2023-2024 NFL Season Thread

Walter

40 years ago today. January 22, 1984 was the last time the Raiders ended the season on top, winning Super Bowl XVIII in Tampa Bay. I was in Germany at the time and had to watch the game live in the wee hours of Monday morning over the Armed Forces Network. It's the best loss of sleep I ever had.

For the first 21 years of my life the Raiders were consistent contenders, winning their Division and going to four Super Bowls and winning three. Only the Pittsburgh Steelers had won more Super Bowls at that time. Life was good.

Since that time they have been wandering the desert of football futility, save for a brief blip in the early 2000s, culminating in losing the 2002 Super Bowl. 40 years of irrelevance with no end in sight. In that time they have moved back to Oakland and then moved completely out of California to Las Vegas.

SBXVIII-688x1024.jpeg.3bdd18d8d8e2dfc6505795bd73e65c60.jpeg

1200x0.thumb.jpg.5cf1c810bdaefab4d5dc0e9bb6b9ff35.jpg

In the 70’s the Raiders were the ones to fall back on as the 49ers really stunk in that decade, except for 1976 when they made a run that season til the wheels fell off and the stinkin’ Rams eventually took the division. 2 years straight after that for SF with 2 and 14 records. And then came Walsh & Montana. Lanny Middings was a hated letter writer to the Chronicle always praising the Rams and shitting on SF. 😄

7 hours ago, Strider said:

40 years ago today. January 22, 1984 was the last time the Raiders ended the season on top, winning Super Bowl XVIII in Tampa Bay. I was in Germany at the time and had to watch the game live in the wee hours of Monday morning over the Armed Forces Network. It's the best loss of sleep I ever had.

For the first 21 years of my life the Raiders were consistent contenders, winning their Division and going to four Super Bowls and winning three. Only the Pittsburgh Steelers had won more Super Bowls at that time. Life was good.

Since that time they have been wandering the desert of football futility, save for a brief blip in the early 2000s, culminating in losing the 2002 Super Bowl. 40 years of irrelevance with no end in sight. In that time they have moved back to Oakland and then moved completely out of California to Las Vegas.

SBXVIII-688x1024.jpeg.3bdd18d8d8e2dfc6505795bd73e65c60.jpeg

1200x0.thumb.jpg.5cf1c810bdaefab4d5dc0e9bb6b9ff35.jpg

I remember watching that game at my dad’s place. I so badly wanted Oakland to beat Joe Theisman. 

2 hours ago, Bong-Man said:

My 1991 divisional playoff ticket stub against the Cowboys. Also, the stub from my first Lions game.  Check out those prices. :wacko:  I remember people outraged at the $1.50 surcharge.

lions tickets.jpg

$10 doesn't get you anything in the NFL anymore. No parking, no hat or shirt, no game program...you can't even get a beer for $10 at a game.

1 hour ago, Strider said:

$10 doesn't get you anything in the NFL anymore. No parking, no hat or shirt, no game program...you can't even get a beer for $10 at a game.

$10 just to get to the game, and that’s on the bus. 😄

22 hours ago, Walter said:

I remember watching that game at my dad’s place. I so badly wanted Oakland to beat Joe Theisman. 

all cowboy fans wanted to beat Theisman lol, was invited  last may to westport ct. golf club where boyscouts of america were honoring a friend of mine  so my wife and i got dressed up and drove the hour, went to bar walked around and saw guest speaker, Joe Theisman, introduced my self , told him  how much I hated him and the hated Redskins but respected the hell out of them, we talked for 5 minutes alone, told him i had my Staubach shirt in the car , he told me go get it and i'll sign, i did and he signed it  with all the camera people there, if i ever can figure out how to  submit pictures someday i will lol, great guy

23 hours ago, Walter said:

And beat him they did! Thank you for your support that day. 

53 minutes ago, custard pie man said:

all cowboy fans wanted to beat Theisman lol, was invited  last may to westport ct. golf club where boyscouts of america were honoring a friend of mine  so my wife and i got dressed up and drove the hour, went to bar walked around and saw guest speaker, Joe Theisman, introduced my self , told him  how much I hated him and the hated Redskins but respected the hell out of them, we talked for 5 minutes alone, told him i had my Staubach shirt in the car , he told me go get it and i'll sign, i did and he signed it  with all the camera people there, if i ever can figure out how to  submit pictures someday i will lol, great guy

Wait a minute. You had a hated Redskin sign a hallowed Cowboy shirt? I'm not sure how Cowboy Nation will feel about that. Seems sacrilegious.

2 hours ago, Strider said:

And beat him they did! Thank you for your support that day. 

Wait a minute. You had a hated Redskin sign a hallowed Cowboy shirt? I'm not sure how Cowboy Nation will feel about that. Seems sacrilegious.

he told me Staubach was a hero of mine  to, all his people were amazed at the size of my balls when i walked in with #12 but as he said he would he  put shirt on my back with me holding it and signed Joe Theisman #7 go Redskins, and Strider  so far as cowboy nation goes, many still love and believe in Jerry and Dak  and I don't 😉

How long was Cowboys nation "daydreaming" about Belichick??? Maybe 2 days before Jerrah announced McCarthy was coming back. Not that firing him would've mattered--as I've said before, as long as Jones wants to be the face and voice of the franchise, they ain't winning a damn thing...

It's been so long since a successful Lion season that the end is going to be a bit sudden and rude, no matter what happens.  Local radio is reporting that 20-25% of the crowd will be Lions' fans. The only Lion swag I have is two winter hats. Somebody bought me a Johnny Morton jersey for Christmas many years ago.  He was traded 10 days later. :wacko:

However, I do have a beaded chain with a Lion logo attached I can wear around my neck. Thanks Strider! :D 

58 minutes ago, Bong-Man said:

It's been so long since a successful Lion season that the end is going to be a bit sudden and rude, no matter what happens.  Local radio is reporting that 20-25% of the crowd will be Lions' fans. The only Lion swag I have is two winter hats. Somebody bought me a Johnny Morton jersey for Christmas many years ago.  He was traded 10 days later. :wacko:

However, I do have a beaded chain with a Lion logo attached I can wear around my neck. Thanks Strider! :D 

You're welcome 2019 Season Champion! I know I picked San Francisco in the pool but I am hoping Detroit wins and makes its first trip to the Super Bowl and gives Detroit Rock City something to cheer about. Imagine the University of Michigan and Detroit winning the College and NFL titles in the same year!

On 1/27/2024 at 3:07 PM, Bong-Man said:

Great start!  You know I had forgotten the Lions beat KC on opening day!  Go Lions!  The Ravens gave that game away.  Lions inside the ten!  Good luck 🍀 Bonger

I’m so happy he kicked the FG.  Wanted points. Go Lions!  SF and KC both have trouble with run.  Halftime.  Praying Lions and Geoff win it all!  They sure as hell can!  Imagine that division next year.  The old black and blue. 

Baltimore has some serious questions to address from within...both coaches and players. 

Detroit is fine. Nobody expected them to get this far and they can build on this experience and move forward.

But Baltimore continually chokes in the playoffs...even when they seemingly have the leverage. Their failures are maddening.