dream Door's, but I really feel like doing Digital Dream Door's. What a hard choice, teehee. Anyways, if I were to use Digital Dream Door's list for my material, the songs (combined with those on their list that I've already used) that make up their top ten guitar solos are "Maggot Brain" by Funkadelic, "Texas Flood" by Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble, "Highway Star" by Deep Purple, "Cause We've Ended as Lovers" by Jeff Beck, and "Hotel California" again. I'll try to post my selection for Song of the Week every Monday on this thread.

Edited by SelfDevouringSnake