2024 MLB Thread....

paul carruthers

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/39372743/adrian-beltre-joe-mauer-todd-helton-baseball-hall-fame

I guess it's congratulations to the three who got voted in & for some a head-scratcher to those who didn't get voted in. Myself, I find it hard to believe that Andruw Jones--one of the greatest centerfielders of all-time--is having this much trouble getting elected to Cooperstown....  😳

Hall of Fame voting baffles me sometimes.  Todd Helton gets in and Andruw Jones still does not.

Helton won 3 gold gloves at first base.

Jones won 10 gold gloves in centerfield.  Where do the best defensive players play?  SS/3B and centerfield.

Helton's batting stats are inflated by playing in Denver.  His home/away splits are very drastic. 

Jones home/away batting splits are all about even.

Jones had more home runs, and hit a few more of them away.

Helton hit 62% of his homers at home.

Helton slugging was 0.469 away and 0.607 at home.  

Jones away slugging was 0.496, home about the same.

In other words, by any measure, Jones was the better player.

On 1/25/2024 at 3:09 PM, Strider said:

Andruw Jones got screwed.

The Dodgers spent a billion dollars on two players. Will it matter? Or will they flame out in the playoffs again?

https://www.springtrainingcountdown.com

The Dodgers are fucking loaded.  Dodgers vs Orioles in the series!!!!  Book it.  Can you believe the fucking Yankees are favored to win the East?  Baltimore and Toronto tied for 2nd.  No fucking way are they beating us.  Thanks to Paul for starting this thread and getting us away from a football season to forget.

1 hour ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

The Dodgers are fucking loaded.  Dodgers vs Orioles in the series!!!!  Book it.  Can you believe the fucking Yankees are favored to win the East?  Baltimore and Toronto tied for 2nd.  No fucking way are they beating us.  Thanks to Paul for starting this thread and getting us away from a football season to forget.

The Dodgers are loaded every year. How much hardware has that netted them? Exactly one...in a shortened pandemic year.

Bally Sports goes bankrupt and they're supposedly going to be bought by Amazon.  You know what that means, and if I don't pay to watch the NFL, I'm sure not going to pay to watch baseball.

44 minutes ago, Bong-Man said:

Bally Sports goes bankrupt and they're supposedly going to be bought by Amazon.  You know what that means, and if I don't pay to watch the NFL, I'm sure not going to pay to watch baseball.

At least baseball doesnt have the crooked zebras the NFL has.  Look at the shit calls the Lions were victims of.  My Bills have been screwed by the zebras countless times. Ive been where you are today.  Wide right, Music City nightmare, 13 seconds, no goal.  

On 2/1/2024 at 9:37 AM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

At least baseball doesnt have the crooked zebras the NFL has.  Look at the shit calls the Lions were victims of.  My Bills have been screwed by the zebras countless times. Ive been where you are today.  Wide right, Music City nightmare, 13 seconds, no goal.  

That is because your Bufallo Bills SUCK.  Just admit it, They SUCK and CHOKE.  It is a Fact.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/2/2024 at 6:40 PM, kingzoso said:

That is because your Bufallo Bills SUCK.  Just admit it, They SUCK and CHOKE.  It is a Fact.

This is a baseball thread you idiot!  Speaking of which , my Orioles are like 10-1 in preseason.  They will be very good in the foreseeable future.  Think your Cards will win central?  I’m picking Cubs and maybe the Reds get a WC.  I’m picking Baltimore to win the AL East.  The Twins are heavy favorites in AL Central.  The AL Wedt is the toughest division IMO to pick, with Houston, Texas and Seattle all having a shot.  Atlanta and Dodgers should win theirs going away. 

• 2 weeks later...

These opening Dodger games in Korea are messing with my sleep schedule. I could do without the K-Pop interludes.

And then, after these two official opening games, the Dodgers and Padres fly back to the U.S. for more spring training games. As PC noted, another Rob Manfred fuck up.

Edited by Strider

26 minutes ago, Strider said:

These opening Dodger games in Korea are messing with my sleep schedule. I could do without the K-Pop interludes.

And then, after these two official opening games, the Dodgers and Padres fly back to the U.S. for more spring training games. As PC noted, another Rob Manfred fuck up.

I just dont like it. Playing two games overseas that count while the other teams are still playing pre season.  And now your telling me they are playing more pre season games?  Crazy.  Look at what the Orioles are doing in pre season.   Just killing it. I hope this continues into the regular season , we will be without Bradish and Means for a bit.  Means will be ready sooner.  Like mid to late April.  So until then, Burnes ( acquired from Milwaukee), and Grayson Rodriguez and Kremer will be the first 3.  Then Wells.  Then I believe maybe Irvin, who has pitched well.  But getting Means and Bradish back will be a huge help.  They  also have the former Braves pitcher Teheren I believe, but he may have been assigned to minors for now?  Zimmerman too sent to minors.  The lineup for Dodgers is formidable. So too is Texas and Baltimore.  Jackson Holiday might be in O's lineup opening day?  The lineup is deep and scary.  It might be the best lineup we have on the field since the early 70s, and likely deeper.  20-5 in preseson are my  Orioles.  

Rain in forcast in Baltimore area.  Also there is the bridge disaster yesterday.  Unsure if that has any impact on the stadium traffic?   Im sure the news is not good on those that they have not found.  Terrible.  

As for the team many are pretty shocked that Jackson Holiday is starting the season in AAA.

2 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

I'm watching the game right now, looks like the same old Angels. Same old, sorry ass Angels....

Hahaha. Angels fans lose their mind when Mike Trout hits the first home run of the 2024 season. Only for reality to hit as the Orioles start clobbering them...going up 5-1 by the second inning and 11-1 after the 7th inning. Angels in typical mid-season form.

13 hours ago, Strider said:

Hahaha. Angels fans lose their mind when Mike Trout hits the first home run of the 2024 season. Only for reality to hit as the Orioles start clobbering them...going up 5-1 by the second inning and 11-1 after the 7th inning. Angels in typical mid-season form.

I saw at least two infield errors.  They looked like little league players.  This will be a long season for the Angels.  I picked them last but then I remembered Oakland is in that division.  They are going through the motions there as they await a new location.  Its sad to see.  The A's were always good years back.  I remember some classics between Jim Palmer vs Vida Blue.  The Angels will finish 2nd last.  If your lucky.  LOL.  The likes of Houston, Texas and Seattle, all whom could make the playoffs and I predict they will.  I like the Orioles chances big time in the East. The Dodgers came out of the gates swinging.