The Pro Wrestling thread....

Like the title says, this is the thread to share thoughts, or videos about rasslin'. I guess I should share some of my own thoughts about the sport.

I got into wrestling at a young age, mainly being an NWA/WCW kid. Sting, Flair, Steamboat, those were my guys.

I liked the WWF too, but, for the most part, I enjoyed the in ring action a lot better in WCW.   

I don't watch modern era wrestling, aside from YouTube keeping me up to speed about WWE, and AEW I already gave up on--that place is the drizzling shits....

• sam_webmaster changed the title to The Pro Wrestling thread....

My era was long ago at a place called Cobo Arena and Big-Time Wrestling, based in Detroit and hosted by lord Athel Layton.  My best friend loved the Shiek, but I was a Pampero Firpo & Stomper fan.  Guys like Wild Bull Curry and Tex Mackenzie were still hanging around from the 1950's. The Dick the Bruiser character would survive for years on Detroit morning radio. The peak for me was The Stomper & Ben Justice vs. The Kangaroo Bros. in tag team. Broke the Stomper's leg those nasty brothers did.  I stopped watching right about during the first Magnificent Zulu era when they merged with another circuit.

I don't watch professional/amateur wrestling or any boxing for that matter these days.   

I have heard reports--a lot, actually--that WWE's current product has gotten a lot better, since they squeezed out "Dirty, old Vince McMahon," and his son-in-law Triple H took over the booking, but I'm still apprehensive about tuning in. Especially if Raw is 3 hours long. That was one of WCW's original blunders, when they expanded Nitro to 3 hours back in the day. 

Anyways, I still have outlets like Youtube & Peacock to watch videos of the glory days from the 80s, 90s and early 2000s....

This was rasslin' to me as a 10-11 year old. Live Saturday nights in a local tv studio. Not sure where this was filmed, but Tojo was fixture in Birmingham.

Back in 87 my job sent me to NOLA for a week. I was in the airport coming back home and here comes all these wrestlers getting off a plane. Von Erics , Freebirds ,Abdula the Butcher, Bruiser Brody, Rick Rood , i talked to a few of them , pretty nice guys. They were wrestling at the SuperDome. There was one tho...Killer Tim Brooks that fucker growled at me lol very unapproachable . 

The Wrestling in Australia when i was a young kid was limited to watching Wide World of Sports on a sunday that went for 3+ hours and covered anything/everything sport around the globe, would bore the shit out of us (my brother and me) but we'd be there on the floor in front of the tele until finally, the wrestling! That was Hogan and Andre era. Sergeant Slaughter and the Iron Sheik (which was just so exciting for us kids) And Pipers pit. My favourite of those years was George 'the animal' Steel. What a genius character. I fondly remember that green tongue biting those turnbuckles...

Mean Jean Okerlund, was incredibly funny.

I went back to the wrestling in the attitude era as it was insane how good it got. We'd watch mostly for the stuff between the matches as it was just so funny and entertaining. Golddust was hilarious. The Rock and his various catch cries that never seemed to get old, and Mankind. The whole thing was epic. We went to the Global Warning wrestling tour in Melbourne (wife and I) and spent good money to get close to ring seats. Was as good as we'd hoped it would be. We got to keep the fold up chairs with the WWF Global Warning logo on them, still have them today.

Can't get into it now. The characters are just not as good. How could they be? Stone Cold, Undertaker and Kane, HHH, Vince when he was such a great heal, he Rock, then Steph and Shane, it was just so damn good in that era....