LED ZEPPELIN Photographs Uncovered After Thirty Years

JulieLuvsRobert

r216293_842071.jpg

January 15, 2007

Blabbermouth.net

Australian Broadcasting Corporation reports: It was 1972, and the world's biggest band of the time, LED ZEPPELIN, was due to play at the Sydney Showground. No one was to know it would become one of the great concerts, and thankfully, photographer Ted Harvey was there to capture the moment. But the discovery of these images seems more a result of "accidental archiving."

Ted came across his extraordinary images three years ago when he conducted a search of his many rock music photographs when someone enquired about his work as a freelance photographer in the 1970's.

Ted had photographed the likes of PINK FLOYD, JETHRO TULL, DEEP PURPLE and CAT STEVENS. After he took these shots of LED ZEPPELIN in Sydney, he met the band and enjoyed a stroll in Kings Cross with Robert Plant. He recalls Plant started to sing at the top of his lungs without a passer by seeming to notice! Now based in the Northern Rivers, Harvey has fond memories of the ZEPPELIN concert that Sunday, February 27, 1972.

Read more at Australian Broadcasting Corporation.

http://www.abc.net.au/sydney/stories/s2137992.htm?sydney

I went yesterday. I was surprised at how many photos there actually were. There were some great ones of John and Jimmy together and a beautiful shot of all four of them during their acoustic set. There were also photos from the Sydney press conference and some really fascinating crowd shots as well.

I missed the first few minutes of the talk Cactus, but I think it was just introductory stuff. Ted told some funny anecdotes about the band and the concert. Like how Robert started filming the crowd but he was panning the camera too fast and Ted was so frustrated because he couldn't get up to the stage to tell Robert to slow down when he panned the crowd. So that part comes up kind of blurry on the film! He also said it was really hard to get good shots of John because he was too busy with his head down, smashing away at his drums. :D

He said they were really nice, normal and very generous guys and that they were really in awe to be in Australia because it was so different to America and England at the time. He showed us a tour t-shirt and a copy of Zeppelin IV that Robert signed and gave to Ted's little brother for his 18th birthday. And he told us how Robert was so happy to be able to send a postcard from Australia to his old school principle who told him he'd never amount to anything! :D

He also said the crowd was very reverential and at one stage they were getting a bit rowdy and Robert asked everyone to sit down, and this sea of people all just sat down in unison and became very calm and quiet. He thought that was pretty special to see. One of the best things he pointed out was just how different things were back then, how the crowd were not so hung up on the celebrity of musicians as they tend to be now. They were all just there to hear good music, whoever the band happened to be.

A lot of the people there had been to the concert too, so it was really good to hear them talking about what it was like. I'll definitely be going back to hear some more of the guest speakers and have another look. They said they might have something special planned for the anniversary of the concert as well, I think Feb 27. It was a great exhibition. I hope it tours and everyone gets a chance to see it.

Edited by Cali

I second Cali's mention of the picture show touring! If the picture show makes it to the USA, then it will probably make it to Minneapolis since Minneapolis is considered (by many) to be the artistic hotspot of the Midwest. Plus, we typically do have the big traveling art shows stop here so I am keeping my fingers crossed!

Attn: Cactus & Cali did you make it to the exibition? How much were the tickets? I read somewhere that they were only $4/$6. That seems very reasonable and almost too reasonable considering it's for charity -- perhaps they are relying on the generosity of people to chip in a little more if one can... Anyway, how was the show? Did you see a lot of pictures that you had not seen before? Any indication that the show may go on the road?

Thank you for any updates and opinions of the show!

Yeah, the tickets were only $4 for concession and kids, $6 for adults. Talk about value for money! There was a donation box inside the gallery and everyone was donating as far as I saw. Also, 100% of the cost of the the t-shirts, posters etc. go straight to the charity. And of course the limited edition prints themselves were for sale, 100% going to the charity as well. I wish I could afford one! It's really generous of Ted I think. He also had some photos on display in the cafe next door, showing his photos from a tour of Brazil that he took as part of his charity work. They were beautiful photos in themselves.

I had a look on the Internet and as far as I can see not many of the exhibition photos are online. I could be wrong though. I personally hadn't seen most of them. I was just surprised at how many there were and that he could forget about them for so long! Someone asked if there would be a tour. They said they weren't sure, but there was always the possibility. They seemed to be keeping their options open about it all, so keep your fingers crossed!

Edited by Cali

How much were the tickets? I read somewhere that they were only $4/$6. That seems very reasonable and almost too reasonable considering it's for charity -- perhaps they are relying on the generosity of people to chip in a little more if one can... Anyway, how was the show? Did you see a lot of pictures that you had not seen before? Any indication that the show may go on the road?

Thank you for any updates and opinions of the show!

I believe the entrance price went to the gallery (operated by the National Trust and therefore not-for-profit).

The sale of the prints is going to the rockphotoaid charity. His assistant (who made all the prints and did the restoration) has links with the ABC charity in the UK I believe and through this contact they were both given tickets to the O2 show (due to the reschedule, they couldnt go and sold the tickets for 5000 quid each for charity).

The pictures were all new to me, not that I have looked too hard before. The quality of the prints is perfect and the images are great - some usual action shots of Jimmy pouting, Robert strutting, Bonzo bashing and JPJ cool as a cucumber. Nice shots of the crowd, who are all very skinny and very hairy (now all grandparents with grey hair i suppose).

Also interesting were the 'responses' from other artists. There were some cast lead (led) symbols from IV up on a wall, a black dog singing sculpture and some other more esoteric things - sculpture of a man with 4 legs imploding (the artist's response to hearing IV for the first time).

Anyone with the cash to spare should think about buying one or two of these, they are limited edition, signed, COA etc etc.